• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What characters do you think are overrated/underrated in the series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Vulpes XIII

Awards
For me it would be:

Overrated characters

Aqua - I honestly don’t understand where Aqua popularity comes from since she comes across as kind of boring in my opinion. I hear her get praise for her personality but other characters have those exact same personality traits as well so there not unique to her and I get that she was the first playable female character but that isn’t the case anymore since there is mission mode in Days and there is also the Kairi segment In Re:mind.

Lea - I really did like Axel as a character in KH2/ Chain of Memories as he was a really interesting and entertaining character however the moment he turned back into Lea his character seemed to lose what made him a great character in the first place.

Underrated

Xion - Honestly I really like Xion as a character and she one of my favourites and I don’t think she deserves as much hate as she gets as I really enjoyed her character overall as well as her story and I think her friendship with Axel and Roxas was really good and I really enjoyed seeing them reunite in KH3 as well as her teaming up with Sora and Roxas against Saix as it was one of my favourite moments in the game and just hearing Roxas and Xion theme songs combined into one was amazing.

Namine - At first I didn’t really care for her character all that much as I just thought she was an ok character but after KH3 I appreciate her character a lot more and I think she should get a chance to interact with the other characters.

What characters does everyone else think are either overrated or underrated and why?

disney233

Awards
Overrated characters - Aqua aaaaand...Every and ANY fucking iteration of Sora, Riku and Xehanort.
Underrated characters - Everyone that isn't.
And this series shows who's who.

Literally, we see more screentime of Sora, Riku, or ANY character that stems off of Sora and Riku than anyone else. I...still don't know where Namine falls in this category, but I agree that she and a certain other character seems just...severely underutilized. I think this entire community knows who this certain other character is, by now.

Another thing I agree on is Aqua. She broke the mold and she too is just...overused. But by now I've already expressed how I...just don't really care for most of the trios, so...I can't say I care much about her.

palizinhas

Awards
Overrated:

Ventus. I don't dislike him, exactly, but people have this fondness for the character I do not understand. He's a plot device in every game he's ever been in and his personality is 'Flavorless Sora'. I remember being interested in him being in khux when he was first revealed, and then it turned out he was a plot device once again.

Also, the khux cast in general. I think most of them have good designs and all, but people make this big deal about how well written they are when they all have like one personality trait each if even that much. I know people hate trios, but I think if there were less important Union Cross characters than the five+Strelitzia+Player we got it would have been easier to make them more interesting - maybe make Ephemer and Brain into one character or something.

I agree about Lea. I think after he came back in DDD he lost a lot of the edge that made Axel interesting before - to the point his "I will always be there to bring you back" threat from Days is used as a friendship thing.

Underrated:

Naminé for sure. She's one of the series' most unique characters, and people don't give her enough credit. I blame canon for this a little bit because after CoM she became Exposition Girl instead of her own character, but like. Nami is fun.

Riku Replica as well. He got one of the worst fates in the series and pretty much no one cares. I don't think he's that revolutionary as a character - I think Xion got the better story out of the Replicas, just because "clone baits original into killing her to protect them" is more interesting for me than "clone loses his mind and tries to murder original" - but he's cool, and I came to really appreciate him after KH3.

Terra too. I find him the most decently written BBS character - it doesn't feel like he changes his opinions on things on the drop of the hat depending on what the scene requires the way Ven and Aqua do - and I just genuinely like him. I do not understand how he's less liked than Ventus.

D

Deleted member 246005

Overatted-
Yozora- As a Noctis fan I'm wary of him. I actually thought Verum Rex worked more as a tongue in cheek gag. I'll try and keep an open mind.

Roxas- I liked him in 2 but he was poorly used in Days. Plus I felt Days was unnecessary.

Xion- comes across as a bad fanfic OC. Maybe a future story can redeem her?

Sora- he started out decent in 1 but I just lost interest in him as I got older.

Xehanort- never really cared for him. Nomura's attempts at making him a Thanos level character didn't work.

Kairi- never really cared for her and Nomura never changed my mind. She is the picture of wasted potential.

Underrated-

Ansem the Wise- he is a more interesting and nuanced antagonist than Xehanort. I wished 2 used him more. His reveal is a retcon that actually works.

Eraqus- he's in the same boat as Ansem to me. He helped ground TAV as characters and helps them be more relatable. Plus I felt sorry for him.

Ventus- he's a more charming version of Sora. I wished the lost memory plot was better handled.

Last edited by a moderator:

kaseykockroach

Awards
I think Pete is kind of underrated. While he is usually looked down on for being incompetent and bringing down Maleficent I kind of appreciate and like him on some level. He has his own unique charm.
I think that dynamic actually would have worked even better if Riku-Ansem stuck around, or some variation on that. Maleficent, Pete and ‘evil’ Riku would have made a fun trio!...though I recognize KH fetishizes trios a bit much as is.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Overrated:
Lea
Xemnas
Old Xehanort
Vanitas
Xigbar
Ventus

Underrated:
Repliku
Larxene
Vexen
Xaldin
Sora

I was thinking more of the fandom when deciding. This place is really my only point for reference, and Namine seems pretty popular even if the games themselves pay her dust. I think the hatred for Sora, Riku, and Aqua is resentment that they get to be in the driver's seat most.... But a lot of casuals like me just don't want to constantly shift to other, inferior characters, SNS.

Last edited:

darknessofheart

Awards
Overrated: I might have to go with Hades. I found his story arc in KH2 to be the perfect conclusion to his character and that world in general with Sora and gang becoming true heroes. Yeah, it was cool we got Thebes and Olympus in KH3 but Hades' plans felt more forced and contrived and opened more questions about what happened in Hercules' world in the past (were the Titans ever free before and how did Hercules actually become a hero if they were all never freed before).

Same thing with BBS, his inclusion was underwhelming. Also, I felt James Woods was really overacting in KH3. In KH2, his voice acting was perfect. Nomura has since said he is fond of the character and wants to continue to use him, which worries me. He's not nearly as bad as Maleficent's inclusion, but I could see it happening if he is used further.

Underrated: Xaldin. He was perhaps the most nobody like out of the entire original organization. He knew who he was and didn't waste time trying to justify his actions or make jokes. He sounded truly emotionless and dead on the inside. Voice actor did an amazing job in conveying that. All business and that made defeating him so satisfying.

Last edited:
Awards
If I had to name an overrated character, I would probably say Demyx. I still haven't figured why he's even in the Organization. But to be fair, as soon as his true identity is revealed it will possibly make him a more interesting character.

Foxycian

Awards
Mod post: Please do not be hostile to other people’s opinions. If I see anymore of it, I will issue out temporary bans.
My comment wasn’t hostile... and it was my opinion lol, but I guess me stating facts cause I called out his bs bias comment is making it seem like I’m attacking him...

Huh ok, if that conversation is enough to ban someone then oh well, I said everything that i wanted to say in this website and I’m satisfied so yea... sure you can ban me I stopped caring at this point🤷

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
My comment wasn’t hostile... and it was my opinion lol, but I guess me stating facts cause I called out his bs bias comment is making it seem like I’m attacking him...

Huh ok, if that conversation is enough to ban someone then oh well, I said everything that i wanted to say in this website and I’m satisfied so yea... sure you can ban me I stopped caring at this point 🤷

Your second comment:

i know your comment is full of biases lol, but sure you can think I’m a stalker, but know this... if you’re the last person on this planet I would rather die than stalking you

That is hostile language.

Foxycian

Awards
Your second comment:

That is hostile language.
Ok if you think that is hostile then fair enough but what was hostile about my first comment? Are we not allowed to share our opinion or reply to someone? Did someone ask you to remove it lmao? Either way there was no need to delete my first comment cause it was not hostile...

Edit: also when you quoted my second comment I wish at least that you would’ve listed it all, cause you cutting the first half make it seem like I’m attacking him or something

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Ok if you think that is hostile then fair enough but what was hostile about my first comment? Are we not allowed to share our opinion or reply to someone? Did someone ask you to remove it lmao? Either way there was no need to delete my first comment cause it was not hostile...
You are implicating bias on a person’s opinion, and was the source of the discussion that led to the hostile language toward Elysian.

Instead of leaving half of the comment chain, I deleted all of the related posts to create a clean slate.

Foxycian

Awards
You are implicating bias on a person’s opinion, and was the source of the discussion that led to the hostile language toward Elysian.

Instead of leaving half of the comment chain, I deleted all of the related posts to create a clean slate.
Um ok but since you removed it then here, I will write it since I remember most of it👇

“at this point you’re being bias cause you’re not being honest with your answer”

Yea not sure how is this offensive cause all i said is the truth, and it was harmless comment

Edit: But ok I get it you were worried it might start a war (even tho Elysium clearly backed away quick and had no intention of continuing) so I guess It’s fine.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I won't include Sora on either category by virtue of being the protagonist. Of course he's going to get a lot of fans and haters.

Overrated
Ven - Too "sweet" with the whole cinnamon roll bit.
Strelitzia - I can't believe I wrote this, but I am just so over it. We get it, she's the driving force of conflict between the new leaders, but she appeared in such a short time she's lost all relevance after the sibling reveal.

Underrated
UX party - not the party the player is in; I'm talking about the party with Mog and Bandana Girl in it. After a couple of missions, they just fell off the face of the earth, seriously?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Overrated:

Xion. Won't go any further since we've had numerous discussions about her and I don't want to derail the topic.

Axel comes in as a close second, because we had to pay the price for his being so overrated. A classic example of too much of a good thing; his popularity led the devs to keep him around past his expiration date and now he's squandered much of the goodwill allotted to him. This character has been on a downward spiral since recompletion but the rest of his trio is so beloved that they manage to prop him up by mere association.

Underrated:

Terra. Seriously, this guy has all the makings to be one of the most popular characters but people only ever want to dunk on him for his failings because he's an easy target.

Brain's Chirithy. The greatest disappointment I had in UX is giving us pets instead of just letting us dress Chirithy up in cute outfits. Where is he? Bring him back. His little hat and booties are greatly missed ;A;

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
Upon reading all comments I feel like some folks here are just sharing about who is their favorites and least favorites rather then who is overrated and who is underrated lol.

I think the best answer I can give for this topic is.. it depends on the viewer, because tbh every character whether he/she is amazing or not still has had their fair share of being overrated at some point, so it really is about the viewers perspective.

that’s all I got to say.

Last edited:
Back