• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What purpose does religion have these days?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com
Why can't we just let people believe what they want to believe, and leave them to it? As long as their practices don't interfere with anyone else's practices (or lack thereof), I don't see a problem with religion. I don't see a problem with being non-religious either.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
The earliest religons were little more than superstition and did not deal with morality but instead were basically there to explain natural phenomena that people previously couldn't explain.

And then came with the Abrahamic faiths who were focused on the instruction of mankind. All of the were inherently good and positive effects in their own community when first preached. However the evils they abolished eventually evolved and religon doesn't evolve but the believers can. However, many of them didn't.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
Why can't we just let people believe what they want to believe, and leave them to it? As long as their practices don't interfere with anyone else's practices (or lack thereof), I don't see a problem with religion. I don't see a problem with being non-religious either.

The world doesn't work like that; people like the idea of a utopia in which everyone believes in things they do, or thinks of things the way they do. It's all a natural conflict, and considering religion is one of the most prominent factors in history, society and humanity, people are going to want to talk about it. Unfortunately there are religious/non-religious fanatics who don't know when to give the opposition space which is where you get your arguments.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
The world doesn't work like that; people like the idea of a utopia in which everyone believes in things they do, or thinks of things the way they do. It's all a natural conflict, and considering religion is one of the most prominent factors in history, society and humanity, people are going to want to talk about it. Unfortunately there are religious/non-religious fanatics who don't know when to give the opposition space which is where you get your arguments.

I disagree, I'd hate to live in a society where everyone was the same faith as me. Though that sounds a bit selfish on my part.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
I disagree, I'd hate to live in a society where everyone was the same faith as me. Though that sounds a bit selfish on my part.

It's a general statement. I'd have thought people like the feeling of being 'right', if you catch me.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website

You think I don't know that? I'm not that naive. I live in the South. There's a church on every street corner. Even within Protestantism there's different sects that don't agree with any other sect's beliefs, and as such they automatically write the other sect's beliefs as being "wrong." And that's if you're Christian. If you're of another faith, or are agnostic, then the "Church-going" people look at you like you're not worth the dirt they walk on.

And anyway, I don't believe in "my faith is right, every other faith is wrong" mindset. The way I see it, all beliefs and religions are valid.

PowerIsNothing

If I took the word 'god' out of that and put in 'big bang', it would still make sense.

Anyway, yeah, uh, not a religious person myself since I was brought up in a religion-less household (religion or the concept of atheism or "god hating" has never been a factor in my life) though I do find it very interesting. What I coin 'mythology' is very interesting to read and is great for ideas.

I was raised in a similar household. A lot of my family believe that there may be a god, but do not believe in any Religion 100%. Whether there is a higher power or not, I don't know and I never will know(not while alive atleast)neither will anyone else. This is the problem I have with Militant Athiests, they are no different than the Religions they criticize with the "I'm right, your wrong" ideology.

By the way I also view the Bible and other such Religious texts as Mythology. I love to read the bible despite not being an agnostic.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
It's a general statement. I'd have thought people like the feeling of being 'right', if you catch me.

Meh, that would take the fun out of it. There's just something so alluring about divine mystery and all the possibilites that are out there.

Just my opinion.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
Meh, that would take the fun out of it. There's just something so alluring about divine mystery and all the possibilites that are out there.

Just my opinion.

I agree; while I'm not religious like I said, I think the world would be an extremely boring place without religion. I mean, yeah, we wouldn't have all the stuff that goes on that is connected to religion - good and bad - but it'd still be uneventful.

Which is why I'm thankful for Old Norse & Greek. <3

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
I agree; while I'm not religious like I said, I think the world would be an extremely boring place without religion. I mean, yeah, we wouldn't have all the stuff that goes on that is connected to religion - good and bad - but it'd still be uneventful.

Which is why I'm thankful for Old Norse & Greek. <3

Greek mythology is my favorite. Not familiar with Old Norse.

PowerIsNothing

Just my opinion.

I agree with this.

I went to a School and everyday we would have to Pray a Christian Prayer, even though we had Muslims and Hindu's in the School. Which was really boring, I was interested in different faiths and thought it was lame that everbody had to read off the bible all the time.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
can everyone read this before they post in this thread
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley : chapter seventeen

ok thanks
A very interesting read. But we're talking about religion; Aldous Huxley talks about God and Shakespeare. How do you suggest they're related?

Solar said:
The earliest religons were little more than superstition and did not deal with morality but instead were basically there to explain natural phenomena that people previously couldn't explain.
I'm not sure that religion ever has been just a patchwork of superstitions to cover up natural phenomena, though it can certainly be turned to those purposes. But religion seems to me always a structure, usually fairly comprehensive, for ordering the universe as it extends beyond us. Whether or not that structure includes what we now think of as morality seems to me of secondary importance.

Last edited:

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
A very interesting read. But we're talking about religion; Aldous Huxley talks about God and Shakespeare. How do you suggest they're related?

contextually; that whole chapter's a conversation between the savage [interested in religion, but kept from it because of the government in BNW] and basically the world controller, who restricted everything to do with God. so, reasons and purposes for it. of course it's just fiction but, like you said, interesting.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure that religion ever has been just a patchwork of superstitions to cover up natural phenomena, though it can certainly be turned to those purposes. But religion seems to me always a structure, usually fairly comprehensive, for ordering the universe as it extends beyond us. Whether or not that structure includes what we now think of as morality seems to me of secondary importance.

The Greek and Sumerian gods didn't seem to discuss anything about the universe, but more like "lightning happens because zeus is mad"

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
A moral guide or something to define 'your' opinions, and for stupid or ignorant, a guide to science/reality/history.

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
I'm not religious, but I can appreciate the therapeutic aspects of it, or even the passion and commitment that people draw from it.

I've always found that religion's main purpose was for people to find solace in unanswerable questions. People like the thought of life having a purpose. Science doesn't really give you a purpose for life, unless you find that reproduction in keeping a human populace, an answer. Or if you find that life is really just a life. But to most I don't think they like that idea because it's just not as fulfilling as living for a god or any other belief or entity. People like the thought of immortality; of it continuing even after the body is broken. Another thing science cannot answer for sure. Hell, like I said, I'm not religious, but I do like the thought of life continuing even after I die. The thought of not existing terrifies me even when people tell me that (of course) I wouldn't realize it.

No one can stamp a fact to life's creation, or the beginning of time, because facts leave no room for reasonable doubt. Sure science has given us the Big Bang theory backed up with spatial expansion of the universe (which seems pretty factual to me), but in the end, it's just theory. Religion isn't anymore, or less, theoretical than a scientific theory, because theory is just that, it's not fact, thus everyone can have reasonable doubt which leads to other ideas or beliefs.

This may just be a tad off topic, but sometimes I amuse myself with the thought of how can anything be a fact? To me, we'd have to know everything, for certain, for any fact to exist. But that's just my line of thinking. Whatever.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Also, religion can give people a sense of connection and community. It lets you know you're not alone, you're part of this much greater thing, both spiritually and in the real world, like when you go to church etc. The structure that organised religion brings can give hope and stability to people, I think... especially in times of need.

But I think that personal spirituality can be just as important as organised religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back