• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Square Enix Shifting Away From Social Games

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

We all know how it has felt this past year with Square Enix releasing one social game after another. KINGDOM HEARTS χ[chi] and THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU -Live Remix- were both announced in 2012 along with other social games for poupular Square Enix brands to little fanfare, and while they are sometimes fun like KINGDOM HEARTS Mobile that will be ending in April, many of them have been like FINAL FANTASY ALL THE BRAVEST where in-app purchases are required to unlock premium content to enhance the game experience. There have been waves of criticism from Square Enix fans around the world over the company's sudden social game addiction that seems to be a way to make easy money, but we may be in for a respite soon enough.

Takehiro Ando, one of the producers for Square Enix's mobile/social gaming division, regularly updated a blog a few months ago on Famitsu's website with upcoming social and mobile game developments from the company and today he posted a new update, "Good bye, social games.", which details the rise and fall of social gaming from Square Enix as well as the company's decision to concentrate on high quality games for their hardcore audience. Ando mentions how since the release of Square Enix's first social title, Knights of the Crystal, many of the subsequent titles have been copies and reskins of other social and gashapon games. While social games have brought Square Enix new fans, it has alienated many of their console and handheld gamers which has led to this shift away from social gaming.

Ando ends the blog post stating that Square Enix plans to release internally developed "epic and famous" games throughout the year, which seems to give us hope we might be getting closer to the games we've been waiting for all of these years. Ando seems to be talking about mobile games that are more suited for the hardcore gaming audience, but that does not eliminate the hope of hearing about more non-mobile titles throughout the year.

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 ReMIX is coming out next week on the 14th in Japan, and later in the fall for North America and Europe, so perhaps we'll get an announcement for a second KINGDOM HEARTS HD remaster or even a small comment on KINGDOM HEARTS III sometime in the near future? Tell us what you think about Square Enix's shift from social gaming!

Source: NeoGaf, Famitsu

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Thank god.
Square Enix started to get really crazy with their in-app purchase. Requiring 95% of the game to be purchased AFTER the initial purchase was crazy.
Kinda glad to see it die, but I'm still upset we'll never get a sequel or a remake of the VCast game :(
[video=youtube;SjhOvtmsHwk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjhOvtmsHwk [/video]

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
What does this mean for KH Chi and the TWEWY social game? I mean, obviously for a social game to function it needs continued support and if one of the producers of SE's social division is saying bye bye to social gaming, could both of those game's lifespan be significantly shorter than their past ones?

Awards
Yeah, I suppose they saw all the 'figures' concerning people gaming on ios and wanted to get in on the action.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What does this mean for KH Chi and the TWEWY social game? I mean, obviously for a social game to function it needs continued support and if one of the producers of SE's social division is saying bye bye to social gaming, could both of those game's lifespan be significantly shorter than their past ones?

They aren't stopping support of social games. They are just going to stop/slow down on the development on them.

kupo1121

Awards
They aren't stopping support of social games. They are just going to stop/slow down on the development on them.

Oh good! I actually really like the way KH Chi and TWEWY Live Remix are turning out because they both look really cool, even if their chance of coming overseas is under 5% xP

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Perhaps Takehiro Ando will work on Chaos Rings III (if applicable) or a new IP all together. If Square Enix recognizes that mobile games can easily be imitated, then they might stray away from publishing new mobile games all together unless certain requirements for uniqueness are met.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Oh good! I actually really like the way KH Chi and TWEWY Live Remix are turning out because they both look really cool, even if their chance of coming overseas is under 5% xP
Well, Kingdom Hearts X is online, so I'm just assuming that it will be available to play for everyone, just not in english(unless they surprise everyone with an english feature)

Hooray!
No more crappy, childish mobile games!
Bring on the hardcore stuff! KH2.5HD, FFVS13, KH3!
Well, I wouldn't call them childish.
The best thing we got out of this was a portable version of TWEWY.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Perhaps Takehiro Ando will work on Chaos Rings III (if applicable) or a new IP all together. If Square Enix recognizes that mobile games can easily be imitated, then they might stray away from publishing new mobile games all together unless certain requirements for uniqueness are met.

Well they want to do more games developed internally as most of their social games have been outsourced. So let's hope for new mobile IPs (and console games too)

Hooray!

They didn't say they were stopping mobile gaming. Remember Ando is talking on a mobile gaming blog. They have released some fantastic mobile games throughout the years like Chaos Rings/Chaos Ring Omega/Chaos Rings II, The World Ends With You -Solo Remix-, Demon Score, and Final Fantasy Dimensions. This shift from social gaming might give us quality mobile games rather than hundreds of the game social games, or even new console developments. We'll have to see what Square Enix does throughout 2013.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
Hooray!

Do you really think the development of a few social and mobile games is what's been holding up those projects all this time? I'm sure this will have little to no effect on the timing of VSXIIII and KHIII's release.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, just a note: most of these social games were outsourced to other companies, and they have a dedicated mobile department for internally developed mobile games.

kupo1121

Awards
Well, Kingdom Hearts X is online, so I'm just assuming that it will be available to play for everyone, just not in english(unless they surprise everyone with an english feature)

Oh yeah! That is good! Since it is social, it is most likely you'll be able to meet other players there...if we can type in English (I don't see why not)...KHI meetup!!!

-Roxas-XIII-

Do you really think the development of a few social and mobile games is what's been holding up those projects all this time? I'm sure this will have little to no effect on the timing of VSXIIII and KHIII's release.

Yes, I know that. Publishing companies and development companies are (usually) two separate groups.

The point is, I'm not at all sad about SE's games like KH mobile (and other similar ones) going the way of the dinosaur. I've just never had any interest in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back