• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Square Enix's IP Policies: Reboot, Create, Collaborate

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

The games industry and market is something that evolves constantly, leading to the constant and sometimes unexpected changes being made by developers in order to adapt to the new trends. While new-generation consoles such as the PS4 and Xbox One continue to flourish in the west, their growth appears significantly stunted outside of those regions. On the other hand, smart devices outright dominate the international market, resulting in intense competition. And when you consider the latest developments in augmented and virtual reality as well, it becomes painfully clear how much more difficult it is to plan for future endeavors when everything changes as often and drastically.

In a response to this, Square Enix has established their three key IP policies, revealed in the outline of their Results Briefing held on May 12, 2015.

1. To strengthen and reboot existing IPs (Example: Tomb Raider 2013)
  2. To create new IPs.
  3. To collaborate with partner companies (Example: Dragon Quest Heroes w/ Koei Tecmo)

They firmly believe that by following these three key policies, they will be able to provide new and better content and services for many years to come.

You can read the full excerpt below:

This is Yosuke Matsuda, President.I will explain the future business outlook, as well as our strategies.

In the console market, PS4 seems to be doing especially well, mainly in the West. We believe both PS4 and Xbox One are continuing to grow. We contributed to enhancement of the domestic PS4 market through the launches of “DRAGON QUEST HEROES,” and “FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD,” which encloses the trial version of “FINAL FANTASY XV,” However, we expect the Western markets to remain the key growth areas.The smart device market is also continuing to expand. However, the number of players in the market is also increasing, mainly in the domestic market, making the competition extremely intense.

I believe the general view towards this market is that various devices are becoming connected to the internet, and the business model is getting increasingly diversified.Meanwhile, AR (augmented reality) and VR (virtual reality) devices are entering the commercialization phase. We too are monitoring this trend with great interest, and considering various initiatives.It is getting more difficult to form a view on the business outlook, with the rapid changes in market environment and the increasing diversity.

Under these circumstances, our job is to provide exciting and enjoyable content services, which is in line with the pursuit of our core value. This will remain unchanged, regardless of the business environment.In order to do this, it is important to maintain a rich pipeline to respond to the aforementioned changes in market environment, and continuing to provide new services and content.

There are three key IP policies.

First is to strengthen and reboot our existing IPs. We would like to focus on how to utilize the numerous assets of content that we have nurtured so far, and apply them to the latest trend. As for the platform, we would like to use consoles and smart devices in parallel. Just focusing on one platform is not enough. We believe it is significant to serve both platforms, if we are to offer game content and services that appeal to the new generation.

The second policy is to create new IPs. I cannot disclose much at this moment, but we are working on various initiatives, including some experimental projects. 

So far, we have created IPs for a wide range of platforms, including consoles, smart devices, PCs and publication. Based on this strength, we will actively work on creating new IPs in FY2016/3.

The third IP policy is to collaborate with partner companies. With so much changes going on in the market, we will suffer a big opportunity loss if we try to do everything all by ourselves. Through collaboration, we will utilize the strengths of other companies which we ourselves lack, and grow the size of the business. A good example is “DRAGON QUEST HEROES,” So far, we had not worked on a full-scale action RPG. However, we were able to create a new style for “DRAGON QUEST” through collaboration with Koei Tecmo Games.

Based on this success, we want to collaborate more with partner companies, both in and out of Japan.

Could it be possible that they may choose to apply these policies to Kingdom Hearts in the future? What kind of reboot, if any, would you like to see happening? Who would you like Square Enix and Disney to collaborate with, and what type of game would you like them to create? Would it be based off of existing properties, or something new entirely? Let us know!

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Re: Square Enix's IP Policies: Reboot, Create, Collaborate

Could it be possible that they may choose to apply these policies to Kingdom Hearts in the future?
I can see them applying policies one and three on the KINGDOM HEARTS franchise. They can strengthen KH as an existing Intellectual Property by making more games: the main storyline on home consoles (be it exclusively SONY's PlayStations, or also on MICROSOFT'S Xboxes); while some sidegames here and there to tell side-stories on portables that don't complement much to the general plot of the main game.
While collaboration with partner companies could work by making a KINGDOM HEARTS Warriors/KINGDOM Warriors/KINGDOM HEARTS Heroes/ type of game (much akin to what NINTENDO did with the THE LEGEND OF ZELDA franchise with Koei Tecmo).

Alpha Sonix

Well there's certainly the hope of collaborating with other publishers to make spin off games. I've always personally wanted Platinum Games to work on the Kingdom Hearts franchise and think that such a take would be beneficial and offer a fresh outlook on the series, especially if said spin off may take off into its own series of titles like Metal Gear Rising is rumored to be doing.

There's also the possibility of putting more KH titles on mobile, something we're already seeing with Unchained Chi but I think this is a lot more beneficial to the Final Fantasy franchise which could certainly use a new take on it like Crystal Bearers for example. Ultimately for Kingdom Hearts, what I want is for the series to be more focused. By all means have the spin offs if you want but they shouldn't have any bearing on the main titles. If anything it looks like they'll be focusing on interconnectivity between devices. I think Shinra Technologies, the cloud gaming service that they're working on, is probably going to play a big part in that.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

The third IP policy is to collaborate with partner companies. With so much changes going on in the market, we will suffer a big opportunity loss if we try to do everything all by ourselves. Through collaboration, we will utilize the strengths of other companies which we ourselves lack, and grow the size of the business. A good example is*<span class="italic">“DRAGON QUEST HEROES,”</span>*So far, we had not worked on a full-scale action RPG. However, we were able to create a new style for*<span class="italic">“DRAGON QUEST”</span>*through collaboration with Koei Tecmo Games.</span>
<p><span class="indent"><span class="indent"><span>Based on this success, we want to collaborate more with partner companies, both in and out of Japan.</span></span></span></p>

<p><span class="indent"><span class="indent"><span>Could it be possible that they may choose to apply these policies to Kingdom Hearts in the future? What kind of reboot, if any, would you like to see happening? Who would you like Square Enix and Disney to collaborate with, and what type of game would you like them to create? Would it be based off of existing properties, or something new entirely? Let us know!</span></span></span></p>
mushroom-kingdom-hearts_mini.jpg

(KH Warriors would also rock.)

SuperFiltered

Re: Square Enix&#039;s IP Policies: Reboot, Create, Collaborate

I'd love to see a Kingdom Warriors, the two styles kinda lend themselves to each other with how KH already involves trashing armies of creepy crawly mooks.
The thing is, would Disney be okay with it? Their policies on crossovers are weird, they pretty much only let KH exist because it's a consistent moneymaker.

Davidsawr

A Kingdom Warriors game would be awesome. Just non stop battling and music. Imagine being able to play as Roxas and not have to be stuck in a 2 hour tutorial

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

A Kingdom Warriors game would be awesome. Just non stop battling and music. Imagine being able to play as Roxas and not have to be stuck in a 2 hour tutorial

Making it about the organization is probably 1 of the better possible scenarios they could go with. A key element of musou games is the player is the commander of an allied army, not just a lone warrior. With Sora & other heroes, it'd be pretty hard to rationalize that aspect. Best choices would be spirit dream eaters or the brooms of Disney Castle, & the former limits the ability to fight against heartless.

With Org13 they could set the events of the game during 358/2 Days:
-We don't actually see every 1 of the 358 days, more like 80-90. That leaves a lot of gaps that KH Musou could fill in.
-The org members each have a distinct fighting style & trademark weapon. they almost seem custom-made for a warriors game in hindsight.
-They'd have the nobodies to command in battle.

The downside would be how to implement Disney characters. Granted Disney's probably gonna be a bitch about that anyway, but I would like at least some Disney commanders & Days wasn't a time period that made great use of them.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Damn it, Omega Force & Nomura. Decide to make a Kingdom Hearts Musou so I can play as Young Xehanort and wreck shit up.

I'd love to see a Kingdom Warriors, the two styles kinda lend themselves to each other with how KH already involves trashing armies of creepy crawly mooks.
The thing is, would Disney be okay with it? Their policies on crossovers are weird, they pretty much only let KH exist because it's a consistent moneymaker.

Disney has bent their rules for Kingdom Hearts before, so I imagine a Musou game would be just fine.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards

What console do you think Square Enix would consider releasing Kingdom Hearts Warriors? The PS4, or the Wii U?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

What console do you think Square Enix would consider releasing Kingdom Hearts Warriors? The PS4, or the Wii U?

I'm not even sure why that is a question when the PS4 is most popular console in the west. Please tell me what the last Square Enix game on the Wii U was.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards

I'm not even sure why that is a question when the PS4 is most popular console in the west. Please tell me what the last Square Enix game on the Wii U was.

Well, I got the idea of a Kingdom Hearts x Dynasty Warriors crossover game from Hyrule Warriors, so I rapidly thought of the Wii U, and not the PS4.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

It's always positive to reexamine your goals and core values, and I think there's much to be said about strengthening the Kingdom Hearts series. There's so much they have learned from creating this Xehanort arc that invaluable preparation could lend itself to the next.

D

Deleted member

The only issue I could really see is the fact that Disney owns KH. Technically, it is actually their IP, not Square-Enix's, so any decisions to reboot, or partner, or whatnot would be entirely up to Disney.

saintfighteraqua

Awards

I hope they somehow use this with Dissidia. Imagine crossovers in that game? (not that it doesn't have the best roster ever anyway)

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards

I hope they somehow use this with Dissidia. Imagine crossovers in that game? (not that it doesn't have the best roster ever anyway)

Dissidia Final Fantasy Warriors? Battling hordes and hordes of Manikins? xD

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Well, the idea for Dissidia had initially been for Kingdom Hearts but Nomura, in his shortsightedness, did not pitch the idea because he thought Disney would reject it (and considering Disney had tried to have a fighter/brawler developed some years ago but never actually got the idea off the ground, I don't think the idea would have been rejected at all but who knows what would have happened to it)

So I personally would love to see Kingdom Hearts crossover into Dissidia. Considering people don't play fighters/brawlers for a solid story, anyways, there would be little need for their appearance to make sense. I'd just like to see them up against FF characters for kicks.

The upcoming arcade game has room for this kind of growth and crossover potential, so maybe Hazama, Team Ninja, and Nomura can work a miracle...

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

I want Nomura to reboot Xenogears. Sure, it was continued as Xenosaga and Xenoblade Chronicles by Monolift Soft, however, with Square Enix's I.P. Reboot: it could be a kid Icarus Uprising situation in which an I.P. becomes contemporary because of the reboot.

Besides, it would give a perfect reason as to why mechanical robots can be featured in future Kingdom Hearts installments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back