• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

7 year old commits suicide due to bullying.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
For the record, bullying can have positive effects too.

It's a social situation that children must figure out how to deal with/fix, which can be a very valuable experience for a growing individual.

Not that it isn't sad when it leads to something like this, of course.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
It's sad to see someone as young as 7 to commit suicide due to bullying. No child at that age should even have thoughts of suicide. I wonder how bad the bullying was...

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
It really is a shame when kids have to go through so much at that young an age, since there's bound to be ones that simply can't handle it.
It should be noted that, provided the current situation and how the kid's been raised line up in the right way, it wouldn't necessarily take a whole lot to drive someone over the edge. What a sheltered person, for instance, calls "going through a whole lot" might be nothing to someone who's been through a lot.

Giving kids self worth and ignore bullies themselves is what we should be doing.
While this obviously isn't true for all cases, just ignoring the bully and being all quiet or not paying them attention just makes you look like a submissive little bitch. I'm not suggesting you go right up to the bully and punch him or her in the nose or something, but some sort of stand - I feel - should generally be preferred to merely ignoring them.

Right, kids with clinical depression or parents who just passed away should just learn that shit happens and feel better and magically repel any kind of bullying.
HER DERP BECAUSE THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT'S BEING SAID YEAH?

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
It should be noted that, provided the current situation and how the kid's been raised line up in the right way, it wouldn't necessarily take a whole lot to drive someone over the edge. What a sheltered person, for instance, calls "going through a whole lot" might be nothing to someone who's been through a lot.

I know, the fact is that it's still a shame that this kind of stuff has to happen to sheltered people before they're actually ready to deal with it.

HER DERP BECAUSE THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT'S BEING SAID YEAH?

Oh come on, I always pegged you as an intelligent person, don't give me that.

It's obvious that's not what they said exactly. The problem is that they didn't cover this issue, while everything else they said even seemed to suggest that they simply didn't care. Words are only words? Kids who get bullied are just letting themselves get bullied? How can this not bring up the case with kids who have depression or are otherwise emotionally unstable and can barely take care of themselves? It's not like constant bullying is some kind of life trial that absolutely everyone has to or will go through. Bullies harass the kids they do because a lot of the times they can tell that kid can't stand up for themselves. This isn't a moment for kids to decide if they can deal with problems in life, because these kids were already
"doomed" to the circumstances they were in. And these are the kids being hurt by school staff not really doing anything because they believe it's the parents job to raise their kids how to tolerate these things, or that bullying is a common occurrence. It's almost a lazy attitude to have.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
It's obvious that's not what they said exactly. The problem is that they didn't cover this issue, while everything else they said even seemed to suggest that they simply didn't care. Words are only words? Kids who get bullied are just letting themselves get bullied? How can this not bring up the case with kids who have depression or are otherwise emotionally unstable and can barely take care of themselves?
Given you might also peg Ulti, Wermacht and/or Sensei as intelligent people, I thought it was implicit the simple 'weather the storm' technique wouldn't - or couldn't - necessarily apply to them. However, usually when a child is in such a state as a matter of who they are or as part of some long-term issue, the onus is on the parents to make sure they get their kids into a supportive environment outside of just their own home.

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
I don't like looking at the issue in that perspective though, because it means that something drastic has to happen to the kid before any sort of blame can be placed and even then, it's focusing too much on placing blame on someone rather than seeing what could have been done to prevent this from happening. I know it doesn't really sound like there's a difference, but I personally see a huge distinction between "It's the parents fault for raising their child to be weak-minded and not knowing how to deal with problems" and "Something should have been done for this kid since there were too many things out of his control that hurt him mentally and emotionally." Not all parents chose to be parents, which is why attention shouldn't really be taken away from the issue of teachers not helping when they should. They knowingly chose that job and yet, they won't do anything to help a kid deal with bullying because they feel that's a parent's job. It certainly is, but bad parenting is a lot less controllable compared to bad teaching. School staff can be fired if a severe enough incident occurs, but parent's can't really be replaced. Schools not helping kids with anything outside of education is a more controllable issue than bad parenting, which is why I think attention really shouldn't be taken away from it towards bad parenting because they are two separate kinds of issues that require different solutions. Not saying it's worse than bad parenting, but when you try to shift the blame to bad parenting in a story like this, it deters from reaching a more appropriate solution.

Oh and I was just talking about that 'herp derp' stuff, kinda caught me off guard since I was in serious mode for this thread~

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
What is with the rising popularity in suicide among kids lately

Loki

This is just horrible... I was a victim of bullying at a very young age and also thought of suicide. I believe it was around 5th grade when I started feeling that way. It depends on the knowledge that the kid possessed and what actions he took to find/research about suicide. I feel very sorry for the family and their loss. Bullying needs to end and I think more schools should have a proper approach and education about the causes of bullying and what it can lead to and how to prevent it.

JustSnilloc

Hmm... I feel for the kid, I was constantly bullied at school from age 5-13 pretty much, my father was abusive, at 10 my parents got divorced...

I wasn't as young as seven when I was considering suicide, but I wasn't far from it. When you're that young you don't have much to hold on to in life

Sorax 122

So sad, however going after bullies isn't the right thing to do. Really people need to teach children how to cope with bullying. As hard as anyone tries with all these campaigns against bullying, they don't work because it is just human nature to talk about something you don't understand or that is different. The bully did not kill this child, his inability to cope with the hardships of life did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back