• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Craziness=Creativeness.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Garlock

Did I ever tell you I love red?
So i was drawing a bit and i started to remmber a lecture I had during my pre-college evaluation period about how most famous artists or writers or whatever were in some form or fashion crazy. This makes me think of how artists are associated with such things as the devil and sorts for seeing out of the eyes most cant and making there own subconscious real. Or the common we are associated with drugs and liquor.

My question is do you consider yourself in some form crazy? Also if your crazy does that means your creative?

In my opinion I believe its crazy as crazy people see the stuff others dont. Isnt that what writing and arti is about in a sense?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Some geniuses can be weird.
But not all weird people are smart.

Being weird just makes you weird, nothing else.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I don't really think the two have that much in common. It's true that some geniuses tend to be a little odd, but being odd or "crazy" doesn't equate to being creative or intelligent. It just means you're weird, and that's not necessarily something you should be proud of.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
If you're crazy, you're crazy
If you're creative, you're creative, thats how I see it

O

Oberon

∞;5293342 said:
Some geniuses can be weird.
But not all weird people are smart.

Being weird just makes you weird, nothing else.
^ This.

I know a lot of really intelligent and smart artists who are considerably organized. Granted a tad messy, but still organized.

I also know some inartistic people who are pretty organized too. A bit messy of course still.

Just because someone is intelligent or artistic does not mean they need to be messy. In some fashion, all of us are pretty unorganized and a little messy. Unless you have OCD. but idk lol

Captain Garlock

Makes sense but I dont know I find it odd that many of our great people in history were crazy.
Like Fitzgeralds wife who actually wrote the Great Gatsby was in a mental institution and died there in a fire.
Kinda odd to me such things happen.

teardrop

Being crazy doesn't always equal creative or smart. Sure, maybe being a little nuts might help you think of a few new ideas, but creativity doesn't always stem from being crazy.

O

Oberon

Makes sense but I dont know I find it odd that many of our great people in history were crazy.
Like Fitzgeralds wife who actually wrote the Great Gatsby was in a mental institution and died there in a fire.
Kinda odd to me such things happen.
It might be possible that while someone harbors themselves and lives in their mind for so long, they start to forget about physical reality. That's about the only explanation I'd have for it. But you don't need to be insane to be creative, that's for sure.

One thing that interests me is that the creator/writer of Neon Genesis Evangelion was on drugs/depressed for the times he would get idea's for the actual show. I mean, apparently. I haven't cross referenced that, but a friend who's a fan told me about it. Good show though.

Wintertide

Sp00ky GuRl
Awards
I don't think you have to be crazy to be creative. Though, most artists are usually doing some type of drug which is why they seem all crazy.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
In my opinion I believe its crazy as crazy people see the stuff others dont. Isnt that what writing and arti is about in a sense?

Crazy people see things others don't, but not in the creative or genius sense of the word: they are just crazy. You can be a genius and be crazy; but insanity is not a prerequisite for creativity.

AxelYoYo

RAWR
Awards
You can be a crazy painter, as in you're loco adn you paint some pretty weird pictures.
...Or your just creative and you draw crazy stuff.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Actually, it's proven fact that creativity and insanity go hand in hand. I mean, you don't have to be skitzo to make a pretty painting, but it's pretty much safe to assume that the more fractured your brain is- the less effort it takes to be/create something unique.

BBC News - Creative minds 'mimic schizophrenia'
Creativity is known to be associated with an increased risk of depression, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Similarly, people who have mental illness in their family have a higher chance of being creative.

Associate Professor Fredrik Ullen believes his findings could help explain why.

He looked at the brain's dopamine (D2) receptor genes which experts believe govern divergent thought.

He found highly creative people who did well on tests of divergent thought had a lower than expected density of D2 receptors in the thalamus - as do people with schizophrenia.

The thalamus serves as a relay centre, filtering information before it reaches areas of the cortex, which is responsible, amongst other things, for cognition and reasoning.

"Fewer D2 receptors in the thalamus probably means a lower degree of signal filtering, and thus a higher flow of information from the thalamus," said Professor Ullen.

He believes it is this barrage of uncensored information that ignites the creative spark.

This would explain how highly creative people manage to see unusual connections in problem-solving situations that other people miss.

Schizophrenics share this same ability to make novel associations. But in schizophrenia, it results in bizarre and disturbing thoughts.

UK psychologist and member of the British Psychological Society Mark Millard said the overlap with mental illness might explain the motivation and determination creative people share.

"Creativity is uncomfortable. It is their dissatisfaction with the present that drives them on to make changes.

"Creative people, like those with psychotic illnesses, tend to see the world differently to most. It's like looking at a shattered mirror. They see the world in a fractured way.

"There is no sense of conventional limitations and you can see this in their work. Take Salvador Dali, for example. He certainly saw the world differently and behaved in a way that some people perceived as very odd."

As an artist whose mind is pretty fractured, I'm inclined to believe this is true.

TheScaryRiddle

A lot of my more creative friends are weird. I don't think they're "crazy". I just think that the more creative you are, the less normal your actions and way of seeing things is. I mean it makes sense. If you're creative, you're bound to see things in a way others don't. There's not really a question about that.

Captain Garlock

Crazy people see things others don't, but not in the creative or genius sense of the word: they are just crazy. You can be a genius and be crazy; but insanity is not a prerequisite for creativity.

Well as quitemad said think of it this way.
he job of a writer is to indeed see and make people feel as though there are somewhere that is not real to make them leave there bodies.
Same as an artists.
A normal person by social standards would not be able to come out of the norm with such ideas or emotions.
So the question arises just how messed up does one have to be to think up new worlds and creatures and such?
Its no new thing that historys most famous artists were some what crazy.
our taking the social meaning not the overall meaning.

Nvm Quitemads article says in right in there.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
A normal person by social standards would not be able to come out of the norm with such ideas or emotions.
So the question arises just how messed up does one have to be to think up new worlds and creatures and such?

I find this very insulting. Sane people are just as much capable of creativity as the mentally unstable. Just take a stroll down to the Creative section of KHI, and you'll find yourself in an ocean of innovative ideas and expressive people. And this is just an Internet forum. Imagine (if, indeed, your sanity permits you to) the copious amounts of artistry that the world has to offer, and the millions of sane people who contribute to it.

Captain Garlock

I find this very insulting. Sane people are just as much capable of creativity as the mentally unstable. Just take a stroll down to the Creative section of KHI, and you'll find yourself in an ocean of innovative ideas and expressive people. And this is just an Internet forum.

You find it insulting because you see what I say to be insulting...

Which means to be branded normal by society you could not be creative as social normality leads away from creativity I insulted no one.
Dont you think thats why that child prodigy artist isnt considered normal?
Or why when people go into art they get heat?
Besides the creative section is proof how how much nsanity the world holds somewhat, creative ness is linked to other things.

And this is just an Internet forum. Imagine (if, indeed, your sanity permits you to) the copious amounts of artistry that the world has to offer, and the millions of sane people who contribute to it.
[/QUOTE

Imagine if you will if a person came to you tellng you stories of a world they once saw with there own eyes that did not seem possible would you call them crazy for seeing it?
Imagine if someone told you a story of fairys and powerful magic would you believe it?
I doubt you would furthermore youd wonder how someone could come up with such things...
Again the eyes of an artists and that of a normal society member differ artists seem to take deeper meaning in the little stuff.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
Which means to be branded normal by society you could not be creative as social normality leads away from creativity I insulted no one.

Just the millions of creative, sane people in the world. I am sane, and I am creative; even you are capable of creativity. What you are saying is that sanity and creativity are mutually exclusive, which even by the remotest stretch of the imagination is completely false.

Dont you think thats why that child prodigy artist isnt considered normal?

If we're to use examples to illustrate a point, at least have the decency to do some research and use a concrete one. That aside, I never said abnormal people are incapable of creativity; what I said is clear and simple: creativity is not exclusive to the insane.

Besides the creative section is proof how how much nsanity the world holds somewhat, creative ness is linked to other things.

Wait, are you saying that every person who posts in the Creative section is crazy?

Again the eyes of an artists and that of a normal society member differ artists seem to take deeper meaning in the little stuff.

An artist is a normal society member.

Captain Garlock

Just the millions of creative, sane people in the world. I am sane, and I am creative;

Odd how you miss the point. Your saying your sane but on which level a social or personal level? The fact is creativity has alot to do witht he abnormal for if we were normal we would not think or create outside of the limits in which normality lies.

even you are capable of creativity.

Yes I am but guess why? Im not hardwired like everyone else. If I were there is no way could cook up new characters in a flash and draw them out. If I were like everyone else I could not make a story relating to new worlds and such.

What you are saying is that sanity and creativity are mutually exclusive, which even by the remotest stretch of the imagination is completely false.

No what Im saying is it takes some abnormality to produce something out of the normal. Can you honestly sit here and say that an average everyday guy could write at Harry Potter level? Hell even better example an abstract artists can use lines shapes and other stuff to convey how they feel, they can get there inspiraton from dreams visions or even people. Art is a way of showing others what you see as you see it. Havent you ever wondered why SOME get what a picture means and SOME just wont ever see it? It takes that little abnormalness to reach that level.

If we're to use examples to illustrate a point, at least have the decency to do some research and use a concrete one.

Ive done research on this girl I find her as bad as it seems to admit shes probably legit...That aside even f she wasnt want to know what the first think most people said when they saw her work? She has to have some brain defect or something causing it. What m saying is she isnt considered normal one for her talent two for her overall gift.
Tell me something are you an artist?

If we're to use examples to illustrate a point, at least have the decency to do some research and use a concrete one.

Did I say it? All I said was its odd most famous artists HAVE traces of being insane to a degree. So one could say art and creativity are directly related to the brain and sanity.

Wait, are you saying that every person who posts in the Creative section is crazy?

In there own yes why? If you go aganst normal standards your consdered abnormal.

An artist is a normal society member.

Yes they are but what they see is different.
Its hard trying to illistrate this without you thinking a tad bit harder onw hat im saying.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
The fact is creativity has alot to do witht he abnormal for if we were normal we would not think or create outside of the limits in which normality lies.

Creativity is anything but abnormal; it only requires lateral thinking, which you are entirely capable of doing from a logical standpoint. The Miller-Urey experiment, designed to simulate the atmosphere of prebiotic earth, is something I consider a feat of creative engineering. Whether or not the atmosphere truly was the way they imagined is another matter entirely. Yet I am sure you would not consider either scientist crazy for using electric sparks to simulate lightning.

Im not hardwired like everyone else.

That is a given.

If I were there is no way could cook up new characters in a flash and draw them out. If I were like everyone else I could not make a story relating to new worlds and such.

Everyone is 'wired' differently; no two humans have the exact same neural network. And anyone intelligent is capable of envisaging stories in their mind.

Can you honestly sit here and say that an average everyday guy could write at Harry Potter level?

Bad choice of literature. That aside, yes: J.K. Rowling was and still is an average everyday Briton who struck a pot of gold at the end of her rainbow.

Hell even better example an abstract artists can use lines shapes and other stuff to convey how they feel, they can get there inspiraton from dreams visions or even people.

And you know that their work actually has meaning...how? I could splash a bucket of paint on a canvas and call myself an abstract artist, but does that make me one? Does that give my bucket splash of paint any more meaning than that -- a splash of paint?

Art is a way of showing others what you see as you see it.

Correct.

Havent you ever wondered why SOME get what a picture means and SOME just wont ever see it? It takes that little abnormalness to reach that level.

Wrong. Art is open to interpretation, and different viewers, readers, and audiences will derive different meanings from the work. It only takes creativity to produce and interpret a work of art; and everyone with a pulse and a state of consciousness is able to do that.

Ive done research on this girl I find her as bad as it seems to admit shes probably legit...That aside even f she wasnt want to know what the first think most people said when they saw her work? She has to have some brain defect or something causing it. What m saying is she isnt considered normal one for her talent two for her overall gift.

Again, what girl? Just because you know who she is, doesn't mean we do. Because I also know that boy who is capable of creativity despite being sane of mind.

Tell me something are you an artist?

Anyone who produces art is an artist. So therefore, yes; and in more ways than one. What's your point?

Did I say it? All I said was its odd most famous artists HAVE traces of being insane to a degree.

The key words there are "traces" and "to a degree." There is no 'average' human; we are all different from one another, and in that respect we all also exhibit "traces" of insanity, and are in our own way "insane to a degree." Because of this, 'insanity' and 'craziness' are terms reserved for those who truly betray social norms and have a real mental condition. Lest our whole world be inhabited by the crazies.

Yes they are but what they see is different.

We all see things differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back