• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

E3 2014 is almost here!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
They could use KH3 as a tactic for getting more sales on 2.5 though, because there's plenty of people who are unfamiliar with the KH series and might want to pick up 1.5 and 2.5 before they get 3.

The main issue there is that quite a number of those people have refused to touch anything with a subtitle and firmly believe that KH3 will not acknowledge any events outside of those that took place within KH1 and 2. Keep in mind, we're the minority. If they try to juggle both titles at the same time without giving precedence to the remaster, there's no chance it won't be overshadowed.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Kingdom Hearts 3 is a pretty big deal. I'm of the opinion that they should advertise it heavily. To coin a term, shake what your mama gave you. People are going to be HELLA disappointed if there's no KH3 at E3. People wouldn't be horribly difficult to please, either. Show Sora's new outfit, or another gameplay clip. Confirm a world or something. KH3 was one of the biggest things at E3 2013, which was already one of the most intense E3's of all time. Square struck gold here, they should stick with it.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Kingdom Hearts 3 is a pretty big deal. I'm of the opinion that they should advertise it heavily. To coin a term, shake what your mama gave you. People are going to be HELLA disappointed if there's no KH3 at E3. People wouldn't be horribly difficult to please, either. Show Sora's new outfit, or another gameplay clip. Confirm a world or something. KH3 was one of the biggest things at E3 2013, which was already one of the most intense E3's of all time. Square struck gold here, they should stick with it.

Agreed. While I don't expect III to be shown too much, I'd like to see some of the things you mentioned show up in a new trailer.

Also, while I am probably parroting what practically everyone has said, I think that there will (and should) be more emphasis on II.5 and XV, especially the latter. That game has spent wwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long in the backburner for them to not have at least another trailer for E3.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Square Enix have definitely learned from their past endeavours, and I'm sure they're likely to at least acknowledge KH3 in one way or another. However, they announced it last year when they had just begun actual development of the game. They will need more time to develop it until they're sure they can show everyone proper footage that should meet everyone's expectations of the game.

KH 2.5 on the other hand should've reached this particular stage of development right around now, so they're very likely going to advertise the crap out of it at this year's E3. I reckon the reason they've been so silent about it all this time is because they weren't finished developing everything enough to show us yet, besides vague footage in past trailers. After all, they started development on that shortly after finishing 1.5, and do note that they took their sweet time with that before showing us anything.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Square Enix have definitely learned from their past endeavours, and I'm sure they're likely to at least acknowledge KH3 in one way or another. However, they announced it last year when they had just begun actual development of the game. They will need more time to develop it until they're sure they can show everyone proper footage that should meet everyone's expectations of the game.

KH 2.5 on the other hand should've reached this particular stage of development right around now, so they're very likely going to advertise the crap out of it at this year's E3. I reckon the reason they've been so silent about it all this time is because they weren't finished developing everything enough to show us yet, besides vague footage in past trailers. After all, they started development on that shortly after finishing 1.5, and do note that they took their sweet time with that before showing us anything.

I wish I had a development timeline for 1.5. There's so much to this that I'm not sure of. If it's not taking them as long to develop 2.5, then why the radio silence? This could be explained if 1.5 took longer than they let on.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I like to imagine that Team Osaka is diligently working hard to give their bby the remastering it deserves (by that I mean BBS). And also all that other stuff. But mainly BBS.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
The main issue there is that quite a number of those people have refused to touch anything with a subtitle and firmly believe that KH3 will not acknowledge any events outside of those that took place within KH1 and 2. Keep in mind, we're the minority. If they try to juggle both titles at the same time without giving precedence to the remaster, there's no chance it won't be overshadowed.

They could do what they did in DDD and just use the journal to tell the events in the past games.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
They could do what they did in DDD and just use the journal to tell the events in the past games.

Kudos to all the folks who actually read them then!

tbh i just kinda go in and out to get rid of that 'NEW' marker

But the issue here is how they would go about promoting both KH3 and 2.5, not how to get everyone caught up on the series.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

You give people too much credit lol If they don't want to bother watching a few YT videos of the games, they are even less likely going to read about them.

Millenious

Given that a few sources already have said that "some" new information will be released about FFXV and KH3 at E3 we're gonna get something, it probably wont be as much KH since XV is further along in development though. That being said small announcements and teases, another new concept trailer, new costume designs, possible world teases and launch window instead of just "in development" (probably 2016, they may even add the season) will most likely be the best we get. I hope FFXV is fleshed out more too, last trailer was beautifully amazing.

Launchpad

Awards
Basically, no KHIII at E3 is pretty unlikely. No KH at all is just flat out ABSURD!!!!! Don't expect too much of either and find your self pleasantly surprised when something neat pops up.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
I had expected Square Enix to hold off on a KH3 announcement until later, but lo and behold, there it was last year.

Despite that, it's good to go in with tempered expectations. It's always better to be pleasantly surprised rather than slowly let down.

While I still think both FFXV and KH3 are quite a ways off yet, it would be nice to see some sort of update in the form of a trailer.

Lea

Awards
Website
joshtominus.com

Exactly. While FFXV is a huge deal, there aren't as many casual FF fans than there are KH fans. FFXV is good news (for the most part) to big fans of the series, but casual fans are probably just brushing it off as another FFXIII (even if you enjoyed XIII, a lot of people didn't) but Kingdom Hearts has yet to make a bad game (Again, XIII is a wide opinion, even though a good and bad game are nothing but opinions, not facts). Some will say Days was a bad game, but how many casual fans have actually sat down and played Days? Not many I'd assume. KH3 is probably Square's best asset right now. It's got a crapload of hype and if the hype dies because of lack of updates, it will not end good for them.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Some will say Days was a bad game, but how many casual fans have actually sat down and played Days? Not many I'd assume.

In fact, many. It was one of the highest selling 3rd party DS games in the United States back in the day. Well over a million units sold in America, so it wasn't just the core audience playing. I'd suspect that its poor reception was one of the reasons sales of Birth By Sleep in North America were average (along with the fact the PSP was a dead console in the west and piracy was rampant.)

KH3 is probably Square's best asset right now. It's got a crapload of hype and if the hype dies because of lack of updates, it will not end good for them.

The hype isn't going to die because Square Enix hasn't informed people what they are doing every single step of the way. Kingdom Hearts 3 generates hype on its own, regardless of trailers and updates.

People hyped it for eight years even when Nomura said flat out "We aren't making Kingdom Hearts 3 right now." Hype isn't going to stop now that Nomura is in press hermit-mode.

They have zero obligation to give us regular updates right now, and honestly I'd rather they concentrate on working on the game and show us the fruits of their labor when they have something worth showing because I have ridiculous expectations for what they need to reveal next. If they show a new trailer, I want it to have new voice acting, a handful of cutscenes, at least one Disney (and/or Pixar) world, and finalized gameplay.

If they can't give that, then there is no point to releasing a new trailer.

Of course Nomura or Yasue should do a few interviews discussing more concrete information on the game, story expectations, and show off some key art or more cast and their new renders but if they can't because they are busy with other things, I don't think fans should expect anything. Like Shamdeo said, keep expectations low and you'll never be disappointed.

Lea

Awards
Website
joshtominus.com
In fact, many. It was one of the highest selling 3rd party DS games in the United States back in the day. Well over a million units sold in America, so it wasn't just the core audience playing. I'd suspect that its poor reception was one of the reasons sales of Birth By Sleep in North America were average (along with the fact the PSP was a dead console in the west and piracy was rampant.)

Proved me wrong on that one haha. I also believe the low BBS sales also has to do with console jumping as well.

The hype isn't going to die because Square Enix hasn't informed people what they are doing every single step of the way. Kingdom Hearts 3 generates hype on its own, regardless of trailers and updates.

True, maybe "die" wasn't the best word to use. I mean that the game right now is at It's peak when it comes to hype. I don't follow too much about the FF series, but from what I understand the hype of FFXV seems to be turning into irritation because of the lack of updates. Don't quote me on that though, but I believe I've seen some people getting frustrated that even small updates haven't been released and if casual fans see that FF fans are getting restless, they might want to get on board with Kingdom Hearts as well. Maybe I'm giving casual fans too much credit because they might actually see what FF fans are feeling about the XV announcement, but we'll see.

They have zero obligation to give us regular updates right now, and honestly I'd rather they concentrate on working on the game and show us the fruits of their labor when they have something worth showing because I have ridiculous expectations for what they need to reveal next. If they show a new trailer, I want it to have new voice acting, a handful of cutscenes, at least one Disney (and/or Pixar) world, and finalized gameplay.

I'm not asking for regular updates. I'm just asking that they at least touch on KH3 just so that casual fans are reminded that the game is being worked on. Not a trailer or even gameplay is needed. Something like an outfit reveal or like someone said, a single confirmed world. Something to remind casual fans that the game is being worked on and give them something to talk about. Keep in mind that I'm not talking about people like us. We know that they're working on KHIII and they don't have to release any information on Kingdom Hearts III and we'll still be interested in it when It's released. We can't say the same for the casual fans, sometimes they need a bit of an incentive to stay interested. (I hate talking like they're animals lol)

Of course Nomura or Yasue should do a few interviews discussing more concrete information on the game, story expectations, and show off some key art or more cast and their new renders but if they can't because they are busy with other things, I don't think fans should expect anything. Like Shamdeo said, keep expectations low and you'll never be disappointed.

This is what I meant :). Just simple little things, not anything like the big E3 reveal or the gameplay demo we got six months ago. Just something to show that they're alive and kickin' with KHIII. Also, I'm trying my hardest to keep my expectations low, but it never works out for me because I'm always an extremely hopeful person haha.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Proved me wrong on that one haha. I also believe the low BBS sales also has to do with console jumping as well.

Of course. Though, BBS did fantastic in Japan (unlike Days which sold around half of what it did in NA) so it really is a million factors when it comes to these games xD

True, maybe "die" wasn't the best word to use. I mean that the game right now is at It's peak when it comes to hype. I don't follow too much about the FF series, but from what I understand the hype of FFXV seems to be turning into irritation because of the lack of updates. Don't quote me on that though, but I believe I've seen some people getting frustrated that even small updates haven't been released and if casual fans see that FF fans are getting restless, they might want to get on board with Kingdom Hearts as well. Maybe I'm giving casual fans too much credit because they might actually see what FF fans are feeling about the XV announcement, but we'll see.

The irritation stems from being promised news but then being told nothing. I think fans who care about FFXV would have been fine if they weren't reminded of FFXV's existence every few months with a non-statement that goes like this: "Development on Final Fantasy XV is going smoothly. We can't show anything right now, so please wait awhile longer."

This has been the same line since 2008 up until 2011 when Nomura literally said to "forget about Versus for awhile" (which makes sense now considering they moved it to next-gen at that time and were under contract to not discuss next-gen projects until next-gen consoles were revealed, and then all of the other stuff going on at SE blah blah.)

I'm not asking for regular updates. I'm just asking that they at least touch on KH3 just so that casual fans are reminded that the game is being worked on. Not a trailer or even gameplay is needed. Something like an outfit reveal or like someone said, a single confirmed world. Something to remind casual fans that the game is being worked on and give them something to talk about. Keep in mind that I'm not talking about people like us. We know that they're working on KHIII and they don't have to release any information on Kingdom Hearts III and we'll still be interested in it when It's released. We can't say the same for the casual fans, sometimes they need a bit of an incentive to stay interested. (I hate talking like they're animals lol)

xD But you know how the old saying goes: "Give them a bone and they'll want the whole steak." Casual fans will always ask for something and one thing will never be enough. Hypothetically they release Sora's new outfit? Now fans want to see every single character's new outfit and right now so damn that hypothetical news on Tomb Raider 2 they just posted on their Facebook.

But you are right that some people need the incentive, but if they didn't care they wouldn't have begged for KH3 for years. If somebody stops caring, that's really on them lol.

This is what I meant :). Just simple little things, not anything like the big E3 reveal or the gameplay demo we got six months ago. Just something to show that they're alive and kickin' with KHIII. Also, I'm trying my hardest to keep my expectations low, but it never works out for me because I'm always an extremely hopeful person haha.

Then we are definitely on the same page xD

Launchpad

Awards
If they can't give that, then there is no point to releasing a new trailer.

I disagree! I'm super into the technical stuff. Little things get me more excited than big things. Particle effects, AI behavior, combat. I'm definitely more into the game side of things. I actually wish Nomura did things a bit more like Smash Brothers' Sakurai. IE dropping tidbits about mechanics and inner workings. If Nomura released info about the combat of KHIII (and not just saying "it looks beautiful and flashy please be excited") it'd probably make my day.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I disagree! I'm super into the technical stuff. Little things get me more excited than big things. Particle effects, AI behavior, combat. I'm definitely more into the game side of things. I actually wish Nomura did things a bit more like Smash Brothers' Sakurai. IE dropping tidbits about mechanics and inner workings. If Nomura released info about the combat of KHIII (and not just saying "it looks beautiful and flashy please be excited") it'd probably make my day.

Oh, so am I. Personally I'd love a series of dev diaries for Kingdom Hearts 3 (it's really all I've been begging for in other threads lol), but it just seems so unlikely that I would rather set my aims for seeing completed work that everybody can enjoy without complaining that it was missing something or didn't cover something enough.

There are risks to sharing development information during the dev cycle like people start building all of their expectations on said info and take it as fact, complain when they are shown certain things and demand for changes, complain when what they saw doesn't make it into the game, and so on.

Also because I expect they'll make a behind-the-scenes feature because everybody loves those and I think that is something Nomura would be more comfortable with and still give us all of the juicy technical details we all crave. And if the tech stuff in Kingdom Hearts 3 is impressive (especially because of Luminous if it is still a thing), I wouldn't be surprised if they did presentations on the technical details at future game development conferences.

But like I said, I'd rather they have a game made before they show us the inner-workings.

We'll get some of those dev details naturally, anyways, and definitely in the Ultimania once it is all said and done.

Launchpad

Awards
I hope for both of us that we get some of that stuff. I'd prefer it to a trailer loaded with exposition and characters talking, that's for sure..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back