• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kojima dissapointed in MGS4

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha_Sonix

"Game-wise, it's pretty close to the original vision: you sneak into the battlefield and can choose whether to do a stealth game or interfere with the battle more directly. But the graphic, side things like motion-blending and the size of the map, totally was not accomplished to my original vision - to my satisfaction.

"When we first showed the game engine at TGS, the staff were really proud and happy. PS3 was a dream machine, y'know, and we were going to work on this and that - and we had so many ideas. But when we actually started developing the game, we realized there were a lot of restrictions and so it turned out how you see it today. The original vision was to go ten steps further, the reality was just one step, which isn't to say we didn't progress.

I remember saying three years ago that we wanted to create something revolutionary, but in reality we couldn't really do that because of the CPU. We're using the Cell engine to its limit., actually. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the PS3 machine, it's just that we weren't really aware of what the full-spec PS3 offered - we were creating something we couldn't entirely see.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Kojima Disappointed With Metal Gear Solid 4

I'm pretty sure he said this with MGS2, didn't he.

Dark Essence

Bronze Member
The original vision was to go ten steps further but it only went one!

FAIL.

My hopes for this game are starting to die.

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
Kojima, like most artists, don't think their work is as good as other people do. Nothing to worry about here.

I agree about the visual though, there's nothing revolutionary about it. But he says that the gameplay is close to his original vision, which is what I care about. Im old school, I dont give a crap about graphics.

Also, people need to understand that he's talking about the GRAPHICS ONLY that he's disappointed about.

And unless youre a graphics whore who judges a game by graphics, that shouldnt really matter.

Alpha_Sonix

He's not talking about graphics though, he's talking about scale and in game animations, so don't think he's talking about graphics, they look good enough, an artists work is never done. But I'm still getting this game, even if Kojima jr. and Hideo Kojima don't feel it was a dissapointment.

S

Shadow Soldier

TEH POWAH OF TEH CELL FAILS!

Pretty sad when the biggest game for the PS3, gets knocked off by its own creator.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
This isn't much news to anyone that pays attention to Kojima.
He's a perfectionist, no matter what he'll still be disappointed in his games. He's too hard on himself sometimes.

If he wasn't a perfectionist, MGS4 would never have come to be.

Pretty sad when the biggest game for the PS3, gets knocked off by its own creator.

Are you kidding me?

In ALL GAMES, games never turn out like their designers envisioned exactly. Artists have this dream of creating an entire new world and experience and style, while when you leave the dream world and go back to reality, you realize that with current technology you can only go so far.

To those who believe so, he's not bashing the PS3's specs. You think this would have been done more easily on the 360's CPU or 9GB of storage or lack of HDD use in games? I'd say not.

The only way Kojima could ever get MGS4 to be the dream he envisioned it to fully be would be to release the game exclusively on the PC, and in that sense the game would DEFINITELY not be releasing by this summer.

Kojima's just saying that he's realized reality. He's realized not everything goes as you envision it. Things have to be cut out to save time and costs. The graphics of MGS4 aren't revolutionary, but oh well. Neither are a lot of good games'.

Look at Nomura, you think KH2 turned out as he intentionally envisioned it?
What happened to being graded on how quickly you finish worlds? On game worlds being massively epic? Or being able to explore the forest outside Beast's castle? Or gaining new abilities based on your grade?

It had to be cut out.

S

Shadow Soldier

But how many people do you actually see coming out and saying the game didn't turn out the way they wanted it to.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
TEH POWAH OF TEH CELL FAILS!

It's even sadder when a game gets knocked off by the consumers.

Do you really think that this will matter to the consumers? Kojima took his best strides forward, and brought what I believe will be a compelling PS3 experience.

All artists have trouble accepting that their own art is good, or in this case, fantastic.

S

Shadow Soldier

No, its fantastic to the consumer because us consumers don't know all the capability's and such of hardware. They do.

Dogenzaka said:
It's way better than promising the end-all savior of video games

Who said these promises?

Subtly Inspiring
No, its fantastic to the consumer because us consumers don't know all the capability's and such of hardware. They do.

Who said these promises?

Kojima didn't make these promises, which makes him credible in the business.
Stop being so insufferable. Everyone's tired of it.

Subtly Inspiring
Just taking the initiative.
He didn't, that was my point, whereas other devs promise their games will cure cancer.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
He's talking about the graphics. I bet if he never mentioned anything about how good they could have been, everyone would still be hoping on saying "Oh yes, MGS4 looks so real". The graphics are still relatively high for any game right now. The gameplay appear to be really smooth. We should have nothing to worry about. We just know that the PS3 is not as capable as Hideo thought it to be. So what if he pushed it to its limits too early in the console's life span. And the fact that he's only complaining about graphics (and they appear really good) is not so bad.

edit: btw Hideo Jr hates MGS as a whole and always has and probably always will.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
He's talking about the graphics. I bet if he never mentioned anything about how good they could have been, everyone would still be hoping on saying "Oh yes, MGS4 looks so real". The graphics are still relatively high for any game right now. The gameplay appear to be really smooth. We should have nothing to worry about. We just know that the PS3 is not as capable as Hideo thought it to be. So what if he pushed it to its limits too early in the console's life span. And the fact that he's only complaining about graphics (and they appear really good) is not so bad.

edit: btw Hideo Jr hates MGS as a whole and always has and probably always will.

uh uh.

I saw an article saying that Hideo would probably make more portable MGS games because his son liked MPO.

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
Kojima really isn't comparing MGS4 to anything current-gen or next-gen... or to something that we can "see" to begin with. He's comparing it to his VISION. And only he knows what the hell he wanted to achieve with the graphical system.

Overall, however, I think Kojima saying "PS3 is not as strong as we thought" says it all. Period.

He's not downgrading the game, just that his thoughts about the PS3 being so high and mighty were wrong.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Well of course, in fact the 360 is marginally better than the PS3 in some aspects (like I hear, the GPU) and the PS3 is marginally better than the 360 in some aspects (like the possibilities of its CPU).

But they're both limited pieces of hardware that can only go so far until the next generation pushes them. There will always be a limit in reality.

You can't always fit a vision or a dream into reality, sometimes it just doesn't have room for all the ideas. Especially technology like game consoles.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
uh uh.

I saw an article saying that Hideo would probably make more portable MGS games because his son liked MPO.

Yeah that's true. He liked Portable Ops. Such a shame that his son can't enjoy such a thrilling stealth action on a home console.lol He's a tough critic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back