• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

PSP2 details leak from newspaper, more info coming January 27th

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
When it comes to new, innovative things, PSP2 has the 3DS beat. I don't think it is a contest, the one notable thing I can give the 3DS over PSP2 is 3D, and that isn't a game changer at all (might be wrong on this since we don't know if NGP has 3D). NGP is changing the way handhelds are being looked at, 3G/Wi-fi which I have been told allows online play from anywhere, the back pad things, the new inclusion of the touch screen(though we have seen this already) two analog sticks that allow for better controls, an extremely powerful system.

I think that part of the reason PSP failed was because it wasn't really advertised as a handheld console, it was more of a big ass MP3/Video player that could also play UMD's(not literally, but I mean they didn't market it to gamers) If they do this right, I think they can be some good competition. Nintendo usually does dominate the handheld market, but with all the NGP is offering, and their legit gaming lineup with new innovative gameplay as Dogen has described above, I don't think it will be our usual Nintendo blow out sales wise.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
I don't think it is a contest, the one notable thing I can give the 3DS over PSP2 is 3D, and that isn't a game changer at all (might be wrong on this since we don't know if NGP has 3D).

NGP doesn't have 3D. Sony commented that they weighed the trade-offs, and the cost especially, and decided they didn't want to use one of Sharp's parallax 3D screens. They weren't interested...they felt they had other things to offer. Which I guess I'm okay with...especially since as nice as 3D is on a portable, there's significant problems:
- You need more graphics power to render two images at once.
- You need more battery power to render two images at once.
- You can't use it as a touch screen (at least without things getting VERY WEIRD)
- It's expensive tech (though I'm not sure how much compared to an OLED)

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
3DS will still sell more. Nintendo is still the family company. I know the NGP is still better but it wont have the 3DS's fans just yet.

3DS is still cheaper, pretty good graphics, 3D!, and other new software features. That is enough for the casuals.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I hope they come up with some way to get UMD's... Like maybe something where you enter the scanner code thing and it lets you download the game.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I hope they come up with some way to get UMD's... Like maybe something where you enter the scanner code thing and it lets you download the game.

I would love that. I don't want to lose Birth by Sleep and my Final Fantasy's.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Dont count on it. They have been dying to ditch those things for a long time.
Typing in the scanner code allows for them to not have UMD's. It basically allows more people to buy the system since they will be able to play the normal PSP games so people can get rid of their PSPs and update to the NGP

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
It all depends on the marketing, really. It has all the potential to hit a mass casual audience. The PSN already has games that demonstrate that, and with the touch screen, the NGP can easily take a bite out of that market. It's all in Sony's court to just price the thing right and market it right, like Kinect.

But really, don't make harsh calls on what will sell more. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all win some and lose some. While the handheld market has largely always been Nintendo's to devour, the iPhone/iPad have been taking a huge bite at Nintendo's casual market, and now the NGP is hoping to offer even better value than those handhelds.

The most important factors have still yet to be factored in: launch titles; battery life; and price, so it's even harder to guess who's going to come out on top this time.

Anyone's game, really. Get it: we're talking about video games and I said "Anyone's ga-alright fuck it

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
The battery life is 4-5 hours...compared to the 3DS' 3-5 hours.

I keep hearing implications from Kotaku and the like that Uncharted might be a launch title for NGP...or at least they say it's the "first title coming up" for it or something...but I'm not sure if they mean first title revealed or first title to launch with the system....

Uncharted as a launch game is crazy awesome, if true.

Killa DeX

Circa Old Valendian 706
If this is about $250-$300 im still buying it. Fluff the 3DS

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Epic Games: Sony's Next Gen Portable is a "Pretty Huge Deal"

Trendy had never even seen NGP prior to coming to our office and in under a week they delivered the fully playable version of the game we showed on stage... If we had given them another week they would have shown us NGP playing against PS3 as well – they already plan to deliver that functionality when they ship the game."

PS3 to NGP cross-platform play?

wat

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
On max brightness it's 3 hours....but it's even further affected by whether you're playing in 3D mode or 2D mode by about 25% and wi-fi affects it by about 10%.

We can guess it's about
3D: 3-5 hours (4.2 hours with WiFi on constantly) (Highest Brightness is 4 hours with power save on)
2D: 8 hours (6.5 hours with WiFi on constantly)

The NGP actually has an advantage in the OLED since the panel just turns completely off when displaying black colors, helping battery life.

So I suppose they have their pros and cons.

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
The NGP actually has an advantage in the OLED since the panel just turns completely off when displaying black colors, helping battery life.
Wow. That is pretty innovative.
Im suprised we havnt had this done before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back