• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Star Wars: The Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Favorite Star Wars Film

• The Phantom Menace

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Attack of the Clones

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • A New Hope

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 46 39.7%
  • Return of the Jedi

Votes: 19 16.4%

• Total voters

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

2 hours of nothing. 30 min of spectacle.

Spoiler Spoiler Show
This.

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Titty aliens. Squeezable. I will buy them.

DRIHRfuUIAATI2k.jpg:large
This too.

My favorite parts from least to greatest:
Laura Dern playing Mary-Louise Parker cosplaying Jenji Kohan.

SHOOT THAT HUNK OF JUNK...OUT OF THE SKY!!!!

A bunch of Rebels die because Finn and Rose got a parking ticket. :'D

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-last-jedi-rotten-tomatoes-audience-score-lowest/

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

That was officially the worst Star Wars movie I've ever seen. And I'm one of those annoying people that tends to just not even acknowledge the prequels, but this was bad. It was just a bad movie. Poor writing, all one-liners and quips, plot holes. Mix that all in with way too long and it's just bad.

I didn't have high expectations to begin with. I left that theater upset that I wasted my Friday night on this.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

Y'all Carrie deserved better.

Why does she keep sending men to do her job.

My brother said it's cause she's "old."

Older than Harrison shambling husk of ebenezer scrooge Ford?

Sci-fi princesses: stop sending men to do your job.

Also Daisy Ridley is as bad as Hayden Christensen. There I said it.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

All I will say is that watch the movie and don’t listen to the reviews. People sold me this movie as the worst since episode 2. Felt very poetic. Not say that it was perfect.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards

It is what you make of it, really. As I said, I know a lot of people who loved it, and that's great. I personally didn't, but I think that's okay too.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

Spoiler Spoiler Show

That last quote that you mentioned in your post may have been one of the worst-acted and most cringeworthy moments in the movie. I heard my buddy beside me give an audible disgusted grunt beside me when that scene played out.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

That last quote that you mentioned in your post may have been one of the worst-acted and most cringeworthy moments in the movie. I heard my buddy beside me give an audible disgusted grunt beside me when that scene played out.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards

The Last Jedi knew what you wanted to expect and said "naaaah"

They played to your expectations perfectly and take a left turn. Beautifully done. I loved this movie more than I loved Force Awakens.

I get what a lot of people saying "what is the point of that scene" when the point WAS to make it pointless. The heroes try and the heroes fail. The First Order is friggen MENACING when they are the ones one step ahead of the heroes. They aren't bumbling Stormtroopers, playing the jester. They are a legit threat and actually felt so in this movie. They dash all hope, all secret plans, everything to bring the Rebels to their knees. I appreciate seeing the bad guys actually win at things instead of constantly losing at every scene.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Without going into any spoilers of the movie directly there is at least one thing I can definitely and confidently say to have observed:

Right now I am having a massive case of undiluted deja-vu back to the late 90's/early 2000's when the Prequels hit the market in terms of divided fan and critic reactions all over the place.

With casuals and official reviews praising the new movie while large swaths of "old school" fanboys/-girls are complaining and hating about it, often garnished with some variations of how "Disney/Rian Johnson/the SJWs etc. ruined Star Wars forever now" and how it doesn't live up to/ruins the Original Trilogy, it feels totally ridiculous to watch and read.
Especially since we already had this whole shebang with the Prequels beforehand a decade ago.

I personally also have some grievances with the new sequel trilogy, mainly in terms of the narrative premise (which in my view is too similar to the original premise of the OT with a failing "good/democratic" government and the near-annihilation of light-sided/good force users), as it makes the Star Wars galaxy seem somewhat static and like a weird cycle in which the same things happen over and over only with slight variations, but I literally facepalm and shake my head at those hating on these movies because they
- don't have the characters of the OT taking center stage, it was stated officially even before "The Force Awakens" came out that while the OT main characters would appear they will no longer be the main leads.
- have a female main lead character and a man of color in a more central role.

Also, since it can't go completely without spoilers:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

- don't have the characters of the OT taking center stage, it was stated officially even before "The Force Awakens" came out that while the OT main characters would appear they will no longer be the main leads.
I'm sure that's why they centered this entire movie's marketing and advertisement around the mystery of Luke Skywalker and featured "main characters" like Finn and Poe for about three seconds in every trailer. But that's fine because they gave them the meat of the plot and a whole lot of important stuff to do in the actual movie-- oh wait, that didn't happen.

This argument is specious at best. I don't place the OT on a pedestal, rather I prefer the PT for 2/3 movies, but this ST "which is definitely not about the OT characters" has no problem shamelessly exploiting nostalgia and drumming up fan expectations about what the OT characters are doing now-- TFA did it with Han Solo, this movie with Luke and all indications are that Disney intended to use Leia the same way for IX. The significance of these characters returning to the saga has been oversold to the audience from the start, such that Disney does not have a leg to stand on if they want to make the case that the story isn't about them.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

have a female main lead character and a man of color in a more central role.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

I'm sure that's why they centered this entire movie's marketing and advertisement around the mystery of Luke Skywalker and featured "main characters" like Finn and Poe for about three seconds in every trailer. But that's fine because they gave them the meat of the plot and a whole lot of important stuff to do in the actual movie-- oh wait, that didn't happen.

This argument is specious at best. I don't place the OT on a pedestal, rather I prefer the PT for 2/3 movies, but this ST "which is definitely not about the OT characters" has no problem shamelessly exploiting nostalgia and drumming up fan expectations about what the OT characters are doing now-- TFA did it with Han Solo, this movie with Luke and all indications are that Disney intended to use Leia the same way for IX. The significance of these characters returning to the saga has been oversold to the audience from the start, such that Disney does not have a leg to stand on if they want to make the case that the story isn't about them.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Fair point to be sure, but that's something to lay before the feet of Disney's marketing department rather than the movie itself or the actors. I remember clearly as day an interview where Mark Hamill himself warned the audience to not go in with overblown expectations. Luke Skywalker in the new trilogy is strictly spoken a plot device, an important plot device to be sure, but nonetheless.

I wasn't speaking about anyone in particular but generally about the observations I made from the reactions of fans, official critics and media, which is strikingly similar to what happened ten years ago with the prequels.
It's an observation, not a judgement.

People were "drummed up" with expectations to experience the origin story of both Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi, yet leaving legitimate grievances like clunky scripting and dialogue aside (George Lucas has great ideas but sucks in translating them into a working script), people also spew hate and vitriol against the actors (especially Jake Lloyd, about which Mark Hamill is salty about to this day) and the apparently so bad CGI because it didn't line up with what their personal expectations about a young "Darth Vader" were.

If we speak about personal preference, I'm certainly also no prequel hater as while I do admit the movies themselves, when speaking strictly about the movie-quality, are mediocre at best, they do have a refreshing premise and expand the setting of the Star Wars galaxy a great deal.
People may argue this, but I am firmly of the opinion that the prequels did much more world-building and delivering background information than the OT ever did, even the so often derided "too much politics" in the prequels serve this as you cannot have the Clone Wars and a democracy being dismantled and turned into an oppressive dictatorship without politics and scheming.

Granted, Disney also made themselves few friends by disregarding the entire old EU (now Legends) so they're now probably getting double flak, from those "old school"-OT fans about the original cast and from those fans of the "old EU" where the things that happened were quite some different to what's happening now in the Disney-canon (like a functioning New Jedi Order with Luke as Grand Master who's constantly trying to balance the old teachings with the requirements of a modern galaxy, avoiding the staleness of the old Jedi or a reasonably competent New Republic with the titular "Star Wars" actually being pretty balanced with the stronger Imperial Remnant factions instead of yet another "underdog"-scenario).
The old EU had many hit-and-miss works and some outright awful stuff, but there were certainly some real gems among it like Timothy Zahn's Thrawn-trilogy, which many old EU-fans would have preferred to be Episode VII to IX.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I loved this movie. I understand the complaints and have my own issues with the film (and do plan to post something more detailed when I get the chance), but I think this is just the film the franchise needed.

One of the only things I’m honestly super disappointed with is Finn and Rose’s plot. They could have removed all of that from the film and nothing would be missed. I love Rose as a character and I loved Canto Bight’s design and I loved that they wanted to do a plot about the capitalistic greed that is fueling the war...but why did they have to handle it all so poorly? It felt so disconnected from the overall plot.

Also, I could have gone without the Finn/Rose kiss. Finn clearly seemed shocked by it and wasn’t really into it. It is amazing that it is such a historic thing, but it came so out of left field. Half of the theater I was in groaned when it happened. They were so into everything else, too. Finn and Rose don’t have that kind of chemistry. They work well together on screen, but there was no tension between them. Not like Rey and Kylo, or Han and Leia, or even the same kind of natural chemistry Poe and Finn have.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

So I was rewatching Rebels(Shroud of Darkness)...To think there were hints of it since last year.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

[Everything you said.]
I actually agree haha.

On the issue of Luke, which is really the issue of the film:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Can we please get that Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka movie. It's all that's left to me out of this franchise.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

I actually agree haha.

On the issue of Luke, which is really the issue of the film:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Can we please get that Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka movie. It's all that's left to me out of this franchise.

Well, the more you know, so we're not too far apart in general Star Wars assessment. ^__^

Spoiler Spoiler Show

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show