• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Watch the KINGDOM HEARTS 3 opening movie trailer!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Any ideas on what was the purple light at the beginning supposed to represent? A fallen world?
Joke answer: Kairi's Grandma

Serious answer: It's the same color as we've seen hearts to be, so the light might represent Kingdom Hearts.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I still can't get over how good the CGI looks. Like super impressive.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Joke answer: Kairi's Grandma

Serious answer: It's the same color as we've seen hearts to be, so the light might represent Kingdom Hearts.

That’s what I think. Part of the sky in the box art is purple while the rest is yellow and blue, which corresponds to the colors of the two versions of Kingdom Hearts we’ve seen so far. I think MX will gain access to Kingdom Hearts and it will turn purple from the power of darkness. Of course, purple also symbolizes royalty, so it’s perfect for Kingdom Hearts. Xehanort gazing upon the purple star could represent his desire to reach Kingdom Hearts.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Any ideas on what was the purple light at the beginning supposed to represent? A fallen world?

It's the same purple-y color they tend to use for dark energy so I just took it to be representative of that.

Perkilator

Awards
Can’t wait for this thread to eventually become another KingMickeyMouse situation where a user shites on us for having an opinion and calling it “scientific proof”. Anything more out of hand, and this could become the next World War Pooh.

Awards
I really really liked the song, but not at first.

I remember not liking Sanctuary and Simple and Clean when I first heard, so I tried a couple more times and now I love the new song more than Sanctuary

The Opening was absolutely fantastic. I just wonder exactly why do you all think this opening isn't full-version? I mean, Playstation's channel named it "Opening" only, and I do think the music and visuals fits perfectly together until it ends with a angry Sora (he looks so beautiful omg)

If I had to say something bad it would only be how Roxas looks. His hair seems really plastic-y and I'm not liking the black coaks's textures in this engine/visuals - it seems wrong.

Same. After a few listens, it has really grown on me. I liked Simple and Clean right away, but Sanctuary was just not good imo. It felt so unpolished because there’s no backing vocals in it like there are in Passion, so it sounds like a rough demo track lol. I still don’t care much for it. I love the instrumental, but the vocals make me cringe.

And it’s not the full opening, it’s just a trailier of clips from it cut together. All of the games’ opening sequences have been 3+ minutes long. Plus it didn’t show the opening credits or Sora’s intro lines, which further proves this isn’t the full.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

I mean, I'll take the obvious road and say the dark entity that corrupted Xehanort when he went in space without armor.
I just hope it's symbolical and Nomura didn't decide Xehanort got corrupted as a young kid, because I'd have some issues with that.

Meow Wow

Awards
Again, watch the video, offended fellas.

So why is it that every time somebody calls you out on your relatively weak and repetitive arguement, you call them offended? You can believe whatever you want about modern music for all I care, but you're being hypocritical calling others closed-minded and offended when you can't even take an opposing viewpoint yourself.

Ultimately, the 'evidence' you're using to call modern pop bad isn't even making that point in the first place. Yes, instrument variety may have gone down. Yes, a portion of hits are written by two people. No, that doesn't mean it's objectively bad, however it can be subjectivity bad. Which I believe is what others might be trying to tell you. If an indi musician were to make a hit, is it a bad song because it's pop?
before you accuse me of not watching that video or whatnot, I've seen it multiple times before in the past. He brings up some good points but they ultimately don't lead to any clear truths about the genre

Pokie

Don't know why people are complaining about the music? It's fine and do people really want Simple and Clean for the 700th time?

2 quid is good

Awards
So I was trying to keep myself one hundred percent free of any more trailers but alas I gave in. I muted the song though so I guess I can't contribute on that.

What I will say is that if anyone does think it's too edm-y, listen to simple and clean. Seriously, that song was almost custom made for a club and tbh (and what I'm about to say is tantamount to sacrilege so stay on your horses fellas) I didn't like simple and clean at all when I first heard it, because my first kh games were 2 and Days and I wasn't used to it. But I got there and guess what? It didn't ruin my enjoyment of the game so even if I don't take to this new theme straight away I'm sure it won't detract from the experience.

I feel like you guys who are having meltdowns over the music have put anything KH3 related on a pedestal. Stop now bros. It's not gonna be perfect. Nothing is. Of course, it looks amazing as so far but that doesn't mean much when everyone will have their own individual experiences and could enjoy or hate the same thing. Chillllll ahhhhht.

I do have a gripe with this however (I know, and after all that grandstanding as well smh quid). Roxas looks..... Uncanny to me. And I can't put my finger on what exactly it is because ven looks amazing but there's something about roxas' model that puts me at unease...

I'm guessing they're trying to introduce slight variations between the two? If someone could help me articulate what the problem is t'would be much appreciated

Don't know why people are complaining about the music? It's fine and do people really want Simple and Clean for the 700th time?

THIS. I'm so tired of simple and clean, I feel like they could have at least used sanctuary more than twice, I'm getting serious fatigue -.-'

Datperson1

Welp anyways, this is my 2cents on the matter. Not sure if anyone has mentioned some specific things ive said, but the thought of going through 19 pages to filter out who exactly is just critiquing the music and translation is a bit bleh. So sorry if these points have already been made. Hopefully i provide new ones?

I gave Skrillex and Utada the benefit of the doubt when i first heard of their collab & thought
"Surely they wouldn’t add dubstep/future bass crap to a KH intro….right?"

0:48 sounds pretty good...so far
0:58 *hears future bass* annnnd there it is =_=

The build up at 0:48 was going well and then the "drop" at 0:58 felt so pitifully WEAK and sooooo sloooowww and ruined the tempo for me and left me with blue balls expecting an epic drop.
It would have been better if it continued into a faster bmp upbeat tempo.
It doesn’t even compete with punpees build up and drop. At least Punpee kept the flow going.

Why Utada gave the okay for Skrillex to use this sound is beyond me.
I feel like this type of genre would never sound good in the kh series (But Utada and square obviously disagree =_=").
Im all for trying a different sound, but at least pick one that matches or enhances the previous openings.
Personally, I thought something trance like would have been a good sub genre to play around with.

It doesnt have that kh sound or feel to it, if that makes sense… like simple & clean and sanctuary did.
Those 2 opening songs were so perfect in their own right and fit so well with their corresponding game.
I doubt that when i eventually hear the full version that I will change my mind.

(Soz i just really needed to rant about it this)

I hope Utada's single has a non-skrillex version. Just like we have the remixs & non remix of simple and clean.
So far from what i have seen, it seems like a mixed opinion on the "drop" part at 0:58.

What are your opinions on it? yay or nay?

P.s I also prefer the Japanese lyrics for face my fears and dont think twice. Utada really butchered these 2 songs when translating it to english.
Whats up with the "should I take deep? and what a bittersweet?" part??!!! Holy molly, does this English piss me off when it could have easily been fixed. Even if it has been done on purpose, it sounds so off (and not in a good ingrish way).
Here let me fix it:

Breath, "Should I breathe in deep?"
Faith, should I take the leap? ( this part is just fine, you get a A+ Utada)
Taste, "Why so bittersweet?"

In this case, I wish she would just do a literal translation of the Japanese version instead of writing completely new lyrics.

(and what I'm about to say is tantamount to sacrilege so stay on your horses fellas) I didn't like simple and clean at all when I first heard it, because my first kh games were 2 and Days and I wasn't used to it. But I got there and guess what? It didn't ruin my enjoyment of the game so even if I don't take to this new theme straight away I'm sure it won't detract from the experience.

Are people seriously saying that just because the op song is bad that the game is ruined?
The logic...god help us all.
So the opening is bad to some, sure but how does a one song ruin an entire game?!

100% agree. I never want to hear simple and clean again in future kh games remixed or not.

Last edited:

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
Full disclosure: I only listened to the opening, I have yet to watch it (and will refuse to do so until launch) so I can only comment on the sound.

It started off very good and I really loved it. Utada Hikaru's part was really pretty. Not super digging when the weird synthy stuff started but I was still kind of on board until it devolved into just pure wubby noise. Ugh. I am hoping the longer version will cut back to her singing so that awful section of noise will be short. If the song continues in that manner...I will be very disappointed and sad.

On the positive side, it will make very good jogging music I suppose.

In this case, I wish she would just do a literal translation of the Japanese version instead of writing completely new lyrics.

I've been wanting that since Passion man. Sanctuary is awful trite nonsense lyrically.

Datperson1

Full disclosure: I only listened to the opening, I have yet to watch it (and will refuse to do so until launch) so I can only comment on the sound.

Same! I just clicked the vid and looked away. I wouldnt want to watch only a snippet and then have to wait a month and a bit to for the full version. I want to experience the gorgeous eye candy animation in its full glory.
But listening to the music fine.

It started off very good and I really loved it. Utada Hikaru's part was really pretty. Not super digging when the weird synthy stuff started but I was still kind of on board until it devolved into just pure wubby noise. Ugh. I am hoping the longer version will cut back to her singing so that awful section of noise will be short. If the song continues in that manner...I will be very disappointed and sad.

Just fix Utada's ingrish and her part would have been 100% perfect for me.

My gut tells me the song will contain more of the future bass crap/dubstep whatever ppl are calling it. Sad.

I've been wanting that since Passion man. Sanctuary is awful trite nonsense lyrically.

Yep. I never understood why Utada makes it seem like she HAS to change the lyrics completely.
I get it if it doesn't match the tempo or if there is no equivalent translation for Japaneses version to English. (like some phases in different languages only make sense in their origin and when translated lose their meaning or just sound weird)

I really loved the Japanese lyrics for chikai/oath and then i listened to dont think twice and i was just like......why.....WHYYY???

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Just fix Utada's ingrish and her part would have been 100% perfect for me.

Stop saying this. 1: It's offensive, but 2: Utada was born in New York and speaks English perfectly. She's also not a fan of translating her work because her original songs are written to suit the Japanese language and taking those melodies for English can compromise the flow. That's why Simple and Clean has an entirely different melody from Hikari. This discrepancy is part of the reason why she said she wasn't coming back for Kingdom Hearts III a decade ago.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Utada is completely fluent in Japanese and English (and some other languages I'm pretty sure). Didn't she partially grow up in the US?

ANYWAY, I love the English lyrics, more than the Japanese lyrics this time.

Back