• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Watch the KINGDOM HEARTS 3 opening movie trailer!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Full disclosure: I only listened to the opening, I have yet to watch it (and will refuse to do so until launch) so I can only comment on the sound.

It started off very good and I really loved it. Utada Hikaru's part was really pretty. Not super digging when the weird synthy stuff started but I was still kind of on board until it devolved into just pure wubby noise. Ugh. I am hoping the longer version will cut back to her singing so that awful section of noise will be short. If the song continues in that manner...I will be very disappointed and sad.

On the positive side, it will make very good jogging music I suppose.

I've been wanting that since Passion man. Sanctuary is awful trite nonsense lyrically.

It does cut back to Utada. “Lose, soon I’ve nothing to” / “nee umaretsuki”

Hikaru Utada Official Website | Face My Fears 2019.01.18 on sale

Enturax

Awards
So why is it that every time somebody calls you out on your relatively weak and repetitive arguement, you call them offended? You can believe whatever you want about modern music for all I care, but you're being hypocritical calling others closed-minded and offended when you can't even take an opposing viewpoint yourself.

Ultimately, the 'evidence' you're using to call modern pop bad isn't even making that point in the first place. Yes, instrument variety may have gone down. Yes, a portion of hits are written by two people. No, that doesn't mean it's objectively bad, however it can be subjectivity bad. Which I believe is what others might be trying to tell you. If an indi musician were to make a hit, is it a bad song because it's pop?
before you accuse me of not watching that video or whatnot, I've seen it multiple times before in the past. He brings up some good points but they ultimately don't lead to any clear truths about the genre

And I'll say it ONCE again: I didn't say it makes it objectively bad. That's why I call you offended - because mostly a pissed off people ignore so much text.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Stop saying this. 1: It's offensive, but 2: Utada was born in New York and speaks English perfectly. She's also not a fan of translating her work because her original songs are written to suit the Japanese language and taking those melodies for English can compromise the flow. That's why Simple and Clean has an entirely different melody from Hikari. This discrepancy is part of the reason why she said she wasn't coming back for Kingdom Hearts III a decade ago.

I can't even blame her for feeling that way. She doesn't even have to do an English version, she could've done just the Japanese version and called it a day.

People are lucky Square didn't go ahead and get Ariana Grande for the theme song or something lmao.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
And I'll say it ONCE again: I didn't say it makes it objectively bad. That's why I call you offended - because mostly a pissed off people ignore so much text.

If you guys don't drop it, you're getting an infraction

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Your claim was that music is scientifically proven to be worse than past music in conjunction to why you think Face My Fears is a bad song. That’s attempting to make the claim that it is objectively bad—that it is fact that modern music is bad therefore this is bad, too. Except everybody has been trying to explain that music is a subjective experience and that music doesn’t need to be complex or any other standards some study measured to be good or entertaining.

Edit: I’m going to stop now, though since Dandelion said it needs to be dropped.

Last edited:

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I can't even blame her for feeling that way. She doesn't even have to do an English version, she could've done just the Japanese version and called it a day.

People are lucky Square didn't go ahead and get Ariana Grande for the theme song or something lmao.

They got someone to do a Cover of Stand by Me, they would get anyone and no stomping their feets would stop it. Hell I am so use to just openings, I wouldn't mind just that.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
Yeah... Really don't like the music. Anything that gets anywhere near that techno "noise" stuff completely loses me. Oh well, what *really* matters to me is Yoko Shimomura's music. I'm used to feeling this way with Japanese media. I don't care about the openings, I care about the BGM. Lol.

BirthBySorrow

Love what we've seen thus far. Love what we've heard so far.

There is a melody to the part lacking vocals btw. I do not know if some are just biologically incapable of hearing it or if the electronic sounds make it difficult/are too grating to focus on it, but it's there. It could also be whatever speakers/headphones they are hearing it out of.

It's still repetitive though, that much is true. If nothing else, I hope the no vocal part isn't much longer in the full version.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Ah yes, I love seeing RAX being torn apart, time and time again.

tumblr_pjjoqnLAbZ1v2d0upo3_r2_400.gif

Precious.

Enturax

Awards
Your claim was that music is scientifically proven to be worse than past music in conjunction to why you think Face My Fears is a bad song. That’s attempting to make the claim that it is objectively bad—that it is fact that modern music is bad therefore this is bad, too. Except everybody has been trying to explain that music is a subjective experience and that music doesn’t need to be complex or any other standards some study measured to be good or entertaining.

Edit: I’m going to stop now, though since Dandelion said it needs to be dropped.

I elaborated on it later what I meant exactly by that. And yes, let's drop it.

LostArtist

Awards
I do have a gripe with this however (I know, and after all that grandstanding as well smh quid). Roxas looks..... Uncanny to me. And I can't put my finger on what exactly it is because ven looks amazing but there's something about roxas' model that puts me at unease...

Maybe the color of his face in that scene? since it's pretty orange/saturated

BirthBySorrow

For the record, we have more trans-ish or melodious theme in "Don't Think Twice." So I can't agree with anyone that simply wanted a retread of a sound we already have. I can however empathize with anyone who doesn't enjoy the particular EDM sound we got. It's not for everyone, and while I don't think it's as far off from remixes with past songs as some claim, it definitely stands on its own and is noticeable.

I just can't understand how an opening can justify some of the harsh criticism/attacking of Utada but especially Skrillex I've seen/heard was going around social media. Skrillex is supposedly a big fan of the franchise even going so far as to put in extra effort in order to create a completely new song at his request, and whether you agree with his style of music or not, he has put care and passion into it. He isn't ruining the game because of a melody choice, he's putting his mark on a game he's long loved and appreciated just like the rest of us.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I do have a gripe with this however (I know, and after all that grandstanding as well smh quid). Roxas looks..... Uncanny to me. And I can't put my finger on what exactly it is because ven looks amazing but there's something about roxas' model that puts me at unease...

CG RAX always looks weird to me and I've never been able to pinpoint why.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I didn't see it mentioned but the video edit of Sora fighting Ansem, then Marluxia, and then Xemnas is sooo cool. Really well done.

2 quid is good

Awards
Maybe the color of his face in that scene? since it's pretty orange/saturated
it's more the shape of his nose I think, and his hair colour is quite darker so that may be it. Thanks!

Yeah it's just a gut feeling of "this is wrong" that I get when looking at him, I have no other way to describe it XD

Do you find Ven weird to look at too?

Edit: OK so I rewatched the roxas thing fram by frame and I think the thing that throws me off is that for some reason his nose is slightly out of proportion and his eyes are quite far apart. I *think*, anyway

Last edited:

mytomxxx

RAX are off to me too, but only when they are toguether in the tower looking to the camera, then come back to normal

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
it's more the shape of his nose I think, and his hair colour is quite darker so that may be it. Thanks!

Yeah it's just a gut feeling of "this is wrong" that I get when looking at him, I have no other way to describe it XD

Do you find Ven weird to look at too?

Not at all! Everyone else looks fine. It might end up just being a lighting thing because I thought RAX looked weird in the 3D intro as well when they were on the clocktower.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
They got someone to do a Cover of Stand by Me, they would get anyone and no stomping their feets would stop it. Hell I am so use to just openings, I wouldn't mind just that.

Yeah, and I really like the cover of Stand By Me. I love the original, but I don't think the original would work for XV lol. Not to mention, the fact that the song has a completely different meaning once you beat the game compared from when you first begin really drives the entire point home.

Funny thing is, Square DID get Ariana for Brave Exvius, and now apparently they have a Katy Perry song, so there's that. I wouldn't want them to do a Kingdom Hearts opening though, just out of pure nostalgia with Utada. However, there may come a day where she may not want to come back to do a theme song, so I wonder who Square would go to for that.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Yeah, and I really like the cover of Stand By Me. I love the original, but I don't think the original would work for XV lol. Not to mention, the fact that the song has a completely different meaning once you beat the game compared from when you first begin really drives the entire point home.

Funny thing is, Square DID get Ariana for Brave Exvius, and now apparently they have a Katy Perry song, so there's that. I wouldn't want them to do a Kingdom Hearts opening though, just out of pure nostalgia with Utada. However, there may come a day where she may not want to come back to do a theme song, so I wonder who Square would go to for that.

I havent beat or played XV but I think Stand by Me is just a opening, nothing related to the endings that people shouldn't lose sleep over so what a song relates to the whole game is subjective

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards

If I were to poke around inside your brain the best I could come up with is that RAX were only really featured in an extremely low fidelity game on the Nintendo DS. We don't spend too much time with the three of them in a high quality animated fashion-- even their cinematic remake on the HD collection is stunted when it comes to movement and dynamic scenes. They're actually a pretty dynamic group of characters (mostly thanks to the addition of Axel) in their dialogue and dynamic, but we don't see them do much or even visualize their emotions much.

Going from nothing to beautifully animated CG is jarring. Also the lighting is a bit harsh, harsher than anything we've seen in previous intros or in-game. Roxas and Axel look fine when they're fighting, partly because we've lived through that and my brain can easily accept it.

Back