• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Exclusive: KHInsider Interviews Tetsuya Nomura!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Our staff at KHInsider were lucky enough to be able to meet with Tetsuya Nomura today at the Kingdom Hearts -HD 2.5 ReMIX- Launch Event and ask him a few questions about the new HD collection. These questions were asked in joint with Churro from KHUltimania. Due to the short time we had with Mr. Nomura, we only got to ask a select few questions so please enjoy!

---To start things off, how are you today, Nomura-san?

Nomura: I'm doing fine, thank you. Looking forward to being here. Actually my flight was delayed for 2.5 hours but I didn't realize it until later because I had fallen asleep (laughs).

---How did it feel to revisit these titles again? 

Nomura: It felt the same as it did throughout the series, as our focus was to make the game more accessible to newer players. That was our stance throughout the project, and it has not changed. 

---How big was the development team for Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix?

Nomura: It was the same as 1.5. We has a designated team of programmers specifically working on the remasters and a same art team that's been working on the series.

---One of the two new scenes in Re:coded features a conversation Xigbar has with Young Master Xehanort before the events of KH3D. In this scene, it appears that not even his younger self is entirely on board with Master Xehanort's plans, as if his status as a confident participant is uncertain. Could you tell us about his position at this current point in time and what we may look forward to in the future with him?

Nomura: As you know, Xehanort loses his memory at the end of KH3D. However, he has something like a beacon inside him that guides him unconsciously. It's a feeling in his heart that he doesn't quite understand but follows regardless. In that regard, you could say he really is just walking the path laid out for him.

---Many of our fans are excited to see the Birth by Sleep Final Mix secret ending, which mentions Birth by Sleep Volume 2. What were your thoughts behind including this?

Nomura: I suppose you could say that the ideas are "floating". See, Birth by Sleep Volume 2 was never meant to be the second chapter of Birth by Sleep. Rather, it was intended to be a separate piece. The ideas are still there, but they are not currently being pursued. Perhaps in the future we will have the opportunity to touch back upon this subject.

---What was the process in choosing which scenes from Re:coded to remake?

Nomura: I'd go over the entire script first. Of course the scenes that were already animated would automatically be included, but we'd tweak them in such a way that "adds flavor". That is, make them more interesting for players to experience and more suitable for cinematic theater as we can't rely on gameplay. We also focused on taking the scenes that focused purely on the Kingdom Hearts original content, and enhanced them further because they are so crucial to the story. In order to select from the Disney worlds, we focused on balancing the important scenes with the charm that these characters and locales inherently bring.

Remember to like KHInsider on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Tumblr for all the latest Kingdom Hearts news!

Noel

Awards
I somehow sniff an Advent Children equivalent for Birth By Sleep Volume 2. To be honest, I would love to have that rather than a game for some reason. I'd love to see everything translated in CGI utilizing the Kingdom Shader or a hand drawn anime. Something in a different art style or media would be amazing.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I asked #2, 4, and 6 :3

Sdog

Awards
OMG This is so cool! I could only imagine how this felt! =P

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I congratulate you guys on actually forming coherent words that formed complete sentences to talk to Nomura...the sounds that would have exited by vocal cords would have been compared to that of a 3-month old newborn who has yet to grasp any concept of speaking :)

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Keep that BBSv2 floating, Nomura. ;_; Never let the dream die.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
I asked #2, 4, and 6 :3

Amazing job, you were able to squeeze some what out of that sponge.

I wonder what he's trying to do with another prequel. Just seems like he's going to be making something that could open the new adventure but...ehh I hope not. Just find ways tie things up finally .

BEASTENDER

I remember wanting BBSV 2 to be made just so I could fight alongside Sephiroth. Despite being a Final Fantasy fan, when BBS was first released I didn't know Sephiroth used to be a good guy. If he was "evil" in KH2, he was a hero 10 years prior; making for a rare and amazing chance in my opinion. Then again there was that one scene with Zack in BBS's credits with the black feather...Hmmm...

I never forgot about it though. I remember it being teased at the end of a trailer, and then never hearing from it again. Anyway, thanks for sharing the info he shared with you.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Really, really interesting news. The hype is real. This might be silly question, but I have to ask it anyway. How does it feel to be in the same room as Nomura, and begin able to talk to him?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
It was a very small, cramped room behind the theater at WDAS. Nomura was there with 4 SE staff (though I'm not entirely sure what two of them were doing), one of which was the main translator for the event and the other was head of PR.

Nomura was about what you'd expect him to be; nice, quiet, friendly. He only made eye contact during greetings, and seemed to avoid it the rest of the time we were with him.

The actual interview was super short since they had apparently fallen behind schedule earlier on, so we were only allowed to ask 3 questions each. Unfortunately for us, we had prepared a lot of questions that covered topics about Nomura himself, Chi, 3D HD, etc., because we weren't sure what the situation would be like. But at the end of the day, we had to stick to 2.5 as closely as possible, and being strapped for time, I chose not to bother with trying to haggle for these other questions and just took what I could.

It was easy to do the interview, but we just didn't know actually how to start. Actually, this was the first official interview opportunity we had ever received for both myself and Churro with a member from the JP KH development team.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Unfortunately for us, we had prepared a lot of questions that covered topics about Nomura himself, Chi, 3D HD, etc.
Which was a shame because I felt we had some really good questions for him that we couldn't ask :(

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'd love a full hour-long KHI interview with Nomura, no strings attached :C

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
An all out no bars hold interview with Nomura with no topic off limit would be fantastic.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
It was a very small, cramped room behind the theater at WDAS. Nomura was there with 4 SE staff (though I'm not entirely sure what two of them were doing), one of which was the main translator for the event and the other was head of PR.

Nomura was about what you'd expect him to be; nice, quiet, friendly. He only made eye contact during greetings, and seemed to avoid it the rest of the time we were with him.

The actual interview was super short since they had apparently fallen behind schedule earlier on, so we were only allowed to ask 3 questions each. Unfortunately for us, we had prepared a lot of questions that covered topics about Nomura himself, Chi, 3D HD, etc., because we weren't sure what the situation would be like. But at the end of the day, we had to stick to 2.5 as closely as possible, and being strapped for time, I chose not to bother with trying to haggle for these other questions and just took what I could.

It was easy to do the interview, but we just didn't know actually how to start. Actually, this was the first official interview opportunity we had ever received for both myself and Churro with a member from the JP KH development team.

Oh, man. It would have been cool if you guys could have asked more questions, since you had them ready. Oh well, I bet it must have been pretty cool to get an interview.

Maybe Nomura is little bit shy? :D
I also read that Shimomura played Scherzo di Notte in the event. Is this true?
Thank you for the reply Sign!

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
He is very shy and reserved! We've always known that he isn't particularly fond of having to attend events like this and interact with the audience, but he's recently started to come out of his shell. Of course, he'll always be that typical Nomura.

Shimomura did not, but Livan, a brilliant pianist who attended the event by special request from Shimomura herself (he also worked with VGO as the pianist for the Lightning Returns soundtrack), played Scherzo di Notte. He also played Kairi - Andante Sostenuto, Missing You - Namine, Sora - Allegro con brio, Finale: Working Together - Allegro vivace, and Hand in Hand.

Shimomura and Livan performed two duets: The Other Promise and Dearly Beloved.

We'll have a more detailed write-up available tomorrow because my laptop only has like half an hour of life left with no charger 8D

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
Congrats on getting to speak directly to the man himself and excellent choice of questions for the interview! If it were me I would have lost it going over my list of questions to figure out which ones to ask.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
If you could, would you ever do a proper long interview with him? That would be awesome!

Heartkeeper

Awards
Congrats for the interview, let's hope someday they let KHI and other KH fansites to do a longer interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back