• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sony

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards
So the hard drive in your PS4 is what allows you to download and install games. The PS4 initially came with 500 GB of storage. More recent models have been coming with 1 TB (twice the size of 500 GB).

So, originally the only way to get more space was to upgrade what is called your Internal hard drive. Some people were upgrading to 1 TB from the initial 500 GB, and others were upgrading to a whopping 2 TB internal hard drive, allowing people to pretty much never have to worry about running out of space and deleting old installs and whatnot.

Now what this recent update did was provide the option of using an External hard drive to give yourself more space for games. Internal hard drives are literally inside your PS4, so you have to open it up a bit to swap one out and whatnot. But with external, it's a hard drive you can use in the outside simply by connecting it via USB drive and formatting it to match your PlayStation.

What the update did not do was literally provide you with more space, it just allowed for use of a new method of getting more space.

Edit: And then regarding space needed for an install or update, as Chaser said you need more space than the actual size of the download. If the update you need says it is 500 MB, then you need 1 GB of free space. If it is 1 GB, then check your space and make sure you have 2 GB free, etc. Increasing your internal hard drive storage or getting an external hard drive is how you prevent this from happening to make sure you have room for all of your games.

I see. I knew I should had held out on the entire PS4 thing, but no I had to get infamous: second son because of my love for the series. Okay, now I know what I am dealing with and I suppose playing games is out of the question because of space until then.

Why does things happen to me the moment I start having fun? Dx I swear, it's like the universe is against me lol.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I see. I knew I should had held out on the entire PS4 thing, but no I had to get infamous: second son because of my love for the series. Okay, now I know what I am dealing with and I suppose playing games is out of the question because of space until then.

Why does things happen to me the moment I start having fun? Dx I swear, it's like the universe is against me lol.

For now you can just uninstall a couple games you aren't playing at the moment to install the one you want to play. I did that back and forth for months until I upgraded my hard drive.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Yeah, to make it work, you need to format a external hdd and move his games to it. Or a new internal.

I would NOT recommend the common one unless you like your PS4 to beep like a fire alarm if you want to upgrade the internal storage first. Use this one for the upgrade, be happy. And if you want to know how to do it: Sony'll tell you. All you need besides that is a fat32 external hdd to back stuff up on/put your system software on, and the drive, and you should be good to go.

As for external, any hdd that you can format as some form of FAT32 will work. I'm thinking about getting one, but I have a 2 TB drive in mine, so as long as it doesn't fail, I should be good for a long time.

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards
For now you can just uninstall a couple games you aren't playing at the moment to install the one you want to play. I did that back and forth for months until I upgraded my hard drive.

So I won't lose all my trophies for the games I've not played in a while? I mean, all of this is news and it was on my brother to do all the work for me since I'm not well versed in those things beside being knowledgeable of the lore of certain games which annoys him, lol.

Well, there are some games I've not played, so just uninstall the ones I don't usually play until I want to, right? Sounds like work to me, lol. I suppose I'll give it a shot until he comes back from Nashville.. You know March Madness basketball nonsense.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
So I won't lose all my trophies for the games I've not played in a while? I mean, all of this is news and it was on my brother to do all the work for me since I'm not well versed in those things beside being knowledgeable of the lore of certain games which annoys him, lol.

Well, there are some games I've not played, so just uninstall the ones I don't usually play until I want to, right? Sounds like work to me, lol. I suppose I'll give it a shot until he comes back from Nashville.. You know March Madness basketball nonsense.

No, trophies and save data are separate from install data, so you'll be good just to delete the install.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
I'm hearing that those who preordered South Park: The Fractured But Whole are having their preorders cancelled and refunded by Sony, so if any of you preordered the game on PSN and randomly have money back in your wallet, that should be why.

Sony has a policy on refunds for digital games when they suffer a significant delay, but this doesn't bode well for the game regardless.

Sdog

Awards
[video=youtube;d-7Wm-zyOc8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7Wm-zyOc8[/video]

The boys are back in town!

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Jak X on there? Nice.
I know a lot of people who desired that for the PS3 collection and were disappointed.

LightWithin

Awards
[video=youtube;d-7Wm-zyOc8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7Wm-zyOc8[/video]

The boys are back in town!
Oh man I am so picking that up! I only played the first one and would love to try out the others.

Rael_Oblivion

I would NOT recommend the common one unless you like your PS4 to beep like a fire alarm if you want to upgrade the internal storage first. Use this one for the upgrade, be happy. And if you want to know how to do it: Sony'll tell you. All you need besides that is a fat32 external hdd to back stuff up on/put your system software on, and the drive, and you should be good to go.
What do you mean by 'the common one'? An external or internal? And is an external required to back stuff up on? Because I don't have one and my PS4 space is filling up fast. I have a 2TB internal ready to swap out soon, though.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
[video=youtube;vuPHlZ7JUd8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuPHlZ7JUd8[/video]

You just have to love Japan and their marketing.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
There are rumors flying around that the PlayStation 5 might see a release next year.

That'd be such a stupid move from Sony if that ends up being the case. The PlayStation 4 already has the highest install base out of all the systems, they'd be replicating Nintendo's shift from the Wii to the Wii U.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
That'd be such a stupid move from Sony if that ends up being the case. The PlayStation 4 already has the highest install base out of all the systems, they'd be replicating Nintendo's shift from the Wii to the Wii U.

Absolutely no chance.

Too many games still on the horizon. There'd be too much lost money. It's not happening.

Sony's PlayStation 4 was released on November of 2013. The usual console life span is five, to six years. The year 2018 would mark the PS4's fifth year on the market. It's just a rumor, but the last gen was the only one that pulled a decade of life. It's possible Sony does the same this gen, seeing as how lots of games are incoming for their system, and compatibles and exclusives for the Pro.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Sony's PlayStation 4 was released on November of 2013. The usual console life span is five, to six years. The year 2018 would mark the PS4's fifth year on the market. It's just a rumor, but the last gen was the only one that pulled a decade of life. It's possible Sony does the same this gen, seeing as how lots of games are incoming for their system, and compatibles and exclusives for the Pro.

I don't think you can categorize it by just years on the market, and if you are then you have to look at what's most recent, which is last generation. Sony released the Pro, Slim, and the PlayStation VR late last year, so releasing another major console next year wouldn't make any sense, as you're throwing away a lot of potential money and developer investment to the wayside. Maybe in terms of timeline, it is smarter to look at the distance between when Sony released the PS3 Slim vs. when the PS4 came out, which came out in 2009. So if you want to look at timelines, we're potentially 3-4 years out from another PlayStation console. Iterative hardware like the slim and pro is not new.

The PS4 is selling at an astronomical rate, so it would be absolutely ridiculous to assume that Sony would just drop a majority of those sales in order to just put out a new console, when the full potential of the PS4, sales and performance wise, have not yet been reached. Why would Sony put out a new console when there's still dozens of exclusives still to come within the next 1-3 years for PS4? Why would they release a new console, which they would lose money on, when they are making a profit off of the current hardware that is not showing signs of slowing down in the sales department?

I realize it's just a rumor, yet I've yet to see it pop up on any of the sites or here from any of my sources that I typically deem credible. It's fun to debate rumors and speculation, but this one is far too unrealistic for my taste. We'll see the PS5 no earlier than 2019 or probably 2020. There's just no logical reason for Sony to release it before then.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to throw shade your way, I think it's an interesting discussion. I just don't see how or why it would be feasible seeing how Sony is set up currently.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I don't think you can categorize it by just years on the market, and if you are then you have to look at what's most recent, which is last generation. Sony released the Pro, Slim, and the PlayStation VR late last year, so releasing another major console next year wouldn't make any sense, as you're throwing away a lot of potential money and developer investment to the wayside. Maybe in terms of timeline, it is smarter to look at the distance between when Sony released the PS3 Slim vs. when the PS4 came out, which came out in 2009. So if you want to look at timelines, we're potentially 3-4 years out from another PlayStation console. Iterative hardware like the slim and pro is not new.

The PS4 is selling at an astronomical rate, so it would be absolutely ridiculous to assume that Sony would just drop a majority of those sales in order to just put out a new console, when the full potential of the PS4, sales and performance wise, have not yet been reached. Why would Sony put out a new console when there's still dozens of exclusives still to come within the next 1-3 years for PS4? Why would they release a new console, which they would lose money on, when they are making a profit off of the current hardware that is not showing signs of slowing down in the sales department?

I realize it's just a rumor, yet I've yet to see it pop up on any of the sites or here from any of my sources that I typically deem credible. It's fun to debate rumors and speculation, but this one is far too unrealistic for my taste. We'll see the PS5 no earlier than 2019 or probably 2020. There's just no logical reason for Sony to release it before then.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to throw shade your way, I think it's an interesting discussion. I just don't see how or why it would be feasible seeing how Sony is set up currently.

lol no worries. I get your points. I also think it's waaay too early to be talking about the next gen. The PS4 needs more original intellectual properties, and less remasters, even though I enjoy them as well.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
lol no worries. I get your points. I also think it's waaay too early to be talking about the next gen. The PS4 needs more original intellectual properties, and less remasters, even though I enjoy them as well.

Amen. It's crazy we're still getting so many remasters at this point in the life cycle. I honestly thought it would've dropped off at this point, but PS4 has gotten a pretty slow start software wise, so I guess that's why remasters are still so popular.

Back