• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XV

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I'm kinda worried that the $33 Million loss is gonna affect these two.
Nope, not possible, well, at least for KH3. The money's all been dumped in. Any future KH3 content is most likely going to be funded by the big bank the game makes on its own or through collaboration with Disney, who doesn't even care a little bit about FFXV.

FF7R on the other hand could feel some vibrations from this, but in many ways FF7R isn't truly 'real' yet and has yet to take shape in any meaningful way so it's all conjecture at this point.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Nope, not possible, well, at least for KH3. The money's all been dumped in. Any future KH3 content is most likely going to be funded by the big bank the game makes on its own or through collaboration with Disney, who doesn't even care a little bit about FFXV.
yeah the way disney helping now i wouldnt worry about it

Leaferian

Awards
As far as I've seen, the loss they reported was the cost of getting the new Luminous Studio up and running. They only formed the studio what, 8 months ago and are focusing "new AAA IPs", so they won't see a return on investment for 3-5 years at least. It seems very unlikely that this will affect their existing projects, though I could see how it would affect what they focus on in the future.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm kinda worried that the $33 Million loss is gonna affect these two.

It won’t impact KH3 as far as I can tell. It’s Disney’s game, after all, and they’ll be sure that their investment is seen through. Square Enix also needs these two games to perform well in order to offset these losses. So if they want to keep their doors open, development must continue.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
This is a shame. I don't care what anyone says, I really enjoyed my time with FFXV and I was looking forward to all of these new DLC stories. I loved this world and it's lore and I've enjoyed everything being expanded upon as we went along, and it's been nice getting these characters fleshed out. I know it's been a bumpy and expensive road and I generally don't like the way DLC is taking gaming, but considering XV's history and my kind of attachment to it I've enjoyed the chances it had been getting to give us these things.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I'm not surprised Tabata resigned. He kept talking about his new project he wanted to do and I'm guessing he didn't want to be on the hook for another 3 dlc episodes. God damn shame too, because Lunafreya and Aranea were criminally under-used in XV and I was really looking forward to them getting their own stories.

Yeah what the hell? I'm honestly steamed that of all things they cancel the two DLC's that would let the female characters actually do something lol. I guess its in keeping to the way they were treated in game.... This is super lame honestly. I really don't understand the decision. Did they just jump the gun on announcing them? I feel like Square needs to get their shit together with announcing things prematurely. Its getting a little ridiculous now.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Press F for Tabata

Honestly, whatever. I think another year is too long just for a couple episodes. I hope he finds new work in the industry.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Sad for Tabata

Sad for not getting Episode Aranea

Sad for dropped PC support

Couldn't care less about the two other non-canon "happy ending" episodes

Glad we're at least getting Ardyn's episode

Angry that there's only a month left to obtain any Comrades related trophies, and I haven't even started playing it yet

Well, maybe it was for the best that Nomura got off this train. Now it’s up to KH3 and Final Fantasy 7R to turn things around. I couldn’t think of two better SE titles for the task, honestly.

Let's get one thing straight - FFXV was not a flop. Quite the opposite. It recouped the development cost on day one I believe and has sold almost 8m units, making it one of the best-selling entries in the franchise.

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Sad for Tabata

Sad for not getting Episode Aranea

Sad for dropped PC support

Couldn't care less about the two other non-canon "happy ending" episodes

Glad we're at least getting Ardyn's episode

Angry that there's only a month left to obtain any Comrades related trophies, and I haven't even started playing it yet

Let's get one thing straight - FFXV was not a flop. Quite the opposite. It recouped the development cost on day one I believe and has sold almost 8m units, making it one of the best-selling entries in the franchise.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Where did I say FFXV was a flop? The planned content is getting dropped due to a financial loss. Square Enix knows continued FFXV content is not going to help them recoup their losses, which is why they ceased development and will be focusing on other projects, of which KH3, FF7R, and the Avengers Project are the biggest that we know of. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]If Nomura had continued to be entrenched in the unarguably messy development of this game and then had this happen, it probably would have been detrimental for him. But as things have turned out, it seems like he ended up in the better position. [/FONT][/FONT]

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Just wanna point out the 33 million is clearly due to the costs of setting up the brand new studio (salaries, furniture, technology etc) and them working on proof of concepts that require resources that won’t make anything back from sales. It has nothing to do with any games, nor should it affect any other projects Square Enix has in the pipeline.

Also the DLC was, I believe, being developed by the staff in Business Division 2 that didn’t transfer over to Luminous. The cancellation of those DLCs shouldn’t affect the budget of Luminous.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I was very surprised by this announcement. In a funny way, I was looking forward to compare "leaks" with the real content. That's pretty sad. But at least we're getting an Ardyn animated short and his Episode, which hopefully is at last an hour or two longer than the average Episodes we've gotten.

Also, I'm kinda glad Episode Noctis didn't happen, seeing as how it was rumored to have an alternate ending.

The Dead Skin

like tears in rain.
Awards
this is really sad.

like. unironically sad. i just hope mr. tabata finds greener pastures, this can't possibly have been an easy decision for him to make. or worse - maybe it was an easy decision, and he just sat on it for a while to not humiliate himself.

as neil peart wrote, sadder still to watch it die than never to have known it. :(

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Seriously I returned just briefly on KHI to post a goodbye to FFXV too. I can call it a game that I really enjoyed, with a content smile on my face.
Maybe it's for the better that this huge project slows down and eventually then stops. It's been spreading across a lot of things.

I'm surprised there will be an anime thing related to Episode Ardyn, that is amazing. I look forward to it and to throwing my money at dat Episode Ardyn in March. It's a pity that Lunafreya and Aranea won't get their DLCs, but I'm not crying over it tbh. I love them as I love strong-willed/brave female characters, but in the end, the story has been told, thus I don't get the feeling I'll miss anything too big. Ardyn though, a backstory was hinted at so many times already with each new update, we're lucky that this DLC will be finished and delivered, though I'm not sure what to expect (if Tabata's leave will affect the DLC in a way or not).
Surprised Comrades is getting its own game, I honestly smell a bit of money-milking there, but well, it's something common these days everywhere, and it's not my place to complain, as I don't do multiplayers pmuch.

Ardyn anime episode... I can't wait <3
gimme all dat spicy Ardyn backstory

TheMostRad

I still need to go back and complete FFXV. I picked it up originally b/c it looked like something to stave me off before KH3 (only to fall off the FF wagon when 2.8 came out), though I never pushed past the 2nd Chapter. Now that the project is officially concluding (for better or for worse), maybe now would be a good time to hop back in.

However, I can make no commitments out of that, given that just considering dropping my who-knows-how-many'th playthrough of KH1FM gave me actual pause.

Rael_Oblivion

This is a shame. I don't care what anyone says, I really enjoyed my time with FFXV and I was looking forward to all of these new DLC stories. I loved this world and it's lore and I've enjoyed everything being expanded upon as we went along, and it's been nice getting these characters fleshed out. I know it's been a bumpy and expensive road and I generally don't like the way DLC is taking gaming, but considering XV's history and my kind of attachment to it I've enjoyed the chances it had been getting to give us these things.
Thank you for articulating what I was thinking. I didn't have the chance to see the news until just now, but it's made my day worse already.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Well this was not the type of news I was expecting from the stream. I'm shocked that Tabata has left and am rather bummed that Aranea and Luna's (especially Luna's) episodes have been canceled. At least we're still getting Ardyn's (and we're even getting an anime episode,) but....this whole thing puts a sad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Gah. I was hoping to buy a season pass to get the rest of the DLC and go though it.

But yeah. This is a sad thing. Mind, XV has flaws. Major flaws. I could tell while playing it that it had a tortured development, tho I had a good time. Seems whatever happened, they should of learned from XIV's mess; I hope they recover.

Pokie

People are beyond furious and frustrated though and trust with the company has been broken. Yes Final Fantasy XV was successful in sales, but this game has also done quite a lot of damage. People are understandably mad at Square Enix right now. Kingdom Hearts 3 and the Final Fantasy VII Remake now have to do extra work to try and redeem this mess.

Final Fantasy XV sold well yes, but the game is also left incomplete and broken, people are irritated and annoyed at what the heck Square is doing right now. I wouldn't call that a success. It's left a huge scar on the series.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Seems like a stretch to me to say the game is left incomplete and broken because 3 originally unplanned DLCs aren't being made anymore. Even if the new DLCs were absolutely amazing and breathtaking (their track record suggests they wouldn't be, but anyway...), at the end of the day they are still just ancillary to the main game and story. Like, you can just say the main game is poorly told and badly written. Unless I'm missing something, it really doesn't need phrases like incomplete or broken.

Last edited:
Back