• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XV

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Pokie

Seems like a stretch to me to say the game is left incomplete and broken because 3 originally unplanned DLCs aren't being made anymore. Even if the new DLCs were absolutely amazing and breathtaking (their track record suggests they wouldn't be, but anyway...), at the end of the day they are still just ancillary to the main game and story. Like, you can just say the main game is poorly told and badly written. Unless I'm missing something, it really doesn't need phrases like incomplete or broken.

Got to disagree here, because Luna's story and character development is left unfinished and the story that Tabata/ SE wanted to tell and share is left incomplete. It's not the full game, so it's broken. It would be having FFIX, but with disc 4 missing, for an example.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The FINAL FANTASY XV's writer weren't even that competent to begin with. I'm kinda glad they didn't keep touching Lunafreya beyond the added content from one of the updates to the main game, and the Royal Edition content.

I can't speak for Episode Ardyn, seeing as how I haven't seen any of the trailers.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
What story and character development? If this were a book, no one would say "The novel is incomplete and broken" because a character's backstory or arc was cut short. They would just say "it's badly written". Like, it's okay to just say FFXV was a mediocre game, with severe narrative design flaws. It doesn't need to be spun into like a consumer advocacy type thing by saying it is "incomplete/broken". They had an idea for a story (maybe, i mean who is to say they didn't even come up with something more until they decided to make a dlc), unfortunately it wasn't able to be realized for whatever reason. This is true for virtually every game in existence. That's just the nature of creation. Some things get cut, some get changed, some don't get the chance to be made, and so on. It's not incomplete. It's just not a well told story.

And again, even if Luna's Ep was amazing, it still isn't in the main game, the main story. It's a short story written after the fact.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Some people really need to shut up. And I'm not necessarily talking about people on this forum, but in general all over the internet. We know you dislike this game already. Go away, play and talk about something you like instead and stop raining on our parade. Thank you.

Pokie

What story and character development? If this were a book, no one would say "The novel is incomplete and broken" because a character's backstory or arc was cut short. They would just say "it's badly written".

If Final Fantasy XV was a book series, it would be like JK Rowling releasing Harry Potter 1-6, but then stopping at 7.

Like, it's okay to just say FFXV was a mediocre game, with severe narrative design flaws. It doesn't need to be spun into like a consumer advocacy type thing by saying it is "incomplete/broken".

Not saying that though? Just saying that people are rightfully upset about this news and at SE because they wanted to know more about Luna and the others and see her story be done in full. As said before and above, it would be like JK canceling at the 6th book. SE not bringing out the 4th disc of FFIX.

FFX stopping at Yunalesca etc.

Star Wars stopping at Empire.

Lord of The Rings stopping at the second book.

Mc Donalds only giving you 5 Chicken Nuggets instead of 6.

They had an idea for a story (maybe, i mean who is to say they didn't even come up with something more until they decided to make a dlc), unfortunately it wasn't able to be realized for whatever reason. This is true for virtually every game in existence. That's just the nature of creation. Some things get cut, some get changed, some don't get the chance to be made, and so on. It's not incomplete. It's just not a well told story.

That's not a good excuse for FFXV's development though. Yes, things get cut and things don't get the chance to get made- but then things get added in so things are then complete and make sense. Imagine if Disney did this, they just left deleted scenes out and didn't try and adjust in something new to the story and character can flow. The whole movie would have bigger holes than a slice of cheese.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Angry that there's only a month left to obtain any Comrades related trophies, and I haven't even started playing it yet

I didn't realize this was a thing. Guess it's time for me to get back on Comrades and hope I can wrap up anything I left undone (the entire March update)

Last edited:

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I was shocked when these new DLCs were first announced, honestly. It felt like beating a dead horse to me. So, I'm not too surprised to see these end up cancelled even though it is sad to not get potentially exciting new content. I didn't hate XV but it was definitely a disappointment overall and it's a bit of a relief to see that they're finally letting Versus/XV be done for good. This has been one of the greatest development hells of all time, and now it's finally coming to a true end with the release of Episode Ardyn. I definitely enjoyed XV for what it was even though it wasn't that great, in my opinion. Best of luck to the dev team and to Tabata for making the best of everything and putting his all into this project for all these years.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
If Final Fantasy XV was a book series, it would be like JK Rowling releasing Harry Potter 1-6, but then stopping at 7.
It wouldn't be a book series though. It would be a single book. You keep referring to things like someone just cutting off the ending of a story (book 1-6 but not 7, Discs 3/4 etc). But that isn't applicable to FFXV? The game has an ending. It has a story. The DLC is not the final book in a series, it's not the ending to the story. It's extra content, ancillary. Learning more about Luna isn't secretly the ending to the main story being told in the main game. It's just extra context and info about a character who is a part of that story.

Like, analogy-wise it would be more like if JK Rowling announced she planned on writing a book about what Cedric was doing all of Book 4 but then ultimately cancelled it. The main story still exists on its own, even if you end up not learning as much as you would have liked to about a certain character.

I can understand wanting to know more about certain characters or plot elements and being disappointed by these things being cancelled, but that is not the same as saying the game is broken and incomplete without them. It's just not good.

Personally, I'd be less mad the Luna DLC was cancelled than I'd be mad about the fact that she and her story was shit to begin with. But I digress.

That's not a good excuse for FFXV's development though.
I never said it was a good excuse? This whole time I've maintained that FFXV is a poorly written and designed game. This stuff falls under that. But that doesn't make the game itself broken. It just makes it bad.

But I can see we'll just be going in circles about this, so I'll tap out of this conversation.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

No, it wouldn't. That's a terrible analogy.

It would be like omitting quite a bit of good plot throughout, but still having the basic framework present with a beginning, a middle and an end. Which is exactly what happened with the movies. 4-7 omit a ton of stuff from the books.

Personally, I'd be less mad the Luna DLC was cancelled than I'd be mad about the fact that she and her story was shit to begin with. But I digress.

Sadly, I don't see how a "what if" dream scenario would have helped save her character though. I would have liked a canon episode in which she got to shine and actually do stuff without being a damsel in distress.

It's clear to me that this kind of episode should have been released in place of Comrades in the first place, and then they should just have made one for Ardyn as a pitch for a Complete Edition later down the road.

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Is it a stretch to say that KH is slowly becoming the face of Square Enix? FF has had a deeply troubled recent history, but people go bananas for KH every time.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Is it a stretch to say that KH is slowly becoming the face of Square Enix? FF has had a deeply troubled recent history, but people go bananas for KH every time.

That's because Kingdom Hearts has been consistent with quality, and has an inherently more global appeal with its Disney branding. Sure, some games vary with their degree of quality, but all the Kingdom Hearts games developed by Square Enix were never at fault to the development hell and tonal shifts that Final Fantasy XV suffered from.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Eh, I wouldn't argue that it's been consistent in terms of quality. The two DS games are obvious low points, for example. KH1, KH2, BBS and soon KH3 are the only ones that could be argued to be consistently high quality efforts.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I've been worried that KH is becoming their 'cash cow'. Like, if SE will start relying on it and pushing it too far... gosh it just worries me.

I'm also worried about Nomura being overworked among other things. Obviously, I want SE to be successful, but it seems like they're working their people to the bone and putting too many of their eggs in one basket.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I've been worried that KH is becoming their 'cash cow'. Like, if SE will start relying on it and pushing it too far... gosh it just worries me.

I'm also worried about Nomura being overworked among other things. Obviously, I want SE to be successful, but it seems like they're working their people to the bone and putting too many of their eggs in one basket.
It's already a semi-annual series with a mobile cash grab tie-in. The only thing they could add to this is an MMO with a subscription, but I think people would like that since there have been cries for years about an online multiplayer game.

Max

Staff member
Awards
Got back on Comrades today. The only trophy I'm missing from the base trophy set is 999,999 kw.

I spent 2 hours tonight getting the Beacons of Hope trophy from the March 2018 Comrades trophy list. So now I need all the sigils (which won't be too bad), a level 99 Chocobo, and then the grindy grind for kw continues.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
If anything I'd be more worried about Dragon Quest fading back into obscurity outside of Japan.

Max

Staff member
Awards
Alright, I went ahead and played the Terra Wars quest last night too. And I must say, that was a really fun little quest. There was a good dynamic between Noct and Sarah, it was funny watching them trip over each other in batte at first because they didn't quite have what he had with the boys yet, and I just enjoyed the little story for what it was.

Also, I kept thinking throughout that Sarah's voice actress was doing a fantastic job. Then I saw it was Ashley Burch at the end and I was like oh duh, I love her. I felt dumb for not recognizing her.

Pokie

If anything I'd be more worried about Dragon Quest fading back into obscurity outside of Japan.

Poor Dragon Quest is trying. Though Square Enix did it a huge disservice by realizing Dragon Quest XI the same time as Spiderman and not giving it a chance. Advertising for it was lackluster as well. I can only remember some advertising for it and that was from other journalists on youtube.

If Square wants Dragon Quest to have a chance outside of Japan, they need to give it a chance. ):

Final Fantasy has always had it's up and downs and struggles. Though got to agree with you here.

Max

Staff member
Awards
Poor Dragon Quest is trying. Though Square Enix did it a huge disservice by realizing Dragon Quest XI the same time as Spiderman and not giving it a chance. Advertising for it was lackluster as well. I can only remember some advertising for it and that was from other journalists on youtube.

If Square wants Dragon Quest to have a chance outside of Japan, they need to give it a chance. ):

Final Fantasy has always had it's up and downs and struggles. Though got to agree with you here.

When Dragon Quest XI was releasing, I couldn't watch a YouTube video without seeing a Dragon Quest XI ad. That doesn't mean advertising was great, but I wouldn't call it poor either. It did have a shit release time though with competition.

sephydark

Awards
Yeah, I remember getting a lot of DQXI ads around the time it came out too. I think it's just bad timing since Spiderman completely stole the spotlight right then.

Back