• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Activision Announces New Plans for Call of Duty series, milking now in overdrive

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzuku

Publisher Activision announced today new "strategic plans" for the Call of Duty franchise, announcing a new developer for the shooter franchise and confirming the departure of key Infinity Ward staffers.

Activision announced it will form a "dedicated [Call of Duty] business unit that will bring together its various new brand initiatives with focused, dedicated resources around the world." It plans to expand the Call of Duty brand "with the same focus seen in its Blizzard Entertainment business unit" placing a focus on "high-margin digital online content and further the brand as the leading action entertainment franchise in new geographies, new genres and with new digital business models."

As previously announced, Activision will release a new Call of Duty game from series co-developer Treyarch, responsible for Call of Duty 3 and Call of Duty: World At War, this fall. Developer Infinity Ward is still scheduled to release two downloadable map packs for Modern Warfare 2 this year.

In 2011, Activision will release another new game in the Call of Duty series from an unspecified developer. It also announced plans for another Call of Duty-based title from developer Sledgehammer Games, the recently formed studio lead by Dead Space creative leads Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey. The Sledgehammer-helmed title will "extend the franchise into the action-adventure genre."

The previously mentioned Call of Duty business unit will be led by Philip Earl, who currently runs Activision Publishing's Asia Pacific region. Activision Publishing's Steve Pearce, chief technology officer, and Steve Ackrich, head of production, will lead Infinity Ward on an interim basis. Former studios heads Jason West and Vince Zampella are no longer with Infinity Ward, officially.

"Activision doesn't comment on HR matters related to its studios," said reps when asked for comment about the departures and allegations of insubordination. The two former Infinity Ward heads are said to have butted heads with their publisher creatively over the direction of the Call of Duty franchise.

Activision Publishing also announced that the company is "in discussions with a select number of partners to bring the franchise to Asia, one of the fastest growing regions for online multiplayer games in the world."
Activision's New Plans For Call of Duty Include New Developer, New Genres - Infinity Ward - Kotaku

And another publisher fucks up another series. :sag

SilverJ-17

spams bombs, not posts
Awards
And KH fans thinking Nomura's trying to milk the KH series now. Now, this.. this is what you call milking. Well, I just hope that the KH series never comes to this, but I wouldn't be all too surprised if it ends up being the case with KH as well.

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
anyone shocked?

Activision is the new EA. They also was rumors charging a fee to play CoD, lol

I still don't plan to buy another Activision game again not until Bobby steps down.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
They also fired the president and a few key staff members of Infinity Ward. Rumor has it, it's because tensions arose between IW and Activision because IW wanted to develop other games than Modern Warfare for a while. They didn't want to slave away at a new CoD so early.

Kotick, of course, disagreed.
Man, Activision.

sora4sky

~(x)~Sword Art Online~(x)~
And KH fans thinking Nomura's trying to milk the KH series now. Now, this.. this is what you call milking. Well, I just hope that the KH series never comes to this, but I wouldn't be all too surprised if it ends up being the case with KH as well.

So true...

Also i hope for the same thing but like you said if that happens then no surprises for me.

Tatsu

I wonder which one the wii is going to get. Im hoping for Reflex 2 but most likely something set in the old days.

State

Awards
coming soon:
call of duty:
word at modern warfare

A

Azrael

As long as we get a decent Call of Duty game in Vietnam, I'll be good.

Awards
Well this just blows. They should know by now that if they give IW some leg room they can make some great games. This is why I can't stand publishers sometimes, all they care about is munny.

khphantom97

Website
www.youtube.com
When Medal of Honor: Allied Assualt came out, it was one of the most critically acclaimed FPSs of the time, but the team that worked on it left, and formed Infinity Ward. Now, the same thing is happening to Call of Duty, only its not their choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back