• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Atlantica World in BBS

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
As much as I'd like to see mermaid Aqua Terra little Ariel MX little Ariel, Atlantica controls and PSP tech don't go very well together.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Atlantica wouldn't have been my first choice. I definitely think the Pride Lands would have been a much more interesting prequel area as many have stated.

I also think I would have liked to see more prequel Final Fantasy characters than just Zack, like maybe Auron pre-KH2. And while I love Zack and enjoyed seeing him, if he doesn't show up in another KH game I think I'll be pretty upset. Same with Neku, I have high hopes for a Shibuya world...

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I don't think Shibuya was taken by darkness though, I just think that Joshua used Traverse Town as a world to save them. But yes, I'd love to see more The World Ends With You in KH.

VenTer

Awards
Who thinks Atlantica should've been a playable world in BBS?

It would explain how King Triton knew about Keyblade wielders.

Furthermore, and most importantly, Mermaid Aqua. This in of itself should be the primary reason.

I mean, I know Ariel being a kid or toddler would bring a problem for the story of the world but just make up some crap about Ursula trying to get the Triton or something
Huh, I never thought about this before. It's not clear on how King Triton knows about the keyblade and keyblade wielders. It might happen in KH X Chi because it's still a game and they added two more new worlds. It would be possible to add a new world there as Atlantica.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Huh, I never thought about this before. It's not clear on how King Triton knows about the keyblade and keyblade wielders. It might happen in KH X Chi because it's still a game and they added two more new worlds. It would be possible to add a new world there as Atlantica.

As others have stated, given Chi takes place thousands of years before KH1, I don't know how it would be possible for Triton to be alive at the time, not to mention Chi is just a fairytale retelling of the events.

Gram

Banned
Awards

Chi isn't canon, it's a storybooks take on the actual war. The actual keyblade war in the main games was far more gruesome than lux collection.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I also wondered on why we didn't see Atlantica in BBS but I realized it's not impossible that Triton was just speaking of legends he had heard.

You know, all of this talk of Triton's comments is reminding me of how the Genie mentioned knowing about the Keyblade in KH1 (in a text bubble scene at Aladdin's house). Now there's a strong chance that he could have been around during the Keyblade War (and could show up in Chi later), seeing as how he'd been in the bottle for ten-thousand years. Personally, I wouldn't mind if some light was shed onto this in the future.

Also, if me bringing up the Genie here will derail the thread, feel free to ignore this. LOL.

I actually just played that part of KH1 earlier today and Genie says that he had heard of the Keyhole (not the Keyblade) about 200 years ago. Also not sure if Genie would've impacted the story way back then but you never know. :p

Ventus_

Awards
Though I have not played Birth by Sleep (I don't believe I have ever owned the appropriate console, this was for PSP right?), however upon reading some of the comments here having been lead here by a closed thread in the 1.5 section, I do have some opinions here.

I'm glad it wasn't in BBS and honestly I dont really want to see Atlantica again. In kh1 the controls were frustrating and the layout was easy to get lost in and the atlantica of kh2 is just beyond words on how awful it was. >_<

This statement could have been plucked right out of my thoughts.
In KH1 the areas of the Undersea Gorge look so identical that apart from the triton markers which lead the way to the palace I went around in at least one circle before getting out almost every time I had to pass through it. The up and down swimming was not easy to perform in sync with attacking which is part of what gave me a hard time in the first Ursula battle.
There is also how it took me 3-5 tries to defeat the shark at level 30! I defeated bosses that are far higher in the ranks on the first go such as the Malificant Dragon and the Behemoths (both in Hallow Bastian and End of the World) were cake compared to that damn shark. The shark isn't even a boss battle! I feel like there is something wrong with that!
True the challenge this presents could have been intended to make for interesting gameplay but I feel they took it too far.

One thing I will give it though is that story wise it was the truest to it's film of the worlds at least in KH1, it's been literally years since I played them on the PS2 which was when I last played KH2 so my memory of it is very scarce. I absolutely loved how they had taken some scenes and lines right from the film such as Ursula's line right before the second battle "The sea and all it's spoils bow to my power" and Ariel's grotto with the cut scene of her swimming to the ceiling while she spoke of her dream of traveling. It was very well done in that aspect.

The Atlantica in KH2 is one area in which my memory is hideously clear and the entire thing being singing based was beyond ridiculous to the point where I had asked my friend to get through it for me without even desiring to try it for myself. Though tragically I probably won't have a choice when I get 2.5. I hardly see that friend anymore and he lives quite a bit more than a few streets down from me (which I believe will become slightly farther when I move in June).
Ariel may be a very singing based character but revolving the entire world around it was a huge exaggeration and just pointless. Not to mention the whole idea of taking on Ursula in a singing duel is actually somewhat laughable. What the hell is THAT?

So even without having ever played Birth By Sleep if Atlantica were going to continue going in this downhill direction I am glad it was not included in this game.

Something that recently crossed my mind concerning Atlantica was how Ariel was not used as one of the Princesses of Heart yet Alice who is not actually a princess was. o_O ???

kupo1121 said:
I think the Pride Lands is a missed opportunity similar to Atlantica, there is a lot of potential there but it just wasn't done well. Most of the world was barely filled with any life at all, trees, NPCs, rock structures, nothing, it was pretty barren and not at all colorful like the world was shown in the actual movie. They could do so much more with it if they went back and added more life to it in general. I know KH has always suffered from a lack of NPCs, but I think (besides OC), Pride Lands was a big point showing how lonely it made a world feel.

I'll agree that The Lion King being one of the Disney films closest to my heart (no irony intended haha) I too had felt that The Pride Lands in KH2 had not reached it's full potential. I recall what is mentioned here that it was almost lifeless and in addition it consisted of very few sections and was also a short lived process if memory serves. My biggest disappointment however as a Scar/Hyena fan was how he was not used either as the final boss of his world nor as a player in the Villains circle. I think he had a lot of potential that they didn't even attempt to reach.

Last edited:

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
Ariel may be a very singing based character but revolving the entire world around it was a huge exaggeration and just pointless. Not to mention the whole idea of taking on Ursula in a singing duel is actually somewhat laughable. What the hell is THAT?

Something that recently crossed my mind concerning Atlantica was how Ariel was not used as one of the Princesses of Heart yet Alice who is not actually a princess was. o_O ???

I'll agree that The Lion King being one of the Disney films closest to my heart (no irony intended haha) I too had felt that The Pride Lands in KH2 had not reached it's full potential. I recall what is mentioned here that it was almost lifeless and in addition it consisted of very few sections and was also a short lived process if memory serves. My biggest disappointment however as a Scar/Hyena fan was how he was not used either as the final boss of his world nor as a player in the Villains circle. I think he had a lot of potential that they didn't even attempt to reach.

I honestly wouldn't have minded if they had had one or two songs for the world (like Under the Sea) but having that be the ONLY thing you can do in the world is what made it a mistake.

I thought the same thing about Ariel not being a Princess of Heart but if she had how would they have kept her alive? Filled the chamber she was in with water? And what about when they released her? They wouldn't have been able to get her back to Atlantica fast enough. :p

I know everyone wanted a more colorful Pride Lands but the part of the movie that the game took place in looked like that in the movie. We got some color where Timon and Pumbaa live anyway. The lack of NPC's and Scar's lack of overall role was disappointing but I didn't have a problem with how it looked.

KeybladeGuy

Awards
It would've been interesting, so long as it didn't take the place of a new world to the game or a revamped world (Looking at YOU Neverland).

Mermaid Aqua would've been cool.

The story? Could've been about Ursula and Triton's past, as well as how Triton knows of keyblade wielders.

That said, I believe it was most likely not considered for two reasons:
A - After the awful segment of Atlantica in KH2, fans probably had enough.
B - Hardward limitations of the PSP - it might be difficult to do an underwater world, with a new control scheme, and still be able to fit all the other worlds properly and fully.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
That said, I believe it was most likely not considered for two reasons:
A - After the awful segment of Atlantica in KH2, fans probably had enough.
B - Hardward limitations of the PSP - it might be difficult to do an underwater world, with a new control scheme, and still be able to fit all the other worlds properly and fully.

A- Yeah they probably wanted to take a break from it so we can calm down. xD They might bring it back in the future to do the sequel's story.
B-I agree with this. Some of the fighting mechanics were already a little difficult to pull off on the PSP so fighting underwater probably would've made it even more difficult.

Ventus_

Awards
I honestly wouldn't have minded if they had had one or two songs for the world (like Under the Sea) but having that be the ONLY thing you can do in the world is what made it a mistake.

True ONE singing mini game would have been unique and interesting it was basing the entire world around it that was horrible.

I thought the same thing about Ariel not being a Princess of Heart but if she had how would they have kept her alive? Filled the chamber she was in with water? And what about when they released her? They wouldn't have been able to get her back to Atlantica fast enough. :p

Mermaids can breathe out of water and we see Ariel do so several times in the film. When she visits Scuttle and peeks on board the ship where Eric's birthday bash is taking place and yes why not keep her in a tank of water? Or even more interesting change her fin to legs. Ursula knows how to do that it was she who did it in the film.

I know everyone wanted a more colorful Pride Lands but the part of the movie that the game took place in looked like that in the movie. We got some color where Timon and Pumbaa live anyway. The lack of NPC's and Scar's lack of overall role was disappointing but I didn't have a problem with how it looked.

It's appearance was fine indeed, like you said it was it's lack of NPCs and Scar that was disappointing.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I'm looking at all of these posts, and I must say that I feel that a lot of people are saying what I feel as well. I would have liked to have seen how the Birth by Sleep trio affected how Triton viewed Keyblade wielders or show how he became familiar with the legends in the first place. Pride Lands would have been an interesting world to go to see for ourselves what happened over the course of the first half of the movie as well as to have more screentime for Scar (and perhaps to hear "Be Prepared"). That being said, I can see why they didn't bring either world in thanks to limitations on the PSP. It's a shame, too, because was no other Disney world that properly gave that prequel feel other than Olympus Colosseum with young Herc and Zack.

Come to think of it, both worlds could have been used for fanservice purposes as well. Merpeople versions of the trio? Lion versions as well?

FangirlfromHell

Awards
Who thinks Atlantica should've been a playable world in BBS?

It would explain how King Triton knew about Keyblade wielders.

Furthermore, and most importantly, Mermaid Aqua. This in of itself should be the primary reason.

I'd rather have Merprson every key character who isn't MX. That's just me. What's bad is that your thread instant made me imagine them getting dragged into Sebastian's musical. It makes me laugh so much at the idea of Aqua being the one that is tone deaf while Ven is a little canary.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I do wish this world had been in Birth by Sleep. Besides how awesome it would be seeing Aqua/Terra/Ventus as merfolk (shirtless Terra...!), I would've loved to see them interact with Triton, child Ariel, and Ursula. Perhaps Terra helps Ursula in some way (perhaps kidnapping Ariel or one of the other daughters as bait?) after she plays the pity-me-a-poor-old-woman-picked-on-by-an-evil-king act and that's why Triton hates Keyblade wielders. Maybe they could've even taken a bit from the prequel film (which overall I don't like, but...), and had Terra/Aqua/Ventus accidentally involved in the death of Ariel's mother, Athena. Perhaps an Ursula D-Link with Terra and a Triton D-Link with Aqua. I love TLM, and I think this was an opportunity to redeem the world after what they did to it in KH2.

I wish they had had this instead of Deep Space, which really doesn't fit in BbS, imo. I mean, the time between Stitch escaping and ending up on Hawaii isn't 10-12 years, so now they'll have to have a big asterisk next to the world whenever they do it now. I also wish Disney Town had shown how/why Pete was banished; it seems pretty pointless as-is. I think a trifecta of Atlantica/Coliseum/NeverLand would've been awesome.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
I wish they had had this instead of Deep Space, which really doesn't fit in BbS, imo. I mean, the time between Stitch escaping and ending up on Hawaii isn't 10-12 years, so now they'll have to have a big asterisk next to the world whenever they do it now. I also wish Disney Town had shown how/why Pete was banished; it seems pretty pointless as-is. I think a trifecta of Atlantica/Coliseum/NeverLand would've been awesome.

I do not think Stitch ended up on Hawaii as we see him in Radiant Garden during Kingdom Hearts II. I think he was actually planet hopping as we have not yet had Lilo involved in the franchise. I'd rather have had Atlantica than the Colliseum though. The Colliseum throws me off because it brings up "What ever happens to Zack".

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I do not think Stitch ended up on Hawaii as we see him in Radiant Garden during Kingdom Hearts II. I think he was actually planet hopping as we have not yet had Lilo involved in the franchise. I'd rather have had Atlantica than the Colliseum though. The Colliseum throws me off because it brings up "What ever happens to Zack".

And yet when we meet Stitch in Kingdom Hearts II he's going by Stitch, which is what Lilo named him, his Summon Charm is a ukelele and his summon animation takes place in Hawaii. And Zack probably died or at least had a really bad run-in with Sephiroth.

*Also I still think Atlantica in BBS was a bad idea and I'm glad they didn't do it. Atlantica has always received complaints every time it's been in the series, and it had even less material to work with for a prequel. It's not worth it to shoehorn in some magic explanation as to why Triton knows about Keyblades.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
And yet when we meet Stitch in Kingdom Hearts II he's going by Stitch, which is what Lilo named him, his Summon Charm is a ukelele and his summon animation takes place in Hawaii. And Zack probably died or at least had a really bad run-in with Sephiroth.

*Also I still think Atlantica in BBS was a bad idea and I'm glad they didn't do it. Atlantica has always received complaints every time it's been in the series, and it had even less material to work with for a prequel. It's not worth it to shoehorn in some magic explanation as to why Triton knows about Keyblades.
I see your point. I actually forgot about the Hawaii summon sequence. It's been years since I touched KH2, I replay BBS much more often. I do see your point and thank you for pointing it out. I have a short attention span on some things.

I will finally relent, Atlantica would actually be a bad idea. I may however go draw merpeople version of the Wayfinder Trio now just to make myself happy. Should I share such a drawing in the art section of the forums do you think?

kh13

I think it would be a little too hard to play on a psp version. but the idea of them being merfolk is a pretty cool idea.
i feel like aqua would have been the best out of the three though xD

BlueKey777

Banned
I think it would be a little too hard to play on a psp version. but the idea of them being merfolk is a pretty cool idea.
i feel like aqua would have been the best out of the three though xD
The controls for atlantica were awkward enough in KH1 so I would agree. The controls wouldn't work well at all with a psp. Im hoping for atlantica to redeem its self from KH2 by being a full scale world like it was in KH1 but with better controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back