• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Comics ► Comic Books & Graphic Novels

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
I got The Multiversity graphic novel on Friday, and it was a great read. Crisis on Infinite Earths has been my favorite big DC event comic for a while now, and Multiversity feels like a modern version of that. I love the way it tries to mess with your mind as you read it, and it's doing it by you just reading a comic.

Pax Americana is probably the single-best issue of Multiversity. Having Morrison and Quitely back together for an issue was great; but holy cow, I can only imagine how long it must have taken to put that book together. There's the clear (and somewhat ironic) homage to Watchmen, figuring out the order of events and how the Gentry was even involved, all the symbolism and more. There's a particular two-page spread that's really cool to look at.
A personal favorite would have to be Thunderworld. I really love seeing some good Captain Marvel family adventures.

I'm glad there'll be more to come with Multiversity Too in the future, because I definitely want to read more of this series. And I really hope that there's even more Captain Carrot in the future. Love that guy.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Did anyone pick up Dark Knight III?

I bought three copies: the standard copy, the black and white Greg Capullo variant, and the colored Greg Capullo variant.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
DC's Rebirth Will See Comics Line Restart at #1 - IGN

And there ya go, DC's next relaunch. So, DC is essentially keeping the New52 continuity, but working back in a bunch of pre-New52 stuff without erasing anything. I guess it's kinda like Green Lantern Rebirth or The Flash Rebirth stories, except for everyone?

• Geoff Johns will write an 80 page DC Universe: Rebirth standalone comic.
  • Their titles will renumber with new #1's.
  • But Action and Detective Comics will go back to their old numbering (those 1,000th issues will come in a few years).
  • There will be Rebirth specials staggered throughout the year.
  • Some titles will start shipping twice monthly.

I pretty much got one big gripe with all of this, and that's diddly the decision to make Dick Nightwing again. Eff that until the cows come home. Grayson has been one of his best series since Grant Morrison's Batman & Robin days, and they're going to regress him back to being Batman-lite. Hate it.

As for the rest of it: out of the gate I'm not super confident in DC being able to put out so many bi-weekly titles and keeping the quality up. Mainly that DC has struggled a lot on the art side of things, because even on their monthly schedule they still have problems with terrible fill-in art.

Last edited:

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards
Where the blitzball is my Midnighter/Gotham Academy/We Are Robin shit? Are those getting discontinued, or not restarting and just continuing?

Because I'll be lowkey bummed if it's the former.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
while i guess the CW shows need a way to fit "rebirth" in places it doesnt belong

Lonbilly

Awards
I'm reeaaaaaallllyyyyy holding out hope here that is means nothing bad is happening to my "lesser" titles that I've become invested in.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Where the blitzball is my Midnighter/Gotham Academy/We Are Robin shit? Are those getting discontinued, or not restarting and just continuing?

Because I'll be lowkey bummed if it's the former.

No sign on Midnighter or We Are Robin, but Gotham Academy will continue with Gotham Academy: The Next Semester. So there's that at least. No Midnighter though is pretty cruddy.

Lonbilly

Awards
No sign on Midnighter or We Are Robin, but Gotham Academy will continue with Gotham Academy: The Next Semester. So there's that at least. No Midnighter though is pretty cruddy.

At least Gotham Academy is safe.

I guess I can find solace in there being Blue Beetle again. Even if it isn't my main Jaime, I'm still game. Maybe they could finally do another Starman with Jack Knight run or even a Starwoman run or a Stars run or something with the Stars DC pls it's been years

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
So, I had heard for a while about this comic series that was supposed to be really good. It's called Atomic Robo. After hearing about this supposedly great series for a while now I finally decided to give it a try. Now one weekend and three volumes later I can say that I now, currently, and forever ago in the past before I even heard about it, love, have loved, and will always love Atomic Robo. (My love of this series transcends the standard conventions of time and space.)

It's such a fun and funny series that I can't say enough good things about it; it's my favorite thing to read right now. It's about a robot built by Tesla having adventures in different eras from the 1920's to the present day, and it's really charming and action packed and a bunch of other stuff.

Favorite story thus far has to be when Robo goes on a mission to Mars, and there's stuff with Stephen Hawking, and an ending that made me laugh out loud so long my family throught I was crazy.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
WonderCon: DC Reveals Creative Teams for Rebirth Comics - IGN

There's some post-Rebirth stuff that looks interesting to me:

• Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz getting more spotlight in the JL and GL titles.
  • Tom King writing Batman should be really good.
  • Hey, Batwoman is in Detective Comics. That's just as good as her own title... right Taochan?
  • Scott Snyder freaking writing All-Star Batman? Heck yeah.
  • Gene Yang doing some kind of Chinese Superman story.
  • Francis Manapul on Trinity
  • Tomasi and Gleason teaming up again for Superman.
  • Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott on Wonder Woman

Still not a fan of Dick being Nightwing again, but.... dang it, if Seeley's writing then I'm in. Hopefully Damian being on the cover means he'll be featured a lot too, because I'm pretty sure Teen Titans is where you shove Robins off when you don't want to do anything with them (looking at you New52 Tim Drake). And Super Sons will be Damian teaming up with pre-New52 Clark and Lois's son? I think?

Lonbilly

Awards
Oh hey look still no We Are Robin and Midnighter thanks DC for killing my favorite series tbh

Will definitely be checking out Blue Beetle, Batman Beyond, Teen Titans, New Super-Man, Green Lanterns and Detective Comics. Especially since is that Stephanie and Batwoman in a comic together?

Have they retconned Wondy being a demigod yet?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Mite said:
[*]Hey, Batwoman is in Detective Comics. That's just as good as her own title... right Taochan?

I mean... IT'S NOT THE SAME... but, fuck maybe I have to buy this.

Have they retconned Wondy being a demigod yet?
Have they?????

Also I really like that artwork for The Flash.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
did i fucking hear that they're revealing joker's identity in the comics? what is this, the zack snyder effect?

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Here's the full June Rebirth Solicitations.

Hey, Teen Titans: Earth 1 vol. 2 comes out. I was wondering when that'd come out. =D

did i diddlying hear that they're revealing joker's identity in the comics? what is this, the zack snyder effect?

I guess the are??? They teased in JL early in the current arc that Batman found out Joker's identity, but the audience hasn't been made aware yet.

Lonbilly

Awards
Has anyone else started Superman: American Alien? Because I finally got around to reading the first issue, and omg, am I loving this.

AuroraX

Awards
Figured I'd pop on in here, because why not.
Well I've read comics off and on throughout my whole life, but never really been able to read them on a regular basis. I read a lot of comedy/slice of life comics like Get Fuzzy, 4-Panel, Awkward Yeti, and Sarah's Scribbles (those are the main ones that come to mind). When I get the chance I like reading various web comics. So far I've been keeping up to date with The Black Bull pf Norroway and The Lost Nightmare. As for superhero comics, I've mostly read Spiderman and X-Men. Some Avengers ones and a few Batman. I've enjoyed reading books with comics in them (not sure what those are called haha), the most recent one I've read was Malice. I also recently got to read the Avatar the Last Airbender comics The Promise and The Search and oh my gosh the art was AMAZING. There was something so cool about it. I'm planning on reading the Captain America Civil War comic soon. I also have a friend who does comics and we're working on one together.
Anyway, looking forward to discussing comics and such.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
Well, there has been only 2 graphic novel series I've read so far. There is The Maximum Ride series and The Amulet series. If no one on here has read them, you NEED to. Both series are awesome! xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back