• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Drakengard 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I've had just about enough of Square Enix treating Europe like dirt in recent years. Seriously, what's up with all these beautiful collector's editions that North America is getting, meanwhile we either only get a standard edition or a digital only release.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think my favorite casting choice is probably Tara Platt as Zero. Although now that I realize it's her, I can't unhear Mitsuru ):

I also really like JYB as Dito (provided he can give us a Gideon-level performance we're pretty much set) and Octa's VA, though unfortunately I don't know his name.

Dito is Yuri Lowenthal lol

Octa's is...I know the voice. I can't pin the name, either. I want to say Steve Staley...

Roronoa Zoro

Always on the lookout for aliens
Don't really see why you should care but I might b
Dub doesn't sound as good as jap but it's not bad. The novella is reveals the backstory on the characters that you guys were talking about before the game came out, right?

Anyway I'm glad that this is coming out so soon. I was afraid we'd have to wait till winter. This way I'll only have a month to wait after beating dark souls 2. Honestly this is just a great year for gaming.

EDIT: Oh btw the boxart for the standard NA version is way better than the boxart for the collector's edition, which is the same as the jap boxart.

D3_PS3_FoB_2D_RP_220.jpg

There's really no point in spending over 80 bucks for a collector's edition that gives the crap boxart, only has one dlc worth worrying about (where you play as one) which will probably be available for download when the game comes out, a poster, the soundtrack that you can listen to on youtube, and stuff you can read online. Standard edition ftw.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Dub doesn't sound as good as jap but it's not bad. The novella is reveals the backstory on the characters that you guys were talking about before the game came out, right?

Anyway I'm glad that this is coming out so soon. I was afraid we'd have to wait till winter. This way I'll only have a month to wait after beating dark souls 2. Honestly this is just a great year for gaming.

EDIT: Oh btw the boxart for the standard NA version is way better than the boxart for the collector's edition, which is the same as the jap boxart.

D3_PS3_FoB_2D_RP_220.jpg

There's really no point in spending over 80 bucks for a collector's edition that gives the crap boxart, only has one dlc worth worrying about (where you play as one) which will probably be available for download when the game comes out, a poster, the soundtrack that you can listen to on youtube, and stuff you can read online. Standard edition ftw.

What. This is sexy. It's Zero's lace lol

81Pp9sYJ0GL._AA1500_.jpg

The language DLC is pre-order only and won't come out anywhere after. The novels will be officially translated so it won't be as confusing as the fan translations were (because they were) + includes special illustrations by Kimihiko Fujisaka. The soundtrack sampler probably cuts out the fat (i.e. the average field tracks based on old Drakengard music) and will have the good stuff which is good for those who like OSTs but don't want to pay to import. There are a bunch of other DLC bonuses to be announced which will probably be passes to the DLC NieR music & other costumes (Furiae, young!Nier, etc.), and personally as a fan of the Japanese dub and the franchise as a whole, it's worth it.

No need to slam it just because you don't want to pay for it lol

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
You literally just listed all of the things that make the price justifiable. Also, the cover for the Collector's Edition is much nicer. It's simplistic and timeless.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I understand the price, just not the people paying it.
How? If we bitch at companies to localize obscure games and then they take the risk by doing it, as well as offer an amazing Collector's Edition... of course people will want to actually show support and pay for it. You obviously do not have to buy the CE but there is definitely enough in there to justify the price.

Silh

Slippery People
Awards
Oh, what horseshit. I placed a pre-order for the limited edition and they charge my card immediately. No, Digital River, I wanted you to charge me in May just like your policy says.

Thankfully I was able to get my money back right away, but it looks like I won't be able to get the limited edition. diddly Digital River.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh, what horseshit. I placed a pre-order for the limited edition and they charge my card immediately. No, Digital River, I wanted you to charge me in May just like your policy says.

Thankfully I was able to get my money back right away, but it looks like I won't be able to get the limited edition. diddly Digital River.

Digital River does a one time hold on the money to verify you can pay for the item then they cancel the charge which is shady as fuck. It's bullshit but they do it for everything.

(can you complain to SE Customer Service please a bunch of us are trying to get SE to ditch DR so any vote helps)

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
i'd totally buy the collector's edition if i had the money. totally worth it imho, and i want to show SE that I care about this series and the creative talent making it. Drakengard will always be a niche franchise but if more people find out about it and show more support we may eventually get better games with more budgets or just enough faith that it'll sell well to hand it to a developer that's actually good at developing action games :v

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't understand why they just don't have an in-house team develop it. I know they are rather understaffed as it is, but they could have a ragtag team of SE staff that have worked on the few action games at SE build the gameplay framework and outsource the model & texture building to whoever they choose.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Ugh. You can only buy the game through the Square Enix store right?

Their pre-order incentive program is such bullshit. I HATE when companies try to force something on me. I haven't played Nier. I understand the importance of supporting a game like this, but I don't know if the game will be any good. I want to wait until launch to see how the game fares out, but I'll miss out on the DLC (which wouldn't matter if the fucking Japanese VA wasn't part of it).

I'll probably fork over the cash sometime before March 3rd. At least the game is only $50 :/

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
At least you're getting a physical copy. And Japanese voices, if you pre-order. We get neither here in Europe. Just like we're not getting Collector's Editions of Lightning Returns or X/X-2 HD Remaster either.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
At least you're getting a physical copy. And Japanese voices, if you pre-order. We get neither here in Europe. Just like we're not getting Collector's Editions of Lightning Returns or X/X-2 HD Remaster either.

If you feel this is a huge problem, go complain to Square Enix because complaining here won't fix the problem.

The situation both regions are in is not favorable to anybody. NA fans have to pay an overpriced fee to a shitty service and only hope they get a game. If things go bad, this could easily become a shitstorm like Ni No Kuni was.

EU/PAL fans have to go digital, and while it is not ideal I think at least you guys are lucky to know that you'll be getting the game from a secure service.

And honestly, Drakengard is such a niche game that you must think about what it would cost for them to secure all of those things for EU/PAL and what kind of payback they'd be getting. Besides paying the import fees and printing fees for a game, there is also a matter of having to ask every single Japanese voice actor for permission to use their voice, pay them royalties along with the English voices, and from what I'm aware licensing Japanese voices is a really time-consuming, expensive affair in general. The decisions SE America make cannot apply to SE Europe and as dumb as it is for a global company to not really have the "global" part down, what does anybody REALLY expect from Square Enix these days?

I'm near certain North America has spent more on Drakengard 3 than they were planning, and whatever profit they recoup will be small. IF SE Europe has made their final decision already, then I'm sure they reasoned that the costs were just too much and they would do better concentrating on other things.

I'm not trying to make excuses for them because I'm always ready to get pissed at Square Enix over whatever confusing decision they've made, but we're talking about Drakengard. They probably have no confidence in this game selling, so to minimize costs in other countries they clearly decided digital was the best route.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
So, fun fact! Yoko Taro requested the same localization team that did NieR so we have hit the goldmine.

Oh my god all my faith has been restored this is everything I ever wanted

It's nice to know that Taro cares about the quality of the localization of his games. The guy may be batshit insane, but he's a class act all the same.

EDIT: This isn't exactly news but there's a lot of people in the GAF thread saying that fans of the series have given the game negative reviews, citing that there's a lack of development for most characters outside of zero and mikhail and the game is a mess on a technical level.

This isn't really a surprise considering those same complaints could pretty much be leveled at D1 as well (that and people complaining about the dragon sections being downsized, considering i've heard from multiple sources that the controls were for them were pretty terrible), but I think it might be wise to expect more of a fascinating spectacle like D1 than the emotional rollercoaster NieR was with its incredibly sympathetic and fleshed out cast.

Roronoa Zoro

Always on the lookout for aliens
Don't really see why you should care but I might b
I was searching online and a guy said it took him about 50 hours to get to the final boss, and he did pretty much all the sidequests and found all the treasures. I'm assuming that didn't include getting include getting all the endings. As someone who's always concerned with game length I'm pretty happy.

Back