• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Please don't troll this. Is Kingdom Hearts 2 the best game so far?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Please dont troll this. Is kingdom hearts 2 the best game so far?

KH2 is NOT the best game in the series. It's a good game, but not the best. (IMO, I think that goes to Birth by Sleep or KH1)

KH2 is one of my least favorite games in the series, but that's not saying much 'cause I really like all of them lulz. (...'cept chain of memories. the story couldn't make up for the gameplay ;A; //sob) The main reason why I don't like KH2 is because of the story. The writing is just terrible and they made Sora look like an idiot. There ARE some good points to the story, but the writing is just... bad.

That being said, I'm VERY excited for KH2FM because of all of the bonus content, especially the cutscenes. I got the chance to play most of it before, but I wasn't able to finish it, so I'm excited for the chance to actually play through the whole thing this time. Plus, Lingering Will boss fight!! :D

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Re: Please dont troll this. Is kingdom hearts 2 the best game so far?

I enjoyed KHII, but...it's definitely the worst in the series for all the reasons already given by everyone else. Insultingly easy gameplay and a poorly paced/written story.
The story, it had nice bits here and there but that's all they were. Just bits. And sometimes it felt like I was only watching small clips of a much longer scene.
All the other games kept the story fairly simple and focused, especially CoM and Re:Coded (your mileage may very on how simple DDD is, but it kept things focused anyway *laughs*) and Re:Coded has the best character development in the series so far. And even though I've some issues with CoM/Re:CoM and Days' gameplay, the story in each pulled it's weight and made me want to keep playing to see the next cutscene (and Days had more Demyx.)
KHII's gameplay was just hit X to win, while the others have some thinking involved and Re:Coded has great, varied gameplay that kept things fresh, and DDD is the hardest while still being fare.

But, while I do consider KHII the worst in the series, I'm excited for KHII Final Mix.

Some guy

I'm one of the few around here that thinks KH II is one of the better games in the series (ccccccombo breaker!).
Imo, if you don't consider DDD (as I haven't played it) the best games are:

Overall: KH II (because of reasons I already gave .... somewhere on the forum, I'd put a link if only I knew how :( ... or cared), BBS is a close second.

Gameplay-wise: Re:coded, every world felt fresh and most of the mechanics were fun. CoM however had the best battle mechanics, but it became really boring really fast. I had the most fun with KH II (and subsequently KH II FM) though ...

Story-wise: BBS, the fact that I cared for the trio's fate made me realize how much I loved the story (and seeing things from a different perspective each time was great).

Character development-wise: Days, even if I hated the game, the relationships, motives, etc. were well done. BBS' trio was fleshed out really well too. Riku's arc as a whole (more so in DDD) is also really engaging.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Practically everyone already mentioned my biggest gripes with the game, so I'll keep this Simple and Clean (hurr hurr):

Kingdom Hearts II is by no means the worst game in existence, but it is, for me, the worst game that I have played thus far. Bear in mind that as of right now, I still have yet to play Days, Re:coded, Dream Drop Distance and Chi so I can't really put forth an opinion on those games, but overall, I felt that II was the weakest. The overcomplicated plot, the outright horrible integration of both the Disney and Final Fantasy characters sans a few from each, worst voice direction in the series etc.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
Let's see, I still very much enjoy KH2. It's in my top 3 KH games. After playing KH 1.5 I've definitely locked down KH1 as my #1 favorite KH game. The three playthroughs required for the trophies has pushed my total KH1 playthroughs over 10 but I still find myself enjoying the gameplay and story every time. While KH2 does have its weaknesses I still enjoy the gameplay and characters, and who knows after I finally get the chance to play KH2FM in 2.5 it may make its way back into the #1 spot.

5glitchers5

Awards
In my opinion after playing all of them yes i like kingdom hearts 2 but kingdom hearts 2.5 will be my favorite after i play it.

• Nah NOTHING can, or does beat originals unless it's Sonic the Hedgehog 2. :) Then again this is just an opinion, but there are a few reasons I want to disagree with this ....
  • In terms of gamplay, KH 2 like they said was nothing, but button mashing and pressing the triangle button to win. Although KH 2 FM's Critical Mode DID fix this issue.
  • The worlds in the game unless the first were not so relevant to the story line (except Beast's Castle, and Space Paranoids) as they were in KH 1. Disney worlds at this point became mostly filler.
  • The worlds felt empty as for some reason KH 1 worlds and their sounds-effects gave the worlds and the game an "atmosphere".
  • Revisiting KH 1 worlds was fun due to all of the puzzles, mini-games, secret bosses, etc. It feels dead in KH 2, especially the pride lands.
  • Nobodies weren't necessary enemies because in KH 1 Heartless were beings that lost their hearts to darkness and they were "what's left" of the body after it lost it's heart to darkness. Look at End of the World, it's a "Heartless world" and it's made of "remnants" of the world. The story could've went fine without it.
  • Unnecessary plot twists such as Ansem is really Xehanort, etc.
  • Sora is no longer the chosen one as now a few different people can wiled the keyblade, and the secret ending revealed on how thousands could wield so. Also the KH 1 Secret Ending wasn't in KH Japan. :)
  • Bad voice acting, I mean they replaced Billy Zane, and Mandy Moore, how could they?
  • KH 2 is ultimately what decided the series fate as Normura wanted to give KH a more complex story like final fantasy, but it worked best on them giving it a Disney like story, they should've kept that. And for me the worst in the series is KH 3D as that's when things get waaay to crazy!

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
  • Sora is no longer the chosen one as now a few different people can wiled the keyblade, and the secret ending revealed on how thousands could wield so. Also the KH 1 Secret Ending wasn't in KH Japan. :)

To be fair, KH1 had already established that Sora wasn't the chosen one. Riku was. We had Riku, Sora, and Mickey all wielding Keyblades throughout the game, not to mention the secret endings where we had two "new" characters also wielding. That brings us to five. And if we add how Triton talked about past wielders, as well as Genie referencing hearing about the Keyblade/Keyhole long ago. And then, we did also have Rikunort with the Keyblade of Princesses' Hearts as well.

Now, I'm all for the "KH2 is not the best" bandwagon, because I do agree (however, that in itself is an opinion, seeing as how it can be people's favorites) but I do think that the criticism about this game taking away Sora's "special uniqueness" is completely offbase.

5glitchers5

Awards
To be fair, KH1 had already established that Sora wasn't the chosen one. Riku was. We had Riku, Sora, and Mickey all wielding Keyblades throughout the game, not to mention the secret endings where we had two "new" characters also wielding. That brings us to five. And if we add how Triton talked about past wielders, as well as Genie referencing hearing about the Keyblade/Keyhole long ago. And then, we did also have Rikunort with the Keyblade of Princesses' Hearts as well.

Now, I'm all for the "KH2 is not the best" bandwagon, because I do agree (however, that in itself is an opinion, seeing as how it can be people's favorites) but I do think that the criticism about this game taking away Sora's "special uniqueness" is completely offbase.

KH 2 wasn't as bad as some games that followed it, but yes KH BBS > KH 2. Every game is > KH 3D. It's just my opinion, and I liked Re: Coded because of the system sectors, and their music lol.

Veritas7340

For best game of the series for me, it is a huge battle between KHI and BBS

When I was younger (12 or 13 or so), KHII was my favorite. However, the story and difficulty do not measure up to the aforementioned games.

BBS has the best gameplay (haven't played DDD) and has a powerful story.

KHI is perhaps one of the most special games out there. The Disney worlds were never as good as in this game. In KHI, it feels the most natural and nostalgic while at the same time, the game manages to take these childhood movies and have them appear more "grown-up" in staving off the Heartless invasion.

Lonbilly

Awards
KH 2 wasn't as bad as some games that followed it, but yes KH BBS > KH 2. Every game is > KH 3D. It's just my opinion, and I liked Re: Coded because of the system sectors, and their music lol.

Oh, I was more addressing you talking about Sora being the "chosen one", not so much rankings.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I agree. I do acknowledge and feel that keyblades are far from "special" feeling anymore since nearly every main character has one but it's been a fact since KH1 and it's ultimania/interviews that Sora wasn't the first, the last or even the only wielder in KH1.
Sora himself was an accident even, the kingdom key was meant for Riku. (as was Mickey's, aka the "voice", messages)

But like I said I do feel the keyblade offered some for of uniqueness to him, not because he was the only one period, but because it was his thing and everyone else had their own. I think the keyblade has gotten to "mainstream" among the core cast.
Everyone felt so much more....standout before. Sora & Mickey had the keyblade, Riku had his unique mixture of light & dark powers, D&G shield and magic, Yen Sid being someone that actually retired from the keyblade, etc.

Lonbilly

Awards
I agree. I do acknowledge and feel that keyblades are far from "special" feeling anymore since nearly every main character has one but it's been a fact since KH1 and it's ultimania/interviews that Sora wasn't the first, the last or even the only wielder in KH1.
Sora himself was an accident even, the kingdom key was meant for Riku. (as was Mickey's, aka the "voice", messages)

But like I said I do feel the keyblade offered some for of uniqueness to him, not because he was the only one period, but because it was his thing and everyone else had their own. I think the keyblade has gotten to "mainstream" among the core cast.
Everyone felt so much more....standout before. Sora & Mickey had the keyblade, Riku had his unique mixture of light & dark powers, D&G shield and magic, Yen Sid being someone that actually retired from the keyblade, etc.

This is completely on point. While it makes sense for certain characters other than Sora and Mickey, such as Riku (since he could but lost it), TAV (who were the stars of their game so of course), and Xehanort (our Big Bad), other characters getting it feels like anyone who is important has to have it.

Like Lea and Kairi. Now sure, KH2 established Kairi and it's been nearly over 8 years since, but she has a lot more potential to just be relegated to another wielder (and even then, that may not be developed as well as it should). And Lea didn't even really need a Keyblade. While I have to accept that there is no changing that now, them getting Keyblades kind of felt like it was taking away opportunities for the characters. Not everyone with a strong heart needs one. I'm sure Donald and Goofy could also wield, but that doesn't mean they should. Variety is where it's at.

And while it might have been cool to see Xion and Roxas also use something.more unique, it makes sense since they started out as clones.

I just hope the next saga focuses more on other things than the Keyblade. It's great, but not everyone needs one, and I'm hoping the true Org. in KH3 will all be using their signature weapons and not be getting handed Keyblades just because Xehanort has decided to clone himself.

Kevin Perez

I don't think KHII is as polarizing as people make out to be judging by the "mixed reception" here :tongue: I would imagine it was far more polarizing back when it first came out.

I'm one of those weirdos who prefers KHII over the original. Yeah, the story isn't as "in-depth", dark, serious compared to the original and there are many elements, like the cast, that feel severely downgraded but I had far more fun playing this game. I also liked Sora's interaction with the Disney characters more so than the original, you know, ACTUALLY establishing bonds with them. It also has Beast's Castle, a world based on my favorite Disney movie. Come to think of it, I really don't care much for the storyline as much as I do the gameplay in this game.

:wink:

Sdog

Awards
KH2's magic bar was so dumb...

That I will definitely agree with, didn't combine as well with 'Berserk' as some would think. Because to defeat a boss in KH2 you had to 'finish' the combo or cast a magic spell., 'Berserk' is a never ending combo...

I had gotten Sephiroth to no health, had no potions, and had recently healed myself. I had to wait for my magic bar to replenish while avoiding all of his hits before I could actually finish him.

Really hope that feature doesn't return....

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I'm really surprised at all of the people here praising Re: Coded. I loved Coded, but for the longest time I felt like I was in a huge minority of people who truly appreciated it.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Lonebilly said:
This is completely on point. While it makes sense for certain characters other than Sora and Mickey, such as Riku (since he could but lost it), TAV (who were the stars of their game so of course), and Xehanort (our Big Bad), other characters getting it feels like anyone who is important has to have it.
Tbh I'm not even sure how I feel about Xehanort having one. So far every version fought lacked for reasons and I honestly felt that was his thing. Xehanort was someone that lost the keyblade.

I know so far only MX has it but in DDD the old coot possessed YXs mind and then suddenly could use MXs under a new keychain. That, to me, is a gateway for Nomura to give every Xehanort a keyblade which I'm not sure I like.

Lonebilly said:
Like Lea and Kairi. Now sure, KH2 established Kairi and it's been nearly over 8 years since, but she has a lot more potential to just be relegated to another wielder (and even then, that may not be developed as well as it should). And Lea didn't even really need a Keyblade. While I have to accept that there is no changing that now, them getting Keyblades kind of felt like it was taking away opportunities for the characters. Not everyone with a strong heart needs one. I'm sure Donald and Goofy could also wield, but that doesn't mean they should. Variety is where it's at.
What irks me about Axel is it's entirely fanservice. He was meant to die at the start of kh2 but now look at him.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm really surprised at all of the people here praising Re: Coded. I loved Coded, but for the longest time I felt like I was in a huge minority of people who truly appreciated it.

You and me both. I love the gameplay and character interactions in that game. Happy to see how many others really enjoyed it.

What irks me about Axel is it's entirely fanservice. He was meant to die at the start of kh2 but now look at him.

I agree. It's an interesting development but really unnecessary.

Reika

"Together... always."
Awards
Website
blayzes.deviantart.com
While it's not the best KH game (I think that title should go to either KHI or BBS), it's certainly my favorite.

The voice acting, while not perfect, wasn't OMG MY EARS ARE BLEEDING; actually, I quite liked how tame it was.

The worlds were more fun in KHI as there was a lot more to do, but I still found all of the worlds enjoyable.

And, to me, KHII had the best soundtrack of the series (though BBS comes to a VERY close second).

It was easy, but that just made it more relaxing for me. I was actually able to sit back and really watch the enemies while in other KH games, I was too busy focusing on strategy that I couldn't really pay much attention to the enemies except for timing of certain attacks.

The worst game is Re: Coded, bar none. At least it was to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back