• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Regarding Sora and Riku's parents

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Oh yeah that's right. Well to be more specific, sora should have acknowledged it as well.

I suppose he could. It's just one of those things where it doesn't hurt the plot or characters to bring it up but there's no point to it either. Just like how Sora never brings up Selphie, Tidus, or Wakka, or how Kairi and Riku don't bring them up for that matter, or Riku doesn't mention his parents outside of that off hand comment, or Kairi doesn't bring up whomever is taking care of her or her grandmother, KH simply doesn't bother with these smaller characters or situations unless they directly affect the plot. Which is rare. Sora doesn't bring up his home life because it's not necessary. Riku doesn't bring up his home life because it's not necessary. Not even Kairi, who hypothetically has the most interesting home life of the three, brings it up. Or any of the other characters who we can assume have parents, or at least had them at one point, like Terra, Aqua, and Ven. There are several characters that could bring up their parent/families/(previous)home lives more, but it's simply not important. It wouldn't hurt to have Sora say "gee, I miss my parents" but it's been so deeply established that they're irrelevant it wouldn't really bring anything to the table. I already assume that he cares about them based solely on the type of character he is so I never felt that I needed him to overtly state it (it'd be much more shocking and interesting if he admitted he didn't give a shit about them though~).

Gram

Banned
Awards
Since we know near nothing about Sora and Riku's parents it can't really be said what excuse they'd buy for their kids not coming back. Or if they even really cared. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Given most only know whats within their own world it still would lean more towards a storm than the later. xD Though the thought of them not caring is a sad but just as possible one.

Ruran

Awards
Given most only know whats within their own world it still would lean more towards a storm than the later. xD Though the thought of them not caring is a sad but just as possible one.

But the topic is about why they didn't return, what excuses were made for why they didn't return/why their parents think they didn't return is what I'm trying to say. XD;
The storm explains why they disappeared but it doesn't explain why they didn't come back when everyone else did~

Gram

Banned
Awards
But the topic is about why they didn't return, what excuses were made for why they didn't return/why their parents think they didn't return is what I'm trying to say. XD;
The storm explains why they disappeared but it doesn't explain why they didn't come back when everyone else did~

I know, I'm just raising a point~ xD

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
I don't think them mentioning their parents would hurt the plot, more so, may make them a bit more... realistic to a teenager? I was thinking of a certain way to bring the parents into a conversation while reading this and I was thinking like Sora laughing saying, "I wonder how my parents are taking with me gone? They are probably worried sick! Oh man, when they know what's going on... I won't hear the end of it." Then Donald and Goofy smile and tell him that not to worry or something witty back, idk. The point is that they could just say something and just end with a good note thus erasing our worries about that. It wouldn't hurt! :3

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't think them mentioning their parents would hurt the plot, more so, may make them a bit more... realistic to a teenager? I was thinking of a certain way to bring the parents into a conversation while reading this and I was thinking like Sora laughing saying, "I wonder how my parents are taking with me gone? They are probably worried sick! Oh man, when they know what's going on... I won't hear the end of it." Then Donald and Goofy smile and tell him that not to worry or something witty back, idk. The point is that they could just say something and just end with a good note thus erasing our worries about that. It wouldn't hurt! :3

Except KH isn't about being realistic, and certainly not realistic for a teenager. What teenager genuinely thinks about their parents when they go somewhere? I certainly did not when I was a teen and still really don't now despite the fact I love my mom.

I can't imagine Sora saying anything like that at all because that sounds so left field after just never mentioning them at all. He'd probably mention much more important characters before his parents. "Man, I hope Leon and the others are okay..."

Last edited:

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
the secret is that riku doesn't have parents

it's why he gets the komory bat in kh3d

cause he's actually batman

duh

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
duh
This has to be the most plausible explanation XD

But yeah, I don't want the parents to be in KH anymore than they have. Just enough so that you know they're no orphans, but hardly mentioned otherwise~

As for what Kairi might or might NOT have told them, I doubt they'd believe her. Those 3 would be pegged as "dreamers" in any setting. Especially on the mundane Destiny Islands. If a parent thinks their kid died or was lost in a storm, I don't think they'd believe anything that the eccentric friend said about it. After all, Kairi just...showed up. She could have any sort of home circumstances imaginable. I doubt anything she could say would help, mostly cuz no one probly listens to what she has to say besides the mayor. And "believing" is a whole other thing.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
This has to be the most plausible explanation XD

But yeah, I don't want the parents to be in KH anymore than they have. Just enough so that you know they're no orphans, but hardly mentioned otherwise~

As for what Kairi might or might NOT have told them, I doubt they'd believe her. Those 3 would be pegged as "dreamers" in any setting. Especially on the mundane Destiny Islands. If a parent thinks their kid died or was lost in a storm, I don't think they'd believe anything that the eccentric friend said about it. After all, Kairi just...showed up. She could have any sort of home circumstances imaginable. I doubt anything she could say would help, mostly cuz no one probly listens to what she has to say besides the mayor. And "believing" is a whole other thing.

I agree, the other islanders would of thought she was crazy since she had no way to prove any of her claims. maybe if she could of summoned a keyblade at the time people might believe her. I think she just most likely kept her mouth shut

I agree, having sora express some concern for his parents in the first three games, and how they might of been worried about him wouldnt have hurt the plot at all.

I suppose he could. It's just one of those things where it doesn't hurt the plot or characters to bring it up but there's no point to it either. Just like how Sora never brings up Selphie, Tidus, or Wakka, or how Kairi and Riku don't bring them up for that matter, or Riku doesn't mention his parents outside of that off hand comment, or Kairi doesn't bring up whomever is taking care of her or her grandmother, KH simply doesn't bother with these smaller characters or situations unless they directly affect the plot. Which is rare. Sora doesn't bring up his home life because it's not necessary. Riku doesn't bring up his home life because it's not necessary. Not even Kairi, who hypothetically has the most interesting home life of the three, brings it up. Or any of the other characters who we can assume have parents, or at least had them at one point, like Terra, Aqua, and Ven. There are several characters that could bring up their parent/families/(previous)home lives more, but it's simply not important. It wouldn't hurt to have Sora say "gee, I miss my parents" but it's been so deeply established that they're irrelevant it wouldn't really bring anything to the table. I already assume that he cares about them based solely on the type of character he is so I never felt that I needed him to overtly state it (it'd be much more shocking and interesting if he admitted he didn't give a shit about them though~).

It would be interesting, but I think that would make sora come off as a really heartless character.

Gram

Banned
Awards

duh

qxotpi.jpg
It all makes sense now! The darkness, the downheadedness, EVERYTHING!

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Thinking about it now...do we even know if Riku has biological parents? I mean, at least from what I remember, a woman called Sora down for dinner in KH1 (never was stated to be his mom but it's very likely) and then in BbS, Riku said "my friend's dad" so Sora's dad brought them over.

What if Riku is orphaned like Sora and Sora's parents adopted Riku O_O So when Riku said "we may never see our parents again" he was referencing the same pair of parents? Unless somewhere it was mentioned that Riku had separate parents from Sora in which case this whole flow of thought is moot lol

Ruran

Awards
Thinking about it now...do we even know if Riku has biological parents? I mean, at least from what I remember, a woman called Sora down for dinner in KH1 (never was stated to be his mom but it's very likely) and then in BbS, Riku said "my friend's dad" so Sora's dad brought them over.

What if Riku is orphaned like Sora and Sora's parents adopted Riku O_O So when Riku said "we may never see our parents again" he was referencing the same pair of parents? Unless somewhere it was mentioned that Riku had separate parents from Sora in which case this whole flow of thought is moot lol

*shrugs*

Who knows.

The only time Riku ever mentioned them was on DI when he said "we may never even see our parents again" but it could have been generality. For all we know Riku's parents could have been the biggest distributors in hair bleach on the islands but were killed one day in a random act of violence. Sora's dad was the family butler and after Riku was orphaned he took him in and raised him with Sora.

Therefore he's Batman.

LE GASP!!!!!!!!11 So... does that mean Sora is Robin? xD

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
"What happened to my Island? To my friends! Riku and Kairi."

Sora, giving a damn about the Island that he and his friends sail out to, as well as said friends.
But not giving a damn about his home and parental figure(s).

Sure, you can go gallivanting with your creepy duck and weird dog friends. But would it kill you to call home once in a while, you ungrateful child.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
As far as Sora knows, his parents and everyone else on the main island are fine. The storm erupted specifically over the play island, and Riku and Kairi were the only other people on it at the time.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
As far as Sora knows, his parents and everyone else on the main island are fine. The storm erupted specifically over the play island, and Riku and Kairi were the only other people on it at the time.

Still not giving a darn over his parent's emotional state lol For shame Sora...for shame...unless his parents were abusive, then I'd call DYFS all up on DI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back