• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TobiusMcKenzie

Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

Cannot wait 'till the game comes out ;D.
In my opinion some of the voice actors currently are alright, including all the Disney characters (Josh Keaton who voices young Herc also voiced Ocelot from MGS3 XD), Ventus, Vanitas, Even, Braig and Master Erauqs (Can't believe Mark Hamill, aka Luke Skywalker and THE JOKER is doing him XD).
But some of them I feel are not actually cut out for the VA world, I mean just because Christopher Lee voiced 1 role in one KH doesn't mean we need to roll out the red velvet for an audio booth. I am not fond of Leonard Nemoys voice currently as MX, its too deep. If he kept his voice relatively normal like he did in the recent Star Trek movie (2009), then I wouldn't mind.
And as far as Terra and Aqua, I don't feel they convey enough emotion in their roles. They sound in the trailers...relatively bland.
Though I'm sure the gameplay will compensate more than enough for this, and I can make a true overall judgement on the voice acting once I complete the game :)

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com

Now that we officially know all of the actors, let's have fun and create a fantasy list. :3

These are the people who I would've enjoyed as the VAs of BBS.

Terra: Travis Willingham (voice of Mustang in FMA)
Aqua: Jessica Dismuke (voice of Yukina in Yu Yu Hakusho)
Ventus: Eric Vale (voice of Trunks in DBZ)
Master Eraqus: Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore in Movies 3-8)
Master Xehanort: Patrick Stewart (Charles Xavier from the X-men live action films)
Vanitas: Brad Swaile (voice of Light Yagami in Death Note)

In truth, I'm actually very satisfied with the current VAs for Ventus, Vanitas, and ME, but I thought it'd be fun to make a list anyway.

Travis Willingham as Terra = HELL. FCKING. YES. (Extra lulz if Terra asks Aqua to be in his miniskirt army) I suggested him pages and pages and pages ago, but I still think it'd be pretty damn awesome.

Sempied

But some of them I feel are not actually cut out for the VA world, I mean just because Christopher Lee voiced 1 role in one KH doesn't mean we need to roll out the red velvet for an audio booth. I am not fond of Leonard Nemoys voice currently as MX, its too deep. If he kept his voice relatively normal like he did in the recent Star Trek movie (2009), then I wouldn't mind.
And as far as Terra and Aqua, I don't feel they convey enough emotion in their roles. They sound in the trailers...relatively bland.
Though I'm sure the gameplay will compensate more than enough for this, and I can make a true overall judgement on the voice acting once I complete the game :)

If anything i'd say Christopher has the most experience with this thing. From doing folk music - GoldenEye - Soul Music - Wyrd Sisters - etc. Deep? Thats a first in my sight. MX actually sounds like a dying old man, not a 40-50 try to choke on ham to sound like an old pedophile. There was emotion the E3 scenes for Terra didn't necessarily require it, while the Gamespot, and Gamescom conveyed that sort of thing pretty well I might add.

Aqua is...Yeah i'll go by yours, and wait until the full game as she went from being defendable - What were thinking?

sonickenshin

Awards

Your list is my fav thus far. Troy Baker is an amazing VA that loves his job, and would've easily put down the "Terra needs to sound more deep tone" whining. Whenever I think MX with Doc's voice I always imagine "Great Scott!" coming from his mouth. I really don't think Yuri would make a good Van though. He could capture the crazed, evil side yes, but I not his coy, cold nature would be well kept with Van without me thinking of Suzaku from Code Geass.
I think he could if he mixes his line reads as Sasuke with that crazed, evil side of Gig he could be. But, really, it was more of a gamble when I threw in Yuri in there.

Wheels

So, did I miss any important news while I was at my convention? I did see the newer trailer, with quieter music, and I liked it myself =D

Con was great, found a Ventus(the only other BbS cosplayer there) who at the time was complaining everyone thought he was fail-Roxas, and got a photo with him(It was hilarious cause he's much bigger than me, and we did the whole dramatic slow run to each other when we realised who the other was XD) and one of the funniest moments was Little Kuriboh(Of Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged Series fame) asked for MY picture XD Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

So, did I miss any important news while I was at my convention? I did see the newer trailer, with quieter music, and I liked it myself =D

Aside from discovering Terra's VA, the new trailer, the website update, and the new BBS subforum, not really ;D

Con was great, found a Ventus(the only other BbS cosplayer there) who at the time was complaining everyone thought he was fail-Roxas, and got a photo with him(It was hilarious cause he's much bigger than me, and we did the whole dramatic slow run to each other when we realised who the other was XD) and one of the funniest moments was Little Kuriboh(Of Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged Series fame) asked for MY picture XD Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

I bet your Aqua cosplay was awesome :3
Lol LittleKuriboh XD

Wheels

Aside from discovering Terra's VA, the new trailer, the website update, and the new BBS subforum, not really ;D

Ah hah! Yeah, I just managed to get the news for Terra's VA minutes before I left, just saw the trailer, haven't seen the website yet and I know about the sub forum, it took me ages to find this forum again XD Haha, not much at all.

DrunkBeardGuy

His "Leave my friends alone!" with MX and inevitable fall to darkness screaming were great. He has a couple "off" lines, but I definitely don't think he's as bad as a lot of people think.

All in all, everyone was great. Especially Willa and Nimoy, who I never really liked for Aqua and MX. Christopher Lloyd definitely would have been better.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards

does anyone know if hayden is returning for kairi in the end

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

does anyone know if hayden is returning for kairi in the end

We've discussed at lot in this thread actually ^^

At this point, Alyson seems more likely considering that she's already been confirmed to voice Xion, and since Kairi has like, 3 lines, plus the fact that the two are supposed to sound the same...

But if it matters, we don't have an official confirmation for Kairi.

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com

We've discussed at lot in this thread actually ^^

At this point, Alyson seems more likely considering that she's already been confirmed to voice Xion, and since Kairi has like, 3 lines, plus the fact that the two are supposed to sound the same...

But if it matters, we don't have an official confirmation for Kairi.

Alyson Stoner... Ever since finding out she's a VA for KH and a main character in the Step Up series, I'm in love...

But reading Jason's interview on being Terra, he sounds... lost. :p He's so excited to be Terra and voice with Snow White. xD

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Alyson Stoner... Ever since finding out she's a VA for KH and a main character in the Step Up series, I'm in love...

But reading Jason's interview on being Terra, he sounds... lost. :p He's so excited to be Terra and voice with Snow White. xD

I wouldn't really say "lost", but that interview was done back in February, and the info ban at that time was pretty strict, since it was just a month after the game's release in Japan.

Oh yeah, his happy ramble about Terra XD

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com

I wouldn't really say "lost", but that interview was done back in February, and the info ban at that time was pretty strict, since it was just a month after the game's release in Japan.

Oh yeah, his happy ramble about Terra XD

February!? Wow. Must be. He's so happy about his role, and that enthusiasm is what I like. :D

DrunkBeardGuy

Not like it wasn't obvious, but the Gamescom trailer confirmed Rick Gomez for Zack.

Diomedes

I aim to misbehave

I've been thinking about Willa Honda voicing Aqua, and I couldn't help but notice that my opinion seems to be the exact opposite of quite a few members. Personally, I love her voice but many people say that it is too bland/emotionless, as if Willa makes Aqua sound emotionless or disinterested about the events surrounding her, and I have to ask: what the fcuk are they talking about? I can here plenty of emotion in her voice, not to mention that the character's body language more than makes up for any lacking moments. Perhaps it is because they listened to the Japanese VA's first and have decided that if the characters don't sound exactly like that then it is just plain wrong, or maybe everybody they know paints their words with emotion when they speak, just in case the body language isn't screaming that they are happy or sad.

About Japanese vs English VA's: I have listened to both multiple times, and have to say that I like the English better, not because that is my native language but because it sounds more realistic to me; people say that Nimoy doesn't make MX sound right: Nimoy is an old man, MX is an old man; I don't care that he is a badass keyblade master; he is a goddamn old man and that is how old men talk. Every now and then somebody says Hamill doesn't sound right as ME; the main reason people think he doesn't sound right is because we are used to him voicingthe bad guy; sure maybe Hamill does have the 'bad guy voice', there are plenty of nice people out there who sound like what you would expect Hitler or Stalin to sound like.

Now that that is out of the way: I talk the same exact way that Willa makes Aqua talk, and so does my best friend, who happens to be the single most emotional person I know. Just because somebody doesn't sound interested/emotional, doesn't mean that they aren't. In fact, I think that the voice which carry the most emotion is the one that sounds the least emotional, because you have to actually listen to what the person is saying; you have to listen for the small changes that can completely transform the atmosphere.

Anyways, thats just my opinion.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards

or maybe everybody they know paints their words with emotion when they speak, just in case the body language isn't screaming that they are happy or sad.

The whole point behind being a voice actor is so that you can act... with your voice. She should be using emotion to convey the character's feelings. Willa comes across as zoned out and disinterested. Yeah, there's body language, but that doesn't help when there's an absolute dissonance between the voice and the body. You have to have both.

She has one or two lines that I like, and maybe the game will change my opinion, but as of right now Aqua seems pretty comatose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back