• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KHRULER

Awards
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - What VAs do you want to see return for KH3?

I wish we had a clearer idea of how they go about contacting actors to reprise their roles for Kingdom Hearts. Do they try to get in touch with the originals before trying to find a sound-alike, or do they immediately go for who they could get realistically with their budget and not bother?

Well it does seem like they started caring a little more on what the fans had to say since the survey.So I'd think they'd go for what fans would want and try original (if the original VAs are willing to work with the pay) then work their way down.If not,they'd just go for sound-alikes that'd fit their budget.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - What VAs do you want to see return for KH3?

Well it does seem like they started caring a little more on what the fans had to say since the survey.So I'd think they'd go for what fans would want and try original (if the original VAs are willing to work with the pay) then work their way down.If not,they'd just go for sound-alikes that'd fit their budget.

A survey would not really effect how they handle the actual localization process. The main purpose was marketing research (which leads into merchandising but that is irrelevant in this discussion), and possibly used as data for the dev team to have when trying to understand fan expectations (which does not necessarily mean this data would be used in any effective way. Just that they have it and people like Nomura, Yasue, Hashimoto, etc. have maybe/maybe not have read a report on it and can use this data however they wish)

Sometimes going down the list isn't possible, though. If they ask an actor and they say yes but they don't have the money to pay them, it would have been pointless to ask them to begin with. Most of this work is also done on a set commission rate, and the VAs will get paid by amount of time spent in the booth per the commission rate, and some actors might not agree to the rate for the time spent.

There definitely has to be a balance in deciding. They just cannot ask first and think later. There is probably a lot of negotiation, too.

The bulk of their voice over budget is also probably spent paying the main characters who have the most lines (i.e. HJO, David Gallagher, Jesse McCartney, Hayden Panettiere, etc). I imagine the main Disney cast are under a long-term contract when it comes to their pay like Bill Farmer, Tony Anselmo, and Bret Iwan (the former two having been employed by Disney for almost 30 years)

Last edited:

KHRULER

Awards

I knew I'd regret posting that....(as usual)

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

So, do you guys think Dee Bradley baker, Molly Keck, and Shaun Fleming will will return as Wakka Delphine, and Tidus.

sonickenshin

Awards

I think there's a strong chance of Molly coming back. Dunno about Dee, and they might have to recast Shaun, since he probably hit puberty. It'd be interesting if they got John DiMaggio and James Arnold Taylor to do the voices this time, since Nakai and Morita are their voices in the original KH.

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards

Molly Keck and Dee Bradley Baker for sure will be back. Someone else will probably voice Tidus, Shaun Fleming is obviously too old now to voice the character. I think Aaron Spann would make a sensible replacement.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards

I hadn't thought of those three; especially Tidus and Wakka!
Do y'all think they'll be in KH3 a bit more since X/X-2 came out again recently? I'm honestly not sure, but that was fun to think about. You're all right: if they talk more, we're gonna need different voices, possibly...

Scorseselover

This may sound random but I want whatever new main villain they're coming up with for this game to be voiced by one of these:
Gary Oldman
Ron Perlman
Sean Penn
Kevin Spacey (That is if he isn't playing Hopper if Bug's Life isn't added)
Josh Brolin
John Malkovich
George Clooney
Alec Baldwin
Jeff Bridges
Alan Rickman
Ralph Fiennes
Edward Norton
Kiefer Sutherland

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Jeff Bridges didn't even voice Kevin Flynn for KH3D.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards

I really hope we get to see Christopher Lee return in some way. I know given his age, it's most unlikely, but it would just be awesome if he would.

Scorseselover

I really hope we get to see Christopher Lee return in some way. I know given his age, it's most unlikely, but it would just be awesome if he would.
Age doesn't really matter for him

Solo

Silver Member
Awards

Yes, it does. He's based in the UK and his age restricts his travels (and I believe I heard somewhere in this thread that it's nigh impossible for him to travel to the US due to health concerns).

Unless Square is willing to go abroad to have him record his lines, which translates to extra cost, he won't be reprising any role in KH.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards

That's a damn shame. The dude has a great voice and is beyond epic as DiZ. Let's not forget to mention his legendary singing voice. <3

Scorseselover

John C Reilly as Wreck it Ralph, I just want to see an Oscar nominated actor from Chicago, The Aviator, The Hours, and Step Brothers in A Kingdom Hearts game

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards

Oh god no, not him. I love his work in comedies, but his voice is godawful. :<

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards

Christopher Lee wasn't even in his actual scenes from the first Hobbit movie. They did the recording and just popped him into place.
But I believe Corey Burton voices DiZ, and I'm ok with that. Not Christopher Lee, by any means...But he's good.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards

Christopher Lee wasn't even in his actual scenes from the first Hobbit movie. They did the recording and just popped him into place.
But I believe Corey Burton voices DiZ, and I'm ok with that. Not Christopher Lee, by any means...But he's good.

Corey Burton took on the role from Re:CoM and to current titles. I don't know what happened with Christopher Lee not continuing the role, but yeah there it is.

Zebedy

Awards

Corey Burton took on the role from Re:CoM and to current titles. I don't know what happened with Christopher Lee not continuing the role, but yeah there it is.
Christopher Lee actually voiced DiZ in 358/2 Days. I think it's mostly just about his schedule. If he's available they go with Christopher Lee, otherwise they go with Burton. I hope for Lee for KH3 myself.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards

Christopher Lee actually voiced DiZ in 358/2 Days. I think it's mostly just about his schedule. If he's available they go with Christopher Lee, otherwise they go with Burton. I hope for Lee for KH3 myself.

Oh, well whichever the case, I just know that in Re:Com and the games after days, Corey Burton voiced DiZ/Ansem The Wise.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Johnny Yong Bosch voice a character. I'm sure with his rising popularity he'll get a call some time in the near future.

Scorseselover

George Clooney since Tomorrowland is coming next year

Back