• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What is the Purpose of Life?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Athel

Machinist
Life is a journey. Your ultimate goal is happiness. Though there will be obstacles in your way, you have to keep moving forward. You'll find that sometimes people will lend you their hands and help you, and the least you can do in return is to try and help others.

And in the end, that happiness you find in life was it's own reward.

BladesofJustice

Strange enough, I asked this question to my dad yesterday just to get his opinion. It's something I've wrestled with for awhile. I do believe in God (please no religion bashing) and think that we do systematically function within a set of parameters with some purpose in mind. What that is however....I'm still not 100% sure.

We exist, we reproduce, and continue to populate the planet (like some have mentioned), but I think we all retain some individuality as well. I don't think there is some uniform concept of purpose that we all adhere to. Instead, we're unique, each of us with our own purpose in life.

What is the purpose of life??.....possibly determining what it is and utilizing it, thereby providing a function that could in a small or large way affect others.

I think purpose is an unnecessary human concept.

I'm honestly curious. Why do you think so?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Because the concept of every thing (or at least every living and/or thinking thing) having a purpose is something possessed only by people. A rock exists, but it does not have a purpose. An animal exists, but it does not have some greater purpose. People exist, but they have no purpose other than what they define to be their purpose.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I just lost both my legs. Now what am I going to do, chew bubblegum for a living?

frisson

Silver Member
I think Orion summed it up nicely, but hey I'll keep talking.

We act with purpose or intent, but why do we require an inherent purpose, or reason to exist? I also believe in god, but not as a person, or as something that would create us with a purpose. Conversely, what would it mean to you if we were created with a purpose, and if that purpose was entertainment or amusement? Is there anything wrong with this? We as humans with five senses have experienced a fraction of the universe, of our own planet, and having one more sense or one less would alter that perception drastically.

Is the notion of life having no purpose one that should be met with despair? It's an initial reaction, but perhaps as humans with limited experience and understanding, we become a bit attached to ideas that hold no intrinsic weight or value outside our own minds. It doesn't detract from life in any way.

Last edited:

darkisaac

Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
When we begin getting into topics like these, words that most people use in daily parlance become technical terms (For example, the word 'valid' has a very different meaning in Formal Logic than it does in everyday speech), therefore before going into the question itself we must elucidate what we mean by 'purpose' so that we will not have semantic squabbles interrupting our discussion.

Now I've read some of the posts and people seem to be using the words 'purpose' and 'meaning' interchangeably, which to me is troublesome, since a close analysis of each will yield quite separate results.

'Purpose' is a word which is pregnant with intent/intentionality. We cannot avoid this connotation. Something has a purpose only if it was intentionally caused by an agent; e.g. your computer has a purpose, in the sense that it was designed and created by some person to fulfill a specific function. It seems imperative to point out that intentionality is the key component in deriving purpose, cause in itself is not sufficient, after all, think of how we use the word in the phrase "on purpose": when we say someone did something "on purpose" we explicitly mean that they did that something with intentionality.

A thought experiment should demonstrate my point: Suppose for instance that you accidentally knocked over some items and that, by chance, they happened to fall and clash together to form an entirely new object. Suppose then that a friend of yours walked by and saw this newly made object, and asked you "what is the purpose of this thing?". Of course the natural response would be to say that this new thing DOES NOT have a purpose, as it was merely an accident -- certainly you caused this thing to be, but because you did not do so with intentionality, you did not create this new object. Therefore, for something to have a purpose it must be caused with intent, or in other words, created (Now of course one can debate my point that the word 'create' implies intentionality, but at least to me it seems that way, in either case if you disagree with me on this then that's fine, just note that I will now use the word 'create' as a technical term meaning "to intentionally cause").

So now that the word purpose had been dealt with it should seem evident that to ask what the purpose of life is (and I'm going to assume we are referring to human life in particular) presumes that human life was created by some entity or entities. Note that the creator role need not be limited to a God(s), as any being with some sort of intentionality will do. That being said, the answer to the question inevitably rests on whether or not human life was created -- If we were simply caused, then human life has no purpose, it's as simple as that.

Now of course we have no conclusive answer to the question of whether or not we were created, so our first inquiry in also still up in the air.

I do want to point out it is erroneous to think we can 'define' or 'decide' our own purpose in life, as some people have suggested in this thread -- whether a thing has a purpose or not is an objective fact, so we have no control over that, if we weren't created by something else, then we don't have a purpose, period. Talk of us being able to decide our own purpose is simply a misunderstanding of the concept.

I think the reason for this is simply because people are getting the concept of 'purpose' mixed up with the concept of 'meaning'. As I said before, these two terms are not one and the same, yet I've seen people in this thread use them as if they were.

Unlike purpose, meaning does seems to be a more subjective matter (although I admit I haven't studied semantics, so my usage of the word meaning might very well be shallow or crude, but luckily I am not seeking to give a full account of what meaning is, I am simply trying to describe one of its properties, namely its conventional nature). It certainly seems that nothing has meaning in-itself i.e. inherently. Meaning doesn't seem to be an observable property of the world

What would the meaning of a rock be? that seems like such a nonsensical question. The meaning of a cat? I mean it makes sense to talk of the meaning of words, or symbols, because these are conventional -- we construct words, we construct symbols and ascribe meaning to them. The meaning arises from what the words or symbols stand for, which of course is determined by us. We pick something in the world for the words to refer to. But what would things in the world refer to? at least inherently, nothing. They just are. The word 'rock' has meaning because we picked something in the world for it to correspond to (notice I don't say something in reality because I don't know for sure whether the world as we know it is how it really is lol). But the actual thing, an actual rock, doesn't inherently refer to anything else. The only way it could is if we ascribe meaning to it, by which we would simply be turning that rock into a symbol.

The point is that meaning seems to be something we can indeed determine, and so we can determine what meaning we give to our lives.

So I think people despair when they think of our lives being purposeless because they equate that with meaning - but as I said, you can have a meaningful life even without purpose.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Therefore, for something to have a purpose it must be caused with intent,
That's only if it's to have a purpose at the moment of its creation. What about finding something and giving a purpose for where it previously had none? Picking up a rock and using it as a hammer? The rock was not made with intent, but it was nevertheless given a purpose post-creation.
So now that the word purpose had been dealt with it should seem evident that to ask what the purpose of life is (and I'm going to assume we are referring to human life in particular) presumes that human life was created by some entity or entities.
Only if we want to go with the idea of a single, universal purpose that isn't to the effect of "everyone make their own."
I do want to point out it is erroneous to think we can 'define' or 'decide' our own purpose in life, as some people have suggested in this thread
I have made it my purpose in life to be an intelligent, creative and compassionate person. There, I just defined a purpose. This is where your argument falls somewhat flat, because the idea of a purpose for a tool or a rock is not the same sort of purpose that can be discussed with something as complex as a human. For starters, it may or may not be born with a purpose (be it from a deity or simply their parents), and it can both be subject to a purpose or give itself one.
hether a thing has a purpose or not is an objective fact, so we have no control over that, if we weren't created by something else, then we don't have a purpose, period. Talk of us being able to decide our own purpose is simply a misunderstanding of the concept.
How is my choosing to fulfill an identical function to hammer not me choosing my purpose? I have changed myself - essentially created a new entity - and with that creation came a new purpose.

Naught

Life does not have any intrinsic value or purpose. The closest thing we have to a universal purpose is to reproduce, but to 'live' rather than just 'survive', much more could be said to be required. That's why I believe it's up to people on the individual level to create meaning for their life and theirs alone.

I was going to post my view, but this is mostly it.
I doubt animals ever question the reason they're here, but of course I cannot prove that. We all seem to do it though. I think, like Orion said, it's something we all create our own reasons for. Something that doesn't have a definite answer, unless you yourself say it so because you've figured it out or whatever.
I've questioned it for years and never found an answer, so I've not thought about it. It'll come, or it won't. That's the beauty of it all I guess.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Because the concept of every thing (or at least every living and/or thinking thing) having a purpose is something possessed only by people. A rock exists, but it does not have a purpose. An animal exists, but it does not have some greater purpose. People exist, but they have no purpose other than what they define to be their purpose.

Basically, this.

There is no predetermined, general, know-all purpose for every completely different individual human being. I think most people equate having a purpose to having a definite, confirmed meaning in life, but even if you lack a predefined purpose does not mean that you lack a meaning in life. You yourself carve your own meaning. Nobody in life is going to play out the same exact events as anyone else; that's just the way it is. Life's purpose can't be just to reproduce: many people never do. Hell, some people physically can't. Does that mean they failed in life's purpose? No, that's just not what they're aimed to do. Regardless of any "specific" objectives you'd like to assign to life as a whole, you really can't do that: life's meaning is up for interpretation. Everyone treats life differently, and everyone will do something different with it. We should make our own paths, not follow those that philosophers tell us to.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
the purpose of life is to make silly threads on internet forums where everyone has an intellectual circlejerk over old philosophical questions

D

Deleted member 36435

the meaning of life is to become as swag as carl sagan

Relix

A traveler
Awards
to masturbate into a jug

socrates3.jpg

this guy

darkisaac

Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
That's only if it's to have a purpose at the moment of its creation. What about finding something and giving a purpose for where it previously had none? Picking up a rock and using it as a hammer? The rock was not made with intent, but it was nevertheless given a purpose post-creation.

You're misusing the term. Purpose cannot be given post-creation. If you find a rock and use it as a hammer, you haven't given it a purpose, you've given it a function. And I'm not arguing for the word per say, but rather the concept of purpose, unfortunately I have to resort to language to explain myself, but it should be evident that the word purpose has this sense or connotation in our language.

Think about it: If purpose simply meant the intentionality imposed on an object(including people) at any time, by anyone, then the question "what is the purpose of life?" is a rather dull and almost trivial one. After all if that was the case then purpose would simply be reduced to a relative notion, so that whatever role one chooses to impose on a thing at any given time, would essentially be the purpose of said thing. Hence as you say, if I use a rock as a hammer (me imposing the 'hammer' role onto the rock, or better yet, me imposing my will on the rock), I am giving the rock a purpose.

But under this view the purpose of things is shallow and relativistic. If my friend decides to use the rock as a paperweight, then you're essentially saying that he's changed the rock's purpose, and whenever anyone decides to use the rock for something else they'd be changing it too. After all, there is no valid reason why I should have any priority over my friend in determining the "purpose" of the rock (you could argue that I used the rock first, but that seems a very arbitrary and unconvincing point).

And so the concept of purpose really loses that poignancy which we seem to give to it. It becomes simply a matter of whatever one wills upon an object.

Only if we want to go with the idea of a single, universal purpose that isn't to the effect of "everyone make their own."

But that's the only meaningful way we have of inquiring about purpose. Again, if purpose is simply a relativistic notion (as your example implies), then why would we even bother asking what the purpose of life is? or the purpose of anything for that matter? After all, in such a case there wouldn't really be an answer because anyone thing could have any number of "purposes" at a time, after all, I might use the rock as a hammer, my friend as a paperweight, another friend might use it as a ball when juggling, etc. According to you, in each of those instances we change the purpose of the thing.

But notice, we ask what THE purpose of something is. We don't ask what A purpose is, we ask for one objective answer. Our language reveals the intuitions we have when we consider the concept of purpose.

If what was meant by purpose was simply what you mean by purpose, then we wouldn't attach so much weight to the concept and we wouldn't ask for a single universal answer, but we would instead ask people individually, what they considered their purpose in life to be. But the fact is that we ARE asking for a single universal answer, precisely because our concept of purpose isn't the one you propose. At least that's what seems most plausible to me.

My point is that if the word purpose really meant what you take it to mean, then we wouldn't even bother asking the question "what is the purpose of life?". And yet, the fact that we have been asking this question throughout human history seems to me a good indicator that you are not actually addressing what we indeed mean by the word "purpose".

(Note, even Aristotle's account of purpose (Telos) is one in which the purpose of a thing is an objective matter -- a result of its nature. Aristotle believed all things had an objective telos, I don't think I agree, since my explanation of purpose necesitates a creator of some sort (so I can't say for sure if trees have a purpose for example. Aristotle had the concept of the Prime Mover, but he never describes this entity as a sentient one or one possessing intentionality, which is crucial for consciousness/mind). The point is that even since Ancient times, what was meant by the concept of purpose wasn't what you mean by it.)

I have made it my purpose in life to be an intelligent, creative and compassionate person. There, I just defined a purpose. This is where your argument falls somewhat flat, because the idea of a purpose for a tool or a rock is not the same sort of purpose that can be discussed with something as complex as a human. For starters, it may or may not be born with a purpose (be it from a deity or simply their parents), and it can both be subject to a purpose or give itself one.

What do you mean by this? You have made it your purpose?

If by saying you've made it your purpose to be intelligent, creative, and compassionate (one could certainly argue whether you can just "decide" to be creative and intelligent), you're simply asserting that you want to lead a life in which you live up to those standards, then I would say you've set goals for yourself. But I am not sure the concept of "goal" equates with "purpose".

How is my choosing to fulfill an identical function to hammer not me choosing my purpose? I have changed myself - essentially created a new entity - and with that creation came a new purpose.

As you yourself said, you've changed your function.

Besides, I don't think you really believe you've created a new entity. If I showed you a picture of when you were a kid and asked you who that was you would undoubtedly answer "me". Change is a tricky issue, and I'd rather avoid the metaphysical debate that will come of discussing it (which also involves the philosophy of time), since I get enough of that in school. Suffice it to say that there is a sense in which changing something about yourself makes you into a new person, but committing yourself to the idea that you've created a "new entity" is actually very counterintuitive and problematic and you should consider the implications before making the claim.

For example, when you say the statement "I've created a new entity" it would technically be the new entity asserting, but the one who did the creating was the old-you, not the new-you so how could the new-you make the assertion using the word "I" when it in fact wasn't the new-you at all doing the creating?

Not to mention that at every single moment we are changing physically, molecules move, cells restructure, atoms, protons, electrons, etc. We are not static beings, so literally every moment in time you are not the same as you were a moment before (moment is a vague and very problematic term, but for now and for argument's sake take it to mean an incredibly, ridiculously small unit of time). Therefore if you're committed to the view that a change constitutes the birth of a "new entity", then there is no "you" except for a brief moment in time, after that moment you would be (quite literally) a different person, and the moment after that another person again, and so on.

This is essentially the rejection of the idea of persistence, once of the most basic and fundamental intuitions we have. We inherently believe that things persist. If I see that the tree in my backyard is green in spring, and I come back in fall and it's red, I assume it is still the same tree, it seems silly to think that the old tree popped out of existence and a new, almost identical, red tree took its place (though it is certainly a logical possibility, nobody really believes that, even if they say they do).

Notice that if you reject persistence, the words "I" or "you" or any similar word would become rather obsolete, because even as you would utter the word "I" you'd be changing, hence it would be a different person as the word "I" leaves your lips, hence by the time you finish uttering "I", the word would lose all meaning since the person being referred to by the word wouldn't be the same person saying it at all -- and yet I is a self-referring term, meaning the person uttering it is the one being referred to by the word.

That's just one little problem I thought of on the spot. But there are many more. After all the idea of creating a new entity is incompatible with the idea of persistence through time.This is just the classic problem of change, seen since the time of the greeks, which is a big problem for the endurance theory of persistence. If you feel comfortable with saying things don't persist then go ahead. But intuitively nobody really believes that. Most philosophers would avoid saying that things don't persist, even endurance theorists try to explain how things can change and still persist instead of just saying that every change constitutes a new entity.

I at least certainly don't think I'm creating a "new entity" when I change something about myself. I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who actually accepts that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back