• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Any suggestions for children?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
So I have kids now at home, and sometimes I'm watching some Full Metal Alchemist or something on Toonami and they watch with me. While some of the anime isn't that violent for them, I kinda worry when they are watching it with me. So I wondering if there's any anime, especially dubbed, that you know that is for children. Possibly for a 4 year old girl and a 2- year old boy. I don't mind Pokemon, but something for both or separated I was thinking of Tokyo Mew Mew, but I don't know... any suggestions?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
FMA is pretty risky for a 4 and 2 year old because things get a bit more "mature" as the series progresses. Especially with the whole, Chimera storyline.

Ghibli movies are wonderful introductions to anime, especially for children. Anything from our childhoods are probably safe bets as well, like Digimon, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, DB/DBZ, Cardcaptor Sakura, etc.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
FMA is pretty risky for a 4 and 2 year old because things get a bit more "mature" as the series progresses. Especially with the whole, Chimera storyline.

Ghibli movies are wonderful introductions to anime, especially for children. Anything from our childhoods are probably safe bets as well, like Digimon, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, DB/DBZ, Cardcaptor Sakura, etc.

I agree, but its the only tv in the house... xD Plus, if something bad comes up, I quickly switch the channel.

I was thinking about Sailor Moon, I heard they were coming out with a new version of it soon!

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
yugioh is another one i can think of. i would also recommend the 4kids dubbed version of one piece. i despise it, but it should be safe for kids

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I would suggest Lucky Star or Kirby. It's what I started my siblings on awhile ago and they enjoyed watching them both. Will try to think of more suggestions in the meantime.

Oh! Try Fruits Basket. Sure, it has some episodes that get more serious but, the rest is acceptable to watch and funny. :D

Awards
yugioh is another one i can think of. i would also recommend the 4kids dubbed version of one piece. i despise it, but it should be safe for kids

As someone who watched Yugioh believing in that whole "if you lose you'll go to the shadow realm." bull, I have to say I'd rather keep kids away from that. Still can't believe I bought that. HOW DO SPINNING BLADES SEND YOU TO ANOTHER DIMENSION?

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
So I have kids now at home, and sometimes I'm watching some Full Metal Alchemist or something on Toonami and they watch with me. While some of the anime isn't that violent for them, I kinda worry when they are watching it with me. So I wondering if there's any anime, especially dubbed, that you know that is for children. Possibly for a 4 year old girl and a 2- year old boy. I don't mind Pokemon, but something for both or separated I was thinking of Tokyo Mew Mew, but I don't know... any suggestions?

Between the goof drwaing and lack of any romantic tones (which is odd for a magical girl series)
PPGZ is totally children friendly but beware sugar overload
[video=youtube;6A0CGogb_YU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0CGogb_YU[/video]

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
there's no need to pollute them at such a young age come on now

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I would suggest Lucky Star or Kirby. It's what I started my siblings on awhile ago and they enjoyed watching them both. Will try to think of more suggestions in the meantime.

Oh! Try Fruits Basket. Sure, it has some episodes that get more serious but, the rest is acceptable to watch and funny. :D
I don't know about Kirby I'm sure that's fine but Lucky Star is a bit more... IDK cultural for them? Like, I don't see a 2 or 4 year old understanding most of the humor like a 10 year old probably could. I don't know how old your siblings are. I'm not even going to mention how much I actually hate LS myself, but yeah, I don't think that's a good anime to show.

As for Fruits Basket, different kinda thing. That's meant for younger teens, and still has mature things in it.

Sailor Moon was my first anime and I still love it to this day, I definitely think you should go there.
Also I know you asked for anime but if you want a manga they can read, try Yotsuba&! It's enjoyable to kids and adults.

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
As someone who watched Yugioh believing in that whole "if you lose you'll go to the shadow realm." bull, I have to say I'd rather keep kids away from that. Still can't believe I bought that. HOW DO SPINNING BLADES SEND YOU TO ANOTHER DIMENSION?
I didn't believe in that and I watched YuGiOh when I was younger, lol. I think it very much depends on the kid and we can only give generic answers based on experience or what we think is "innocent" enough for kids. I'm sure most of it will go right over their heads at these ages anyway so...

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Aqua, you must promise me you will never show your niece and nephew SpongeBob. There are scientific studies that have shown a correlation between SpongeBob and disrespectful behavior. Something about the show makes kids aggressive and disregard authority, and also potentially can hinder their intellectual growth.

Anyways, you should show them Digimon! I think they'd love it and the show is vibrant and fun enough to engage young children, and it is obviously a fantastic franchise. If you can find it, I'd recommend SD Gundam. A lot of people consider it a bastardization of the Gundam franchise but I thought the show was really cute when I was younger. I wouldn't watch it now but I know they would probably find it enjoyable. Here is the first episode so you can check it out and see if it is appropriate enough for them.

And I don't think a 2 year old would really be too interested in what's on tv at the moment.

Ohh, trust me they are very interested. My best friend's little sister, when she was 2, would demand to watch SpongeBob and if we didn't put it on she'd throw a fit. She also always wanted to watch the stuff her father was watching. They care and they do pay attention, even if they might not remember it all when they get older.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Now that I think about it I watched Ghost in the Shell with my dad when I was around that age. .-. I fell asleep after the opening every time but I never really thought much into it.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Aqua, you must promise me you will never show your niece and nephew SpongeBob. There are scientific studies that have shown a correlation between SpongeBob and disrespectful behavior. Something about the show makes kids aggressive and disregard authority, and also potentially can hinder their intellectual growth.

wait what

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Aqua, you must promise me you will never show your niece and nephew SpongeBob. There are scientific studies that have shown a correlation between SpongeBob and disrespectful behavior. Something about the show makes kids aggressive and disregard authority, and also potentially can hinder their intellectual growth. .

I think that's absolute bull. Honestly, it has to with discipline and the way parents bring up their kids.

I still remember watching the very first episode of Spongebob air 14 years ago. My brother grew up watching it. We turned out just fine. Whenever I stepped out of line, you bet my mother was there to put me in my place.

So that I don't derail the thread, have them watch One Piece. You can do so here. Better yet, have them watch Dragon Ball :3. They'll love the comedy and it's not as violent when compared to Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back