• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

First Jobs....

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

pokepotterkhkids

Website
www.freewebs.com
So I recently got hired at a Recording Studio... After applying at walmart, 3 targets, taco bell, toys r us, babies r us, hot topic, 4 gamestops, chuck e cheese, ect. ect. ect.

This'll be my first job (and I suppose I'm lucky because I'm double-majoring in Theater/Film Performance, and Music and Minoring in Creative Writing. Now, I'm guessing I'm one of the younger members on the site, so I was wondering, when you were looking for your first job, how hard was it to find a job, what was your first job, where else did you apply, what was your starting salary, how long did you stay there, what did you learn from it? and all that fun chizz

TALK

x37rnu4

Awards
*narrows eyes* Are you younger than me? Because if so, then I really am depressed you got a job =______= (I've none D': Still, I won't give up! *determined face*)
But still, congrats on that~ Hope you enjoy yourself :B

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
when you were looking for your first job,
When I turned 15.

how hard was it to find a job,
My sister already worked there, and it was pouring down rain so my parents offered to drive the manager home so she offered me a job. "Just send him and and we'll get him started."

what was your first job,
Sam's Warehouse. It's one of those stores with the cheap items that you don't need.

where else did you apply,
I applied for Game 2-3 months after starting, just said if any part time worked opened up have a little look at my resume.

how long did you stay there,
Still there. One year and 3 months.

what did you learn from it?
That when things scan up on the computer for a different price that's on the shelf, and I can't change it, shit goes down.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
First worked at a gas station pumping gas. I still don't understand how people get hired to do that, apparently people are too lazy to pump their own gas still. Come home smelling of gas and diesel, was honestly the easiest job I had to this day aside from having to spray on axe thoroughly after coming home. Payed about $7.25 an hour, just sit outside and pump gas for people and talk to other people pumping. Yeah, more than one person being payed to hold down a button. Whew.

I work as a janitor now though. Not as glorifying a job as I'd hoped, but it's about the same pay as before and I just kinda sit around all day until something needs cleaned regularly. Pretty simple stuff.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, I was 18 when I got my first job. I saw signs around the school and my roommate was like "DO THIS WITH ME :D" so I applied. It was at my uni's Alumni Office of Development. I applied everywhere across school, and at GameStop/EB Games, Best Buy, Michaels, Joanns, Target, and Forever 21.

I worked there a year and a half, which was when I left the university.

I learned that people hate telemarkers or people asking for money, white rich people are jackasses, gay guys are super cute in their replies, if you accidentally dial 911 tell the operator there is no emergency so they don't fine the school, how to read a script like a boss, how to not cuss people off on the phone, how to tell when people are lying, how to get away with getting paid full hours while only working half that time.

Yeah.

I'm trying to find a new job now that I'm at another school. I plan on applying at GameStop again and this comic shop by my school. And just about every other place.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
The first job I got was at my high school when I was 17 as a student aid for the two secretaries that worked there. I guess I was a secretary for the secretaries. Usually those jobs go to the students that are in the business classes, but they asked for me because I knew both of them. As you'd expect it didn't pay a lot, but I did have spending money throughout my last two years of high school and the job wasn't bad. It was pretty standard stuff, mail delivery, file shredding, taking phone calls, and other standard office stuff.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
Got my first job at 18 scooping ice cream into cones for customers and making semi-complex dessert dishes at a restaurant. It was pretty much terrible.

right after moving out of my house.

not too hard, considering once two of my friends gave me recommendations i got the phone call right away.

nowhere, actually. first place i applied to.

what was your starting salary,
7.25/hr @_@

about 11 months i think.

that i can get exact change faster than a cash register.

Last edited:

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Still looking for my first job. I've applied (and reapplied) at many different places.
I almost got a job as a sales rep at Best Buy. Was talking to the Manager over the email, then he told me he told me he'd schedule me an interview and would send me the time and date once he had it scheduled. A couple days later, he sent me an email telling me I couldn't get an interview. Made me angry, would of been a great job (plus, it'd of paid about $11.50 an hour).

Recon

Art of War
Awards
First job was when I was 17 and I worked in a bike shop doing simple maintenance and basic bike build ups like Cruiser bikes. They'd never let me touch the Trek Modones, Ellsworth's bikes, or 8k-10k Colnago bikes lol. I'd aslo had to clean up most of the shop from time to time and redo all the clothes on the fixtures as well as clean them, which I dreaded at closing time. Overall, it was a pretty awesome job.

KaiSparda1018

Website
www.myspace.com
My first job was last summer working the morning shift at Dunkin Donuts. I was one of the openers, so I had to be there at 4am. All of the free coffee and donuts in the world don't make baking bagels at 4 in the morning pleasant. =_=

Gram

Banned
Awards
i was round 18 when i got my 1st job, had applied all over the damn town so it was hard to get one :I
quit it but ended up there again....

well the job itself is pretty easy but the constant stream of people/customers, stupid company/bosses, and constant tech issues make it so frustrating that i wish the damn building would burn down tonight.
plus all the hours of standing and ever random schedule justs makes what should be simple hard.

EVERYwhere

not to long i assure you, especially if things dont get changed >.>

how many drug addicts there truly are in my state, how annoying western unions and money orders can be, that the term 'truck day' is something to dread, not to fall on concrete floor and that computers being put in every damn thing (like our registers and photo machine) is truly more annoying the convenient.
so i pretty much learned nothing that is of future use -_-
what was your starting salary,
minimum wage so round 7 something an hour.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
First Job: Newk's Express Cafe, Washer of Le Bonking Dishes

Worked there for three years straight, starting salary was $7.25 - got it upped to $7.75 when I realized new employees were bragging about their earnings - wages aren't a too big issue for me, as long as I enjoy myself at work to an extent (as long as I make a little more than new people >:[). First six months I never spoke to anyone - since then I'm either 'the douchebag asshole guy who knows better than you' or the 'okay dude who skips along and makes everything a game.' No one else there still can wash dishes faster or make them cleaner than me. :/

Gradually I got around to [Iguessyoucouldcallit] Cook, Cashier, 'Waiter,' and Prep. The old General Manager liked everyone being able to do everything in the restaurant so if shit happened, we'd still be 'K. New one was bonking stupid and terribad.

Hoping to get the job back there soon on the weekends.

._.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
First job was Smoothie King. It was the first place I tried. Asked for an application, got an interview, got the job, worked there for 8 months, easiest job ever, was lots of fun, I learned how to deal with crappy people, and I made money. Also, I got free smoothies 8D

No "real job" since then. I'm just a student.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
First real job? Bath & Body Works sale associate. I was only there for seasonal, got paid minimum wage, watched people get pissy about lotion. I applied at a couple of other places and got call backs, but BBW hired me before the other places called back.

Awards
Only had two jobs. First was at a regional supermarket, Market Basket, as a bag boy. Pretty standard stuff. About 4 months in, they asked if I could go to dairy department since they said I was a hard working and quick with my hands. I said yes simply because I was tired of wearing an apron and wanted to wear one of those blue smocks.

Worst decision, it blew, and I don't know why I stuck with it as long as I did. It was just overwhelming because they were always understaffed and there was always something you wouldn't have time to do and that they'd yell at you for. In dairy, we were in charge of filling eggs, cheese, milk, creamers, fruit drinks, and other assorted refrigerated items.

The problem was that they always expected by closing time for you to have "broken down" that aisle, plus the frozen food/deserts aisles which was pretty much impossible. By that, I mean you would have to bring forward products (or in the case of yogurt, which was always a bitch, stack them on top of each other 3 high in the front row) to make the cases look full. And they'd have you do it constantly rather than give you the time to actually fill them, so they'd either bitch about you not filling something or how it wasn't broken down properly. Wouldn't let you wear gloves either unless you were breaking down frozen food, but it was still cold enough for your hands to get all cracked and my finger nails to get bloody.

Not to mention you realize how bonking lazy people are, always putting things back where they don't belong (which significantly takes away from our time), like just tossing a can of soup in with the cheese. And people always bitching about how we don't have x product, forcing you to go to the back fridge to check for a product which you know had no shipments.

Quit that job because I got sick of it (they wouldn't let me move back to being a bagger boy or any other department). After a few months I found a job at another regional store, Christmas Tree Shop. Despite the name, it's year-round trinkets and other useless shit. I was put in shipping.
It was pretty shitty too but I enjoyed some aspects of it.

It was nice that because I worked out back in the warehouse and didn't have to interface with customers much, there wasn't a very stringent dress code, I could just throw on shorts, a t-shirt, a back belt for heavy lifting and some gloves when I used my box cutter. Much better than having to wear a shirt and tie, dress khakis, dress shoes, a smock, and having to be clean shaven at Market Basket. When we received shipments, one person would have to go into the truck and place all the boxes on an assembly line contraption while everyone else would take them off and sort them on to their respective pallets. Sometimes it would get way too hot in the truck and it was the most exhausting part of the job but the way I looked at it was that it ended up being a good workout.

Next we would take each pallet and unbox all of the products, price tag them or give them any other special treatments they needed (like assembling the lamps). Styrofoam was always a bitch. Then we would load them up on trays to be brought out front. This part of the job could really drag on and it got pretty monotonous. But the nice part was that while I was working there, the backroom manager had quit and they couldn't find a new one, so they just essentially had one of the associates as a de facto manager, but she didn't give two shits about anything as long as we were working. So we could talk about whatever and sometimes sneak off food shipments to eat lol.

All the guys that worked back there were nice too. Funny thing was that most of them were ex convicts, so I'd always get the odd story, like how one of them did some pearling in prison. The one really shitty aspect of the job was that it was minimum wage (Market Basket was pretty low but you got a 25 cent raise every 6 months, plus a Christmas bonus), so you had to put in a lot of hours.

When I studied abroad this past semester, I had to quit, and I told them I had no interest in coming back. Sooo, yeah, just came back, and I'll be on the prowl for another job soon. Not sure what I'll try looking for, I'd really like to get a job at my college though for convenience.

EDIT: Holy shit that was a lot longer than I thought it was, haha.

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me
Apart from the rare freelance work in illustration, I've been in cater-waiting since I was 18 or 19, on and off. It's easy work and the pay is more consistent than in table-waiting. I've also gotten some modelling opportunities out of it, especially working in Los Angeles.

Mythological Omega

the arsenal of megadeth
Technically, my first job was at a movie theater, but I didn't stay long enough for it to really impact anything. So my first *real* job was at McDonald's.
how hard was it to find a job
Pretty easy, my best friend worked there and he put in a good word for me.
where else did you apply
Nowhere.
what was your starting salary
$6.51/hr
how long did you stay there
2 years.
The fast food industry sucks, people are dicks, major fast food corporations don't give two shits about their employees, and that I'm a fucking wizard when it comes working the register at just about any fast food place (I've worked at Burger King and Braum's since then).

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
was at the public Library when I was 17, good times.

Lancelot

It's the only NEET thing to do.
Awards
I actually had a job when I was about 11 working at my father's friend's pizza bar. Mainly it was just tasks such as refilling containers of ingredients when they were getting low, helping to organize things here and there in a better manner, occasionally answering the phone and writing orders, making some of the orders, and folding the actual pizza boxes~ It went on for a few months, every Friday after school, and I got a pizza + drink(s) out of it in addition to some money for doing the bits here and there. Ended up netting $20-$30 for an evening of work, so I was one happy chappy~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back