• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why America Isn't the Greatest Country in the World

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gram

Banned
Awards
^ Ditto. Still here people going on about it at work like its the biggest damn shock in the world to them.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I think (aside from wildly patriotic hicks) most people in America know this by now. Nothing new here.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
At one time we were the greatest nation in the world, i just wonder when things started to take a turn for the worst.
January 20, 2001.

[video=youtube;rXzgMdj5urs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXzgMdj5urs[/video]

And I'm not blaming all of our problems on George Bush, nor am I saying his opponents would have done any better than he did. I'm just saying, when Clinton was in office, there were no wars that America was involved in and the economy was at a peak only comparable to the roaring 20s.

Last edited:

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
I'm not even sure if there was a time when we legitimately were the greatest country on earth, seeing that we still had to improve on things that some other countries were already good with.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
We are great because we build public housing for low income people in the city and then kick them out of them so that rich people can move in and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars/millions of dollars for a unit in that same building.

Michael Jackson

There are over 200 active American military bases all over the world.
There are no foreign military bases in the USA.
We forcefully inject ourselves into other nations and sell our culture to them.
That's why the architecture, fashion, and all sorts of media of *everywhere* so closely resembles the American society.
The USA is the socio-politically dominant nation. It's military might and exportation of pop culture will keep it as a strong, perhaps the strongest, country in the world for the foreseeable future.

Kisame

What bothers me is most people that judge or say things about America are either guessing or repeating something they heard from someone else. History is actually really important, most people neglect it and its a shame.

As for the concept of the Greatest Country. I really don't think that's at all a thing. I was looking through my Grandfather's letters to my Grandmother from when he was in the Korean War and he said (I will paraphrase this because it was...well yeah) "As for when we leave, we will leave once we have made enough money from this". That really hits home. Making money off of war. That just makes me sick, and it hit my Grandfather the same way.

Sure we may be better off than smaller underprivileged countries. What is the cost though? Slaughter for money? Yeah that's great. The country with the biggest guns and the most resources wins.

Just something to think about, what really defines "Greatest". I know some days I don't really contribute to society or help out people the way I should, but I think if I give up hope and just quit, then we may end up in worse condition than we are now.

If I had the money to help people in other nations, I would. Does that make me a saint? No. I don't care about labels, if it was up to me I would do it anonymously.

Did I mention I rant/ramble sometimes? Hopefully that doesn't get too annoying.

noxious.sunshine

Nah. 'Murika ain't the greatest. .... ... .. ... ..

Unless ... NM NM NM. That almost got really bad.

Anywho. If you ask my parents, they'll say it is even though it has it's flaws. But, my dad comes from a military background (he & his dad were both in war, & my parents both hauled military equipment for the Gubment for ever since I was 12 until last Spring - nearly 20 years).

I wanna go live in Amsterdam or Canadia. Or Sweden. I hear Sweden has a pretty sweet deal on edumacation and stuff. I just hate cold weather, though. Amsterdam, well... For obvious reasons. XDDD

axel95

Awards
Amsterdam, well... For obvious reasons. XDDD
You can just move to Colorado or Washington.

As for America being the greatest country: I'm with the "I don't believe there is such a thing" crowd. Most countries have good things and bad things. And honestly, if America doesn't get its economy figured out, it won't exist the way it does now in 25 years, probably less than that.

Passion

Silver Member
Awards
yo, I heard that 'Merica chick is like a Monet: pretty from far away but a big, hot mess up close.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I think the greatness thinking has it`s roots in an idea called: The Manifest Destiny. I was on course in the University which main topic was the founding era of The United States. We discussed about the manifest destiny also. If I remember correctly the theory was about why the people of America have right to expand their borders. It also spoke something about them being chosen by God etc..
Maybe this has something to do with it, although I don`t think many support this theory anymore. Just an interesting fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back