• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

How about this: let's not compare the Japanese voices with their English counterparts, and leave it at that ;D

Venitas

I agree. Most of the Japanese voices sound annoying in my opinion. I mean... have you heard Mickey, Donald, Goofy and Pete?

The reason we think tht Jap disney voices sound weird is bcuz they originated in AMERICA. we got use 2 the english VAs, and so jap VAs sound weird.

in my opinion, the jap disney voices sound identical

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

The reason we think tht Jap disney voices sound weird is bcuz they originated in AMERICA. we got use 2 the english VAs, and so jap VAs sound weird.
l

Same thing can be said to those who hate the English voices ;)

But seriously Goofy does sounds like a retard in japanese.

Sempied

Same thing can be said to those who hate the English voices ;)

But seriously Goofy does sounds like a retard in japanese.
No offense, but I loled almost to death when I heard Mickey, in japanese. It was literally like a japanese guy used helium, and would try to see what would happen.

I have mixed feeling of this Dub vs. Original.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

No offense, but I loled almost to death when I heard Mickey, in japanese. It was literally like a japanese guy used helium, and would try to see what would happen.

lol yeah, same thing happened here. But when I heard Goofy I was just like "wooow 0_0 They're REALLY going for this!"

I have to give credit though that their Donald does sound similar to our's... but because it's in Japanese it just sounds like gibberish and makes it much more annoying.

Sempied

Has anyone asked any VA's about anything? I know Jesse McCartney, and Willa Holland have a twitter, while Corey Burton has a official site.

Awards

Has anyone asked any VA's about anything? I know Jesse McCartney, and Willa Holland have a twitter, while Corey Burton has a official site.

They're probably not allowed to talk about it, but give it a try...

Sempied

Last edited:

Sempied

Once the game has been revealed, show via trailer, gameplay, scenes, voice actor crediting on SE site. You'd think that they'd be able to talk about it now anywayz.

< Does not have twitter

Willa Twitter: Willa Holland (officialwillajc) on Twitter

Jesse Twitter: Jesse McCartney (JesseMcCartney) on Twitter

Lenard Nimoy: http://twitter.com/therealnimoy

Corey Burton Official Home Website: coreyburton.com

Nimoy generally responds to many who ask, it's likely when recording many of the cast could've met other VA's while even passing down the hall.

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards

Nah, they usually VA by themselves at different times. For instance, Quinton Flynn has never met Jesse McCartney, even though they are like costars.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Nah, they usually VA by themselves at different times. For instance, Quinton Flynn has never met Jesse McCartney, even though they are like costars.

Yeah. They call them in at different times and have them in their own booth. It really depends on the director and if they like their stars interacting or not. Most of the time, they don't.

Allister Rose

French Lover

You remember that in the BBS Ultimania that Nomura commented that he thought the english voice acting was good right? As pointed out via Derek Stephen Prince (Quinton Flynn was predetermined for Axel) that Kingdom Hearts goes auditioning style. Which means that some person including Nomura would be there to judge a voice to fit the right characters. So if Aqua's grunts sounded great you'd assume she'd be great? That's a real double standard considering we've only had about 5 minutes worth of Aqua scenes compared to the entire game length that is 45+ hours.

Wat? Have you SEEN/HEARD of the movie "The Expendables"(Bruce Willis, Jet Li, Terry Crews, Stallone Schwarzenegger, Statham)? (A.K.A. THEE BADASS MOVIE OF THE SUMMER!!!!???)

BOT: Star studded cast has always been a grand line of SE. Just look at how well they had done the Final Fantasy series. Of course there is going to be a difference between Megumi, and Willa. Different perspectives of characters go a long way, as with SE/Willa might've wanted to mold Aqua to her more strong feminine lead rather than that cutesty voice Megumi had Willa could be presenting the stronger side of Aqua. There are plenty more scenes in this game that are emotional that asking for a slipper, and that god awful fruit speech.

Doesn't her being "shy" point out that Willa isn't being a flat, deadpan, emotionless VA? Literally if you want emotionless, deadpan, and flat go watch/listen to Mena Suvari as Aerith. There are 2 side to every personality Megumi the cute Aqua, and Willa the strong badassery Aqua pulls off in this 45+ hour game.

Just look at the Final Fantasy XIII first english trailer: Everyone though it was dirt in voices, bu i turned out to be an earlier recording. Not o mention as I said before o he Jesse McCartney scenario. When people heard Roxas in english at first they cried, died, and moped. Nowadays it's a blood oath practically that must play him.

EDIT: Not all JRPG have good dubs. just look a Baten Kaitos, and.....ugh Chaos Wars. (I'd even throw a Tales of game in there, but Vesperia says no.)
To be honest, i heard both shy and flat f you could believe that. but i do not hear any "strong" in willa holland's VA. i will admit the third linein the trailer was good, but simply because there was not much emotion to go on. and i never heard of Baten Kaitos or Chaos Wars. Also megumi wasn't that cute, she was strong in most of the game. WIlla holland has a lower tone of voice but that doesnt mean she has a strong voice.
Here's another possibility: their sound mix for the trailer was awful and not at all representative of the final game. Seriously, whoever decided to halve the volume of the audio in the gameplay clips needs to be smacked. And there's no way to know who's speaking loudly enough when we don't have sound effects to compare their voices to. =/
that's also a possibility.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

How do they do it ?

Well the fact that they basically have one person sit down to do recording without really telling them that much about the character. They basically just say "act out these lines" without telling much about the character. That and in many scenarios the actors have to lip synch into the character animations when normally it's supposed to be the other way around (that the animations are supposed to synch with the actors, not the actors synch into the animations) Plus if there is a scene where 2 people are talking to each other, normally you would have the 2 actors who play as those characters in the same room speaking the lines to each other (for example, if you go to "Toy Story 3" videos you'll see Tim Allan would be in the same room as Tom Hanks) while here, it's just one actor in one room. Heck Quintin Flynn never even met Jesse McCartney despite having a lot of dialogue between Axel and Roxas.

It's like everything is backwards in English dubbing Japanese games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back