• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YUPPP

Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

Well the fact that they basically have one person sit down to do recording without really telling them that much about the character. They basically just say "act out these lines" without telling much about the character. That and in many scenarios the actors have to lip synch into the character animations when normally it's supposed to be the other way around (that the animations are supposed to synch with the actors, not the actors synch into the animations) Plus if there is a scene where 2 people are talking to each other, normally you would have the 2 actors who play as those characters in the same room speaking the lines to each other (for example, if you go to "Toy Story 3" videos you'll see Tim Allan would be in the same room as Tom Hanks) while here, it's just one actor in one room. Heck Quintin Flynn never even met Jesse McCartney despite having a lot of dialogue between Axel and Roxas.

It's like everything is backwards in English dubbing Japanese games.

Yeah that is rather peculiar .

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me

The Acting Alone thing is something that they've been doing for quite a long time now, state side, and it's never been limited to over-dubbing. Disney, for example, has been doing it that way for years, as have most other studios. It's more cost-effective, and it gets things done faster than if they were to try and coordinate all of the actor's schedules to record together at once.

It may not be ideal for the actors, but it's ideal for the studios.

Sempied

The way they do voice acting dubs for Japanese games is very strange...
I always find this funny by how true this is.

When they japanese dub games/anime their usually in 1 small, crowded room, with mics for each actor. I can only imagine how bloopers, and other costars can hold back themselves while doing epic scenes for their characters, while the rest of the cast just sits around them.

Literally imagineThe Terra screaming scene While Okiayu was trying to record while the rest of the cast try to hold themselves back for a reaction.

Sempied

To be honest, i heard both shy and flat f you could believe that. but i do not hear any "strong" in willa holland's VA. i will admit the third linein the trailer was good, but simply because there was not much emotion to go on. and i never heard of Baten Kaitos or Chaos Wars. Also megumi wasn't that cute, she was strong in most of the game. WIlla holland has a lower tone of voice but that doesnt mean she has a strong voice.

that's also a possibility.
I was taking the gameplay into consideration as well. We've got to be listening to 2 different people if you don't hear any emotion in her gameplay. Willa Holland actually sounds like she's in battle

Allister Rose

French Lover

I was taking the gameplay into consideration as well. We've got to be listening to 2 different people if you don't hear any emotion in her gameplay. Willa Holland actually sounds like she's in battle
well that's your opinion.

IMO she sounded pretty flat, and i know i'm not the only one who thinks this too, so you can't stress your opinion as easily to go against mine. And of course anyone will sound "strong" in battle.

but that's not why i'm complaining about her, though i don't really enjoy the battle screams either.

EDIT:Also it's not megumi did a lesser job of willa. i don't know why people say megumi sounds sute and willa sounds strong. the battle both sound strong but for me, willa sounds like she's in pain after the end of the screams.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

IMO she sounded pretty flat, and i know i'm not the only one who thinks this too, so you can't stress your opinion as easily to go against mine. And of course anyone will sound "strong" in battle.

but that's not why i'm complaining about her, though i don't really enjoy the battle screams either.

EDIT:Also it's not megumi did a lesser job of willa. i don't know why people say megumi sounds sute and willa sounds strong. the battle both sound strong but for me, willa sounds like she's in pain after the end of the screams.

The Japanese voice actress for Aqua sounded like she was 15 when she's supposed to be a young adult around the age of 19-20.

And I don't hear how Aqua sounds "flat" or anything. But then again I guess we don't have those "special headphones" -_- (no, I'm never going to forget that comment)

Allister Rose

French Lover

The Japanese voice actress for Aqua sounded like she was 15 when she's supposed to be a young adult around the age of 19-20.

And I don't hear how Aqua sounds "flat" or anything. But then again I guess we don't have those "special headphones" -_- (no, I'm never going to forget that comment)

it's not like i'm regretting saying it. i still stand by it. but please try not to sound like a total jerk

but anyways, we don't know her age and she doesn't look that old. not even in the original scans and in the BBS-days-coded art work she did appear that young.

Sempied

I never said that. I said that it was more so a coined personality. Aqua in english will probably not sound like her japanese counterpart (Just look at Lightning from FFXIII Ali Hillis vs. Maaya Sakamoto) I hear plenty of emotion as I've passed through every bit of her clips my opinion is my opinion as your own is yours. Hence why it actually sounds like she's in battle. The only japanese performances I didn't enjoy were Okaiyu as Terra, and japanese MX.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

it's not like i'm regretting saying it. i still stand by it. but please try not to sound like a total jerk

but anyways, we don't know her age and she doesn't look that old. not even in the original scans and in the BBS-days-coded art work she did appear that young.

I'm very certain that it was confirmed somewhere that Terra and Aqua were young adults. Face it: They do NOT look like they're 16 or whatever, they'd have to ATLEAST be 18. And again, in the artwork even she still didn't look like she was 15. That's almost like saying Aqua looks like Xion (which was a real thread caused by stupidity)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Originally Posted by Allister Rose

You know what? I'm getting tired of this. Stop bringing Megumi up. Her voice will not be coming out of Aqua's mouth in the english version, so quit comparing her with Willa.

And yes, we all have our own opinions. Some of us like Willa, some of us don't. But the fact that you keep bringing up how it's just our opinion, and proceeding to counterattack and try to convince us differently isn't helping. Take your own advice and stop "stressing your opinion to go against everyone elses".

Everyone just quit arguing over the voices and just leave it alone. How about that? Willa has beaten who knows how many other VAs for Aqua's role, and she was chosen for a reason.

But hey, it's just my opinion. What do I know? >.>

Imo, she just sounded kinda...fake. I have nothing against the voice, but it sounds so obvious that it's an adult trying to imitate a teenager.

I figured everyone already forgot about that already o_O

simple&cleanxiii

Bronze Member

lolololol. You're never going to let that go, are you?
Anyways, I always thought that the Jp VA for Aqua sounded too young for her as you said. I think that the english VA has the right tone and such, it's just a matter of her acting. I rewatched the E3 trailer and the TGS trailer and I thought that Willa acted way better than the original VA, she sounded like she was strong and had more emotion imo.
....Also, am I the only person who thinks that English!Terra sounds a bit like Cloud/Zack? That's probably just me though.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

lol people attempting to defend terribad voice acting

sonickenshin

Awards

....Also, am I the only person who thinks that English!Terra sounds a bit like Cloud/Zack? That's probably just me though.
No, you're not.

But, anyway...I think Megumi's gives Aqua a bit of a nice girl vibe, but she can definitely go into warrior mode in a second. Yes, she sounded young. But, Megumi's Aqua had personality. Willa's Aqua is a different character altogether. Her voice gives a tough girl vibe, but...I dunno where the rest goes. Her voice tends to give a sarcastic vibe...so I need to hear her portraying Aqua's more feminine sides in a little less awkward/flat/wooden delivery...or in the whole glass slipper case...less awkward awkwardness. Her voice CAN work for the character. She just needs to find her groove so it feels like...well...Aqua. Right now? I'm not feeling it.

I'm not a fan of Chikao Otsuka. But, somehow, I liked him as Master Xehanort. His hammy acting just...works. His charisma just hit it were it mattered. Though something about Leonard Nimoy's voice gives a different Xehanort that also seems to work. With that voice, you won't see that he's evil, and the gravelly texture kind of adds a bit of a dark, calculating (?) sort of vibe. But yeah...that's all I could say about the two lines. But, it feels like the character.

Ryotaro Okaiyu's Terra's a unique case. His stoic voice is a heavy contrast to the naivety he brought in the performance, and it just clicked with the character.

That's just my take on it...

simple&cleanxiii

Bronze Member

No you aren't. In fact that's the reason my guess for Terra's VA is Steve Burton (Cloud)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- Cloud as Terra D:
I'm probably alone on this but Cloud's voice annoys the hell out of me. Him and Aerith/Aeris burn my ears with their voices.

Venitas

You guys ever play Smash Bros. Brawl? After watching the Olympus Colliseum vid, Terra's VA sounds likes Ike's, especially when he says "FIRE" and "WANT SOME?"

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me

I'm probably alone on this but Cloud's voice annoys the hell out of me. Him and Aerith/Aeris burn my ears with their voices.
And yet you defend Willa Holland. :C

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

I'd agree with you on Aerith but I thought Cloud did good. It's just because Cloud is emo and therefore can get annoying.

Besides, I'd take Steve Burton as Terra then Christain Bale (yes I know I only saw him from Batman but... His batman role was AWFUL!) Plus, Bale as Terra isn't even believable and I've already mentioned several reasons why it's not believable.

Turn

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ~&#
Awards
Website
flavors.me

And why is anyone even still entertaining the possibility that Christian Bale is playing Terra, at this point?

Color me sincerely confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back