• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Toonami

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
Re: Toonami - ONE PIECE ON LINEUP!

Well this is good news. I've always been wanting to find an excuse to watch it/read it, so this is perfect. Dunno how much I'll get into it, but we'll see.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards

So Naruto, One Piece, Soul Eater, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, FMAB,.....yeah It's good. If only we had Season 2 of Deadman Wonderland, Durarara, and Stg. Frog then It would be fantaisc.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards

It's about time they added One Piece! But the series is so long and at one episode a week, it would take forever to get past all the silly beginning stuff and onto the more serious and epic stuff later on.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

i've been a fan of one piece for like 9 or 10 years now and i can't stress enough how apathetic i am towards this being on toonami

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com

Yeah you guys really underplay the early One Piece arcs. Because for me, it's amazing from beginning to end. Granted, I never watched the anime.

Lol welp.

I'm in the camp that didn't really think One Piece was tight until the Arlong Park arc. But all my friends who resisted reading it until I finally wore them down have been hooked since Zoro's introduction (like, the 3rd chapter). Guess it varies. IMO, the anime definitely moves at a slower pace than the manga, even ignoring fillers, so it's reception isn't as positive. Still, it's pretty fucking amazing, the dub included. I've always thought people who label all dubs as atrocious on sight are pretty narrow-minded and just come across as hipsters.

Relix

A traveler
Awards

I'm be of the people who found it amazing from start to finish though I can understand people who don't enjoy rewatching weekly, one episode at a time. I for one could care less. I'm all for it

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

I like One Piece and all, I just find it unfortunate that Toonami has to resort to these licenses. I mean, it's fine for pure shounen fans, but I think it's best use would be to branch out and give more kinds of anime the attention they so desperately need. Granted, Toonami's already struggling with the fact that it's a relic of an era now past; but I'd just like to see more varied series getting some time on American broadcasting again (even if I do understand why they'd stock up on the popular shounen ones).

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

I like One Piece and all, I just find it unfortunate that Toonami has to resort to these licenses. I mean, it's fine for pure shounen fans, but I think it's best use would be to branch out and give more kinds of anime the attention they so desperately need. Granted, Toonami's already struggling with the fact that it's a relic of an era now past; but I'd just like to see more varied series getting some time on American broadcasting again (even if I do understand why they'd stock up on the popular shounen ones).

Yeah, nobody on Toonami is really getting paid for running it so it's essentially just a hobby maintained by diehard fans. It's only natural that they would get the big franchises over trying to air something more experimental, as unfortunate as that is.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

I…don't understand what's with all the pessimism.

It's not pessimism.

Why should I be excited for something that's coming to America (again) when I've already followed it for ten years already. There's nothing to really get worked up about.

Toonami has been incredibly boring so far. Like Nyangoro said, it's sad to see that they're trying to coast by on shows like Naruto, One Piece, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Dragon Ball as some point. Toonami can't coast on nostalgia alone: the initial impact of it being revived is gone, and now it's struggling to stay afloat. Airing series that are ridiculously popular and have been around for years now isn't exactly the best plan. I for one won't tune in to Toonami because there's nothing on there that I haven't already seen or read year's ago.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com

It's not pessimism.

Why should I be excited for something that's coming to America (again) when I've already followed it for ten years already. There's nothing to really get worked up about.

Toonami has been incredibly boring so far. Like Nyangoro said, it's sad to see that they're trying to coast by on shows like Naruto, One Piece, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Dragon Ball as some point. Toonami can't coast on nostalgia alone: the initial impact of it being revived is gone, and now it's struggling to stay afloat. Airing series that are ridiculously popular and have been around for years now isn't exactly the best plan. I for one won't tune in to Toonami because there's nothing on there that I haven't already seen or read year's ago.

I disagree about One Piece. Bringing it to Toonami is great news, even for people who've already been following it for years, because it gives the show a chance to really gain a following in North America. One Piece doesn't have the popularity here that Dragonball, Naruto, or even Bleach do because of the atrocious 4Kidz dub, and this could change some of that. I'm excited at the prospect of it becoming a little more popular because I have many friends (both manga/anime fans, and not) who never wanted to give One Piece a shot because they remember the 4Kidz dub being so shitty.

I agree on your other points, but I think it's fair to be excited about the (re)introduction of One Piece to Toonami.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards

It's not pessimism.

I think there rebuilding their base. But It be nice to add another new anime to draw people who have alredy seen all thease classics

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

I disagree about One Piece. Bringing it to Toonami is great news, even for people who've already been following it for years, because it gives the show a chance to really gain a following in North America. One Piece doesn't have the popularity here that Dragonball, Naruto, or even Bleach do because of the atrocious 4Kidz dub, and this could change some of that. I'm excited at the prospect of it becoming a little more popular because I have many friends (both manga/anime fans, and not) who never wanted to give One Piece a shot because they remember the 4Kidz dub being so shitty.

What would make people who were introduced to the 4Kidz dub want to give this a second try on Toonami?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

It's better to target a new audience than to spend a lot of effort/money regaining a lost one unless it's a vital segment. And let's face it, the "North American consumers who still haven't checked out One Piece after all this time because of the 4kids dub" segment just isn't large enough to warrant it. Hell, even the Funimation dub has been around for years. It being on Toonami won't change the majority of those who've already written it off for so long, as sad as that may be.

Problem is that they need air it earlier. No one's staying up till 1 in the morning to watch some damned cartoons.

A perception that's long since been the biggest obstacle in anime being taken seriously overseas. And unfortunately, television has already past the point where it was at its most influential (even though it had one hell of a run).

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com

What would make people who were introduced to the 4Kidz dub want to give this a second try on Toonami?

What stops them from watching it? There's no harm in airing the show to try and capture the audience who missed it years ago. Maybe:

They're watching Toonami already, and decide to give it another shot (it happens, even if rarely. I did it exactly a year ago).
They're watching a few shows on Toonami, but decide they're going to pass up One Piece because of their earlier experiences. Some friends who decide otherwise talk the show up weeks later, and they decide to try it again.

And you're ignoring the people who either never heard of the show in the past and decide to try it now, or the younger generation who are being introduced to ALL of these properties through Toonami.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

I'd rather they attempt to cater to a younger generation with newer shows, though. Always watching the old stuff will just leave things stagnating. I know that people say there's a lack of quality content in modern anime; but personally, I think that's bs. There's a lot of shows (already dubbed/with a dub in the works) that the younger generation of anime fan could grow up with instead.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards

Problem is that they need air it earlier. No one's staying up till 1 in the morning to watch some damned cartoons.
they should switch the expired animation domination run they do from 9-12 with toonami.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

They're watching a few shows on Toonami, but decide they're going to pass up One Piece because of their earlier experiences. Some friends who decide otherwise talk the show up weeks later, and they decide to try it again.

If I had a friend I was trying to get into One Piece I don't think I would tell them to watch it on Toonami. There's more convenient places to experience it.

Back